Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-21-2012, 02:19 PM
navid navid is offline
Registered User
Location: Vancouver
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 318ti
e39 rough cold running

Hi every one..
I just got on this forume.

I need your help.
I have an " E39 1997 540i 160.000km "to deal with and its giving me a hard time.
It runns rough in the mornning "cold" and feels like its missing one cylinder .
Engine light on! code p0300 random misfire and cylinder nr 8 cylinder nr 5.
cleared the code drive it ...%100 ok as long s you don't push it!
The moment its goes over 5000rpm the light is flashing and the codes come back.
Mostly misfire nr 8!
i checked the plugs & replaced them,inc air and feul filter because it looks like it doesn't get enough feul....put gas treetment and 94 Octane gas,no change!
checked compresion on all bank 2 inc nr 5 & 8 around 175psi.....
swaped coils from bank 1 to bank 2 no change......
cleaned & swaped injectors from 5&8 with 6&7 no change......
I don't know if it could be the oil seperator behind the intake !?
Help me out!!!!!

Thanks

Last edited by navid; 11-21-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 11-21-2012, 02:31 PM
vavet5308 vavet5308 is online now
NADAVAN
Location: Mechanicsville, VA
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 503
Mein Auto: 2002 525it
Have you tried doing a leakdown test? With this test, you apply compressed air to the cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke while both valves should be closed. A built-in gauge tell you how much air is escaping. You then have to listen for the leak to determine the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-21-2012, 02:37 PM
navid navid is offline
Registered User
Location: Vancouver
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 318ti
No i didnt try yet....
I wanted to do it,but i don't have the leak down tester!!!!!
Have to see were i can get it,but i am wondering why the code comes up only when i drive it and not when its ideling....even when i go over 5000RPM.
It's happening only under load.....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-21-2012, 03:50 PM
edjack edjack is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Jose, CA
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 8,845
Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Do the cats rattle? If so, they may be clogged up, and this can cause random multiple misfires.

It's a little early for failed cats, but your mileage may vary.

The oil separator is behind the timing cover. The crankcase vent valve is on the backside of the intake manifold. Not likely to cause misfires.
__________________


Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

Last edited by edjack; 11-21-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-21-2012, 04:28 PM
navid navid is offline
Registered User
Location: Vancouver
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 318ti
Thanks
It is a good idea to take the o2 sensor out and than drive it to see what happends.....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-21-2012, 06:17 PM
vavet5308 vavet5308 is online now
NADAVAN
Location: Mechanicsville, VA
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 503
Mein Auto: 2002 525it
Quote:
Originally Posted by navid View Post
No i didnt try yet....
I wanted to do it,but i don't have the leak down tester!!!!!
Have to see were i can get it,but i am wondering why the code comes up only when i drive it and not when its ideling....even when i go over 5000RPM.
It's happening only under load.....
Perhaps it's not that the cylinder isn't firing at all, but it's not doing as well as it the others. I'm pretty sure the engine computer (DME) looks only at crankshaft speed to know when there has been a misfire. If the crankshaft doesn't accelerate appropriate when a cylinder is on the power stroke, the DME assumes that cylinder has misfired. Some newer engines are more advanced and have other ways to detect a misfire. So...with that in mind, perhaps the cylinder does OK at idle, but not when pushed hard. I've seen it happen, not on a BMW, but that was traced back to a spark plug wire - completely different ignition set up than you have and besides, you've already swapped coils, plugs, and fuel injectors - great troubleshooting already.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cylinde...ter-94190.html
I don't have any experience with this one, but it might be worth trying. You might also try ebay. For a little more money, you'll probably get a much nicer unit.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-24-2012, 03:13 PM
navid navid is offline
Registered User
Location: Vancouver
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 318ti
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vavet5308 View Post
Perhaps it's not that the cylinder isn't firing at all, but it's not doing as well as it the others. I'm pretty sure the engine computer (DME) looks only at crankshaft speed to know when there has been a misfire. If the crankshaft doesn't accelerate appropriate when a cylinder is on the power stroke, the DME assumes that cylinder has misfired. Some newer engines are more advanced and have other ways to detect a misfire. So...with that in mind, perhaps the cylinder does OK at idle, but not when pushed hard. I've seen it happen, not on a BMW, but that was traced back to a spark plug wire - completely different ignition set up than you have and besides, you've already swapped coils, plugs, and fuel injectors - great troubleshooting already.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cylinde...ter-94190.html
I don't have any experience with this one, but it might be worth trying. You might also try ebay. For a little more money, you'll probably get a much nicer unit.

Hi.
Thanks very much for the advice.
I found the problem by taking the 02sensor out and driving it!
Sure enough the Cat was pluging the exhaust!!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-24-2012, 03:15 PM
navid navid is offline
Registered User
Location: Vancouver
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 318ti
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
Do the cats rattle? If so, they may be clogged up, and this can cause random multiple misfires.

It's a little early for failed cats, but your mileage may vary.

The oil separator is behind the timing cover. The crankcase vent valve is on the backside of the intake manifold. Not likely to cause misfires.
Thank you to you too "a LOTTT"
It was the Cat !
i took the ) O2 sensor out and it was the end of the engine light on ans any code....
Thank you very much
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms