Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 12-12-2012, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: Vehicles
Going to dealership tomorrow!!!!

Been debating on which car to get from a M3 to the new 535...I can get 8% off msrp of any new car plus whatever BMW in throwing in at time of purchase. I have always been told to go the CPO route if I can find the car I like. I have 3 vehicles so they all get limited mileage so CPO works for me as long as the car is pristine. I have a few questions that I couldnt find direct answers to even though I'm sure they have been asked a million times.

I have 2 cpo M3's I like, a 2011 sedan w/15k miles and a 2009 coupe with 30k miles. There is a 13k price difference in cars, what should a good selling price point be? Are there any major differences between the '09 vs the '13 MY cars?

A buddy of mine suggested a 335 or 335is because of the TT motor, he has just a few mods done and the car is very quick but still get good mpg. I have been told to expect anything from 12-23mpg on the M3 from a sales guy, what is a more realistic expectation?

The sales guy suggested a new 535 because they cant give these cars away, was telling me that most people still prefer the previous generation of the 5 series, what is wrong with newest gen?

Thanks you all in advance
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2012, 02:45 PM
Gap Filler for a M6 GC?!?

Mein Auto: '10 550i M-Sport
I can give you my perspective on the new 5-series.

Background: In October we decided to turn in our leased '11 X3 early for personal reasons and move back into a 5-series. Prior to leasing the X3 we had an '07 550i, which was a very fun car to drive, but a bad car to ride passenger in due to the SMG transmission. The 5-series we looked at for replacement to the X3 was '10 550i (E60) CPO with very low miles and a new '13 550i (F10). Both cars had the M-Sport package, but the '13 had X-drive.

E60: When I test drove this car the first thing that struck me was the sport transmission was much smoother than the SMG. Other than that it reminded me a lot of the '07, fixing the two flaws of transmission smoothness and iDrive. Don't get me wrong though, when driving alone I wish I still had the SMG, it just no longer fits into my overall needs. The big difference between the two models really occurred when I drove the new one.

F10: First off, it was a very nice car with more space in the cabin than the E60. The TT engine pulled at lower rpms harder than the E60 NA. However, the car felt significantly bigger. And I mean bigger as in a little wider and a lot longer. It no longer felt like sport sedan, as the E60 did, but rather a luxury sedan. Luxury sedan is fine, but I wanted something that felt in the drivers seat more sporty. Full disclosure, the sales person was riding with me so I did not press the car on corners, so it may handle just as good as the E60, but my confidence won't quite be there as it is in a smaller feeling car.

The other thing that turned me off a bit was the interior layout. At first it reminded me of my old 3-series (a positive) where the controls were slighly turned in towards the driver (not like that in the E60), but the overall layout felt vertically flat with no appealing dimensions.

And to me those are the biggest differences between the two. Sure the technology in the new one is great, TT pull improved the engine, and the improved fuel economy would be nice, but these could not overcome for me the size and feeling difference.

Keep in mind, this is only one persons opinion. Happy shopping.

Last edited by DAI; 12-13-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:06 PM

Thanks for the opinion, I was busy today and couldnt connect with my sales guy so I blew it off. He called me and texted 5-6 times but was never at the dealership when I called and said he would meet me there. I was'nt going to drive 55 miles one way on a chance he might be there. Going to a dealership closest to me tomorrow and see what happens, I have avoided this dealership because the majority of people I know that have went there said its a wasted trip and bought elsewhere. I know a sales guy from the gym so I may get lucky and not waste my time by giving them another chance. His recommendation was the M3 because he said they will be out of production for a year so will hold their value better.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:59 PM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Ask the M3 questions in the M3 forum. Biggest difference between an '09 and '11? 2 years of warranty . M cars can be expensive out of warranty.

M3 and 535 are very different cars. These cars are luxuries, not investments. Pick the one you want, not the one that holds value better.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:21 AM

Thanks, will do.