Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 550I GT
Tire situation

I purchased my car 2 months ago. This car is certified pre-owned by BMW. The dealer installed 4 new tires before I purchased it. Now my situation...
As I was cleaning my wheels, I noticed the tires the dealer put on are NOT run flat tires. They are summer performance tires. I cant believe I did not notice this before. I called my dealer and they are checking into this. It sounds like they will install 4 run flat tires at there cost. I do drive this car in the cold weather where I live (no snow driving). It does not appear any all season tires are made in my size (275-35-20 and 245-40-20). My only choice appears to be Pirrelli P Zero's. I am half tempted to leave the tires I got with the car on it. I just dont want to get stranded anywhere. Does anybody know of a all season run flat tire in my size's ? I also wonder if BMW would requirer run flats to be put back on the car in order to have it pass certification?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09322.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	349742  
Ads by Google
Old 11-16-2012, 08:12 AM
figuring out my iDrive

Mein Auto: '11 535 GT xDrive
I just put the P Zero (18") run flats on my F07. If you're not driving in snow, I'm more than happy with them over an all season.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:50 AM

The dealer is looking for tires now. They said Pirelli is not coming up on there approved list for my car (whatever that means?)
The found GoodYear Excellence run flats that are approved for my car. Its a 3 season tire. Will research them now. The manager is very sorry about this. He emailed his parts invoice that shows his service department charged him for run flat tires. No idea where the breakdown was in communication. Im ok with it. Will schedule tire and oil pump replacement for the same time. No road trips for me until I get this resolved.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
Personal opinion, the dealer really screwed up. Second thought, unless you live where there's no snow, pottholes, and the roads are near perfect, it's foolish to have 20" wheels.

There are people who replace their runflats with 'normal' tires because they like the ride better and have more choices. Then, they carry around a tire pump with a sealant in it. That won't always reinflate the tire, and service people hate them, plus, it MIGHT ruin the TPMS and require a new one, adding yet another cost to replacing/fixing the tire.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:16 PM

Apt. On Tuesday for 4 new run flats, and oil pump replaced.