Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
Are people receiving the new nav units now for Nov build?

Let us know if you notice any difference in speed or software features.
Ads by Google
Old 11-23-2012, 09:06 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
The new nav is for 2014 models.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 11-23-2012, 11:50 PM

Mein Auto: boat
is the whole Idrive software different? or only the navigation part of the software?
Old 11-24-2012, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner44 View Post
is the whole Idrive software different? or only the navigation part of the software?
Much more than just navigation.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/07/12/bm...onnecteddrive/

Remains to be seen how much of the UI will be ported over for existing iDrive owners. The new system has faster processors but many of the new features don't seem to require it.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 11-24-2012, 07:02 AM
Vroom Vroom

Mein Auto: 328i
I can't wait to see this... It says that the knob will be coming out in 2013 but the nav and stystem changes take effect this month. I pick up my car on Monday night and I guess I will find out

When I get a good bit of time behind the wheel I will get pics and info!
Old 11-24-2012, 10:05 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
It has been previously reported that the north american F30 will not get any of the Nav enhancements till 2014 models which start arriving at dealers typically in August. Whether the current system will get another software update or two over the next couple of years remains to be seen, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: '02 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by armybiker View Post
I can't wait to see this... It says that the knob will be coming out in 2013 but the nav and stystem changes take effect this month. I pick up my car on Monday night and I guess I will find out

Wow! Was your car was ordered / built as a US-spec car or a Euro-spec car? Do you know what week it was built (PW45 or later)? Please let us know what you find on the navigation, as you'll help settle a debate that's been raging for months!
Old 11-25-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:

That's an old article. None of those goodies are coming out until next year.

BJ

Old 11-25-2012, 09:01 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Much more than just navigation.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/07/12/bm...onnecteddrive/

Remains to be seen how much of the UI will be ported over for existing iDrive owners. The new system has faster processors but many of the new features don't seem to require it.

BJ
None will be ported. The whole architecture -software and hardware- changed; only the metal casing and the screen resulution are carryovers.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Vroom Vroom

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnerJi View Post
Wow! Was your car was ordered / built as a US-spec car or a Euro-spec car? Do you know what week it was built (PW45 or later)? Please let us know what you find on the navigation, as you'll help settle a debate that's been raging for months!
Yes it's American Spec, I'm a soldier stationed in Germany and we order them straight from the factory. My car was built week 46.

I know the article is old but it's worth putting it to rest once and for all. I'll be able to tell everyone Monday night.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Yes it's American Spec, I'm a soldier stationed in Germany and we order them straight from the factory. My car was built week 46.

I know the article is old but it's worth putting it to rest once and for all. I'll be able to tell everyone Monday night.
You'll tell everyone Monday night that you have the same system as the rest of us do.

Don't let it ruin your delivery day.

BJ

Old 11-25-2012, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive
I have the knob in my 2013. The Nav is 3D and looks like the Nav in the picture. If we have a version number I can go look.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
None will be ported. The whole architecture -software and hardware- changed; only the metal casing and the screen resulution are carryovers.
I'm thinking some of the features that are software-based might become available retroactively for the older iDrive. New fonts, new colors, better voice recognition, new apps, etc.

If 80% of the new iDrive system depends upon the new hardware architecture, perhaps the other 20% will be given to us just for the sake of consistency. Not to mention, if BMW is trying to be serious about apps as a revenue stream, there are tens of millions of existing iDrive systems out there with eager buyers and it will take them 5 to 10 years to build up that type of userbase on the new platform.

BJ

Old 11-25-2012, 10:12 AM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
I'm thinking some of the features that are software-based might become available retroactively for the older iDrive. New fonts, new colors, better voice recognition, new apps, etc.

If 80% of the new iDrive system depends upon the new hardware architecture, perhaps the other 20% will be given to us just for the sake of consistency. Not to mention, if BMW is trying to be serious about apps as a revenue stream, there are tens of millions of existing iDrive systems out there with eager buyers and it will take them 5 to 10 years to build up that type of userbase on the new platform.

BJ
Doubt it. It would cost too much to try and port it over. Keep in mind, the next gen iDrive system will be cloud based(from what I've been told), so only then will we see new systems porting over to older cars.
Quote:
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:

BJ
No. They want you to have BMW Apps. That way they can continue to add services, via apps you have on your phone. This works best, and applies to both old and new platforms.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Doubt it. It would cost too much to try and port it over. Keep in mind, the next gen iDrive system will be cloud based(from what I've been told), so only then will we see new systems porting over to older cars.
What next gen system are you talking about? Something that is coming in 4+ years?
Old 11-25-2012, 11:16 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:

BJ
The best example of non-porting is in the 5-Series right now. There is none for pre-2013 F10 iDrive.

The development of the current iDrive software ended sometime at the end of last year. What you are seeing, and will continue to see for a short while, is just very minor fixes -if any- and not radical upgrades. The last meaningful CIC iDrive firmware update was back in 2010, and that only added some additional functionality to existing features and not any new screens, menus or colors.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
The best example of non-porting is in the 5-Series right now. There is none for pre-2013 F10 iDrive.

The development of the current iDrive software ended sometime at the end of last year. What you are seeing, and will continue to see for a short while, is just very minor fixes -if any- and not radical upgrades. The last meaningful CIC iDrive firmware update was back in 2010, and that only added some additional functionality to existing features and not any new screens, menus or colors.
I understand all of that, but just as other hardware manufacturers (Apple comes to mind) have future iterations that are superior to prior versions they find ways to incorporate some of the new features into the older models.

In the case of BMW, it would surprise me if all of the new pay-per-use apps or other revenue generators were pigeon-holed just for the handful of new cars coming out in 2014 instead of some modicum of reverse compatibility in the millions of existing cars out there.

We'll see.

BJ

Old 11-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
What next gen system are you talking about? Something that is coming in 4+ years?
We'll see the touch or iDrive before we see the cloud based system integrated. I say 4+ sounds about right. Again, I'm not sure how credible this source is but, just something I've been told by someone who claims to have goodies on insider info.
Quote:
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:19 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
I understand all of that, but just as other hardware manufacturers (Apple comes to mind) have future iterations that are superior to prior versions they find ways to incorporate some of the new features into the older models.

In the case of BMW, it would surprise me if all of the new pay-per-use apps or other revenue generators were pigeon-holed just for the handful of new cars coming out in 2014 instead of some modicum of reverse compatibility in the millions of existing cars out there.

We'll see.

BJ
This is more a business than a technical issue.

If anything, BMW ceased to even offer retrofits of options in the USA years ago. No iDrive update in the last 10 years have incorporated next gen improvements. They are not in the business of keeping old customers in old cars with new features.

If they really wanted to coerce current customers into pay-per-use apps then they should have made BMW Apps a full blown retrofit all the way to MY2009 in the 3- and 7-Series -the new CIC iDrive can be retrofitted to the 5-Series as far back as MY2004, so technically BMW Apps can be retrofitted as far back as MY2004. But they did not.

That tells you what their main business intention is in respect of updates/upgrades/retrofits.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
This is more a business than a technical issue.

If anything, BMW ceased to even offer retrofits of options in the USA years ago. No iDrive update in the last 10 years have incorporated next gen improvements. They are not in the business of keeping old customers in old cars with new features.

If they really wanted to coerce current customers into pay-per-use apps then they should have made BMW Apps a full blown retrofit all the way to MY2009 in the 3- and 7-Series -the new CIC iDrive can be retrofitted to the 5-Series as far back as MY2004, so technically BMW Apps can be retrofitted as far back as MY2004. But they did not.

That tells you what their main business intention is in respect of updates/upgrades/retrofits.
Understood. Remains to be seen if the apps revenue stream will entice them to change their strategy.

BJ

Old 11-25-2012, 05:06 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Mein Auto: 435, Grand Cherokee
So will this be out on the new 4 series coupes next year then?
Old 11-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snareman View Post
So will this be out on the new 4 series coupes next year then?
That is a completely reasonable expectation.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 11-25-2012, 05:11 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Mein Auto: 435, Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
That is a completely reasonable expectation.
It darn well better be since they are making me way sooooooo long to get a new car.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:17 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snareman View Post
It darn well better be since they are making me way sooooooo long to get a new car.
You're really suffering ain'tcha?!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **