Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645 ci convertible
rubber seal around windshield

Hello All,
I just checked pass thread searching for this issue and was unsuccessful. The rubber is cracking in a small chunks. What is the estimate price from the dealership to replace or would it cheaper to have a window repair shop to do repair.
Thank you for your time and consideration.

Blake
2005 vert 645 ci
Advertisement
Old 06-09-2013, 09:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakedanatural View Post
Hello All,
I just checked pass thread searching for this issue and was unsuccessful. The rubber is cracking in a small chunks. What is the estimate price from the dealership to replace or would it cheaper to have a window repair shop to do repair.
Thank you for your time and consideration.

Blake
2005 vert 645 ci
I had the same problem, it's pretty common . I got the rubber from eBay for $75.00 but its only about $130 from the dealer. My indie intalled it for labor and it took 1 hour.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 06-10-2013, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: '07 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseng View Post
I had the same problem, it's pretty common . I got the rubber from eBay for $75.00 but its only about $130 from the dealer. My indie intalled it for labor and it took 1 hour.
Really! Nice! I have a couple of bits missing on mine and thought it'd be a nightmare replacement. Doesn't need to be today, but maybe next trip to the part store. Thanks for the post/info.
HUD, Comfort Access

Old 06-10-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulchman View Post
Really! Nice! I have a couple of bits missing on mine and thought it'd be a nightmare replacement. Doesn't need to be today, but maybe next trip to the part store. Thanks for the post/info.
Here are some more details. Frankly you could do it your self too, with some time and patience.

He just pulled the old one out and used rubber lube to get the new one in. He had some plastic rubber working tools, and just slowly worked it in.

I really had not seen it done and I had seen a post where a member did it him self and it was not completely flat, so I did not want to take a chance.

Also the one I bought from eBay came in a long tube and the sides were bent in to fit. My indie was a BMW guy and told me that at the dealer they come unbent and that was better. After install there was a small area at each top corner that was not completely flay but was still waterproof. It was just cosmetic small and after a few days it flattened out.

If I did it again I would buy from the dealer and still have it installed.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645 ci convertible
Thank you guys ! I think I will buy from the dealer too Mulchman. I am thinking if I want to give this a DIY LOL. I'll see what the dealer price is andI ll check my indie guy also. When I call around for part info, what is the actual name of the rubber seal? Don't say it WINDSHIELD RUBBBER SEAL !
Old 06-10-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Thank you guys ! I think I will buy from the dealer too Mulchman. I am thinking if I want to give this a DIY LOL. I'll see what the dealer price is andI ll check my indie guy also. When I call around for part info, what is the actual name of the rubber seal? Don't say it WINDSHIELD RUBBBER SEAL !
I thinks that's the name since there is only one. I have no idea of the PN but you can most likely look it up.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Quote:
It is called the Reveal Molding, I bought the same part a couple of weeks past and it ended up at $57 with shipping and handling. I haven't put it in yet though. Here is the part:

http://www.getbmwparts.com/parts/200...agramCallOut=2

If you want to DIY replace this follow Clyde's post on the M5board:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e63...placement.html

Last edited by tampamark; 06-10-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:18 AM

Mein Auto: '07 650i
Great DIY Mark. Thanks again to the Fest another maintenance task completed.

This is a very easy job. I think it took me about 20 minutes start to finish. I used soapy water on the new rubber piece vs. the P80 or whatever he recommended. I also bought an OEM part from bimmerzone so it was not bent as Gary said. Looks perfect on the car.
HUD, Comfort Access

Old 03-03-2014, 06:35 AM

Well done! I was very happy when I installed my new seal. The old one looked like junk.

I also used soapy water with no issue.

Last edited by tampamark; 03-03-2014 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:19 AM
Woo Hoo FREE Donuts

Mein Auto: 2004 645Ci Convertible
This is the next thing I have to do.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulchman View Post
Great DIY Mark. Thanks again to the Fest another maintenance task completed.

This is a very easy job. I think it took me about 20 minutes start to finish. I used soapy water on the new rubber piece vs. the P80 or whatever he recommended. I also bought an OEM part from bimmerzone so it was not bent as Gary said. Looks perfect on the car.
Chris,

Smart move on the OEM part. I'm happy with the final result but if I had to do it again I would go that route.

Surprisingly easy and a big maintenance fixed cheaply too. Had I know how cheap it was I would have done it a year earlier.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:10 PM
Woo Hoo FREE Donuts

Mein Auto: 2004 645Ci Convertible
There are so many things that are simple but seem hard to do on this car. Glad there are brave souls to try it out and post the DIYs here.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci
Just completed the Reveal Windshield trim - took 30 mins from start to finish. Only tool needed was my trusty metal paint can Top opener that you get for free from Home Depot and a flat head. Really easy to do.
Advise is to do this in the streets so cleanup is much easier. Also start for the top corner on each end and place them first, then work the middle top in- then the sides.
I used the OEM from my dealer which gave me a discount at $41+ tax. I recommend this fix to everyone. Looks tough but not at all.

Last edited by hipertec; 05-03-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipertec View Post
Advise is to do this in the streets so cleanup is much easier.
I agree, I had added that recommendation to the M5board DIY thread I linked above. I made the mistake of removing the old seal from my windshield in my garage, ended up with little sticky black rubber bits all over my floor. As I was working around the car I stepped on them which made them even harder to get up. I wished I had done the removal in the street out front, scrapping that crap off my floor and cleaning took as long as the DIY!!!