Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: Z3
Radio Code

This is a common Problem I know... sorry! I recently bought a 2001 Z3 with "Code Wait" message on the radio. Reading through the other posts on this topic I've learned how to clear that, but when I tried the code that was on the card with the car, it didn't work. So I pulled the radio from the console to verify the s/n and learned that it's apperently not original to the car (s/n didn't match the card). So I went to my local BMW dealer and they gave me a code for the REAL radio s/n... but it didn't work either. Is there anyone on here that can help? Any other avenues?

radio is a Blaupunkt "Business CD"
S/N 29974060
The code they gave me is 43113 (that doesn't work)

Any help would be greatly appreciatted!
Thanks
Tom
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2012, 05:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW Z3
The only thing I can add to what you have already done is, verify the SN using the radios built in SN display, and 2 let the radio sit with power for a few hours to make sure you have completed all timing issues associated with a wrong code entry.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: '97 Z3
I just worked with these fellows to get a code for my radio. They told me I would have it in the morning. They have a contact a BMW that looks them up based on the sticker information on your radio. It cost me about $11 but I don't mind the fee if the code works. I will let you know tomorrow. ic

restoredclassic@aol.com ;
Old 11-19-2012, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: '97 Z3
Ok got the code back and I now have tunes. Good news worth the few bucks. I will share my code if you want it but mine is an Alpine radio in a 97 model. ic
Old 11-19-2012, 06:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW Z3
The codes are suppose too be specific to a serial number, dont know that it would work for just any similar radio. Maybe Mr. Tevieray could talk to the guys you talk to ?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:28 AM

Radio Code

That's great! Glad they were able to help get you going! $11 certainly seems reasonable - I have one more thing to try... I called the local BMW dealer again Friday and told them my story... they gave me the Supervisor's e-mail address (he was off on Friday). He's supposedly the "go to" guy for those pesky Z3 radio codes. So I'm hoping to hear something from him today. If that doesn't pan out, I'll definitely give these other guys a try. I'd gladly give $11 for the correct code!

Thanks for posting the link!

Tom (aka:tevieray)
Old 11-21-2012, 02:25 PM

I HAVE TUNES!!! After another call or 2 to my local BMW dealer, I decided to give the above e-mail a try (restoredclassic@aol.com). They asked for additional info (beyond merely the serial number) and for a small, very reasonable fee, sent me back the correct radio code!!! Same day! Many thanks to Ivanhoe1997 for posting the contact info! ...and to everyone else that replied with helpful info!

Tom
Old 04-30-2013, 09:22 AM

Z3 Radio Code Found

1997 Z3 - how to find radio code: Press and hold "m" button on radio for five seconds. The radio serial number appears. Give serial number to dealer who can look it up and give you the radio code. This worked for me in less than 5 minutes and now I have tunes again.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: 97 Z3
@2002Tiii -Thank you. I was putting off pulling my radio out of the dash to get at the sticker (as I am still working on a trunk that fills with water every time it rains, hence my need to remove the battery and dry it out). This sounds like a doable solution to the no-tunes issue in the meantime. I'll be happy to post my code when I get it if it helps anyone else.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:20 PM
Teenage Speed Demon

Mein Auto: Z3 2.5i Roadster
When i needed the code for my radio, I just called the BMW Dealer in Kinston, NC and they said they would need up to three hours with the car to get the SN of my radio(even though i told them i had it) and figure out the code, and wanted to charge me $200 for the service. I hung up, called the BMW dealer in Raleigh, NC, and had my code in 5 minutes