Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:49 PM

Mein Auto: Z3
96 z3

I just got a 1996 Z3. Its a James Bone edition. Iam not a bond fan but was reading there
were only 100 made. I did check the vin. Its real.. It wasnt running. We put a new fuel pump in it got it running. Took it for a test drive but the trans isnt shifting right. shifts from first to second but you have to bump the gas to get it into third. Then after 40 it starts to slip. Also the radio was taken out and a aftermarket put in it. The guy we got it from says thats why the remote lock doenst work. Any truth to this? Do I need to get a stock one put back in. Help me out guys I have never had a BMW before. More of a chevy guy. Would really love one with a chevy motor. haha Thanks for the help Keith

Last edited by missedagain32; 07-01-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2013, 03:55 PM

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-01-2013, 05:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3 1.9L DASC Auto
Given that it has remote locking to begin with, BMW uses sensors in the doors, hood and also the radio. Are you getting three chirps when you try to remote lock the doors? If so, you can just unplug the sensor behind the stereo and it will lock after that.

As for the auto tranny condition, Randy on the other board has actually worked on them and could better diagnose your issues from the symptoms. It's probably never had the fluid or filter changed.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:11 PM

It has 105,000 on it. We checked it and it was two quarts low but that didnt help the problem.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:14 PM

Yes sir it does chirp three times but doent lock or unlock the doors. What does the sensor look like ?

Last edited by missedagain32; 07-01-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:18 PM

To get max fill on the tranny, the engine needs to be running with the a/c on and the fluid temp at about 80 degrees.

Three chirps means one of the sensors is "open." The one behind the stereo receives a stub (like the cap from a Sharpie marker) into it. The factory radio has a stub, the aftermarket most likely does not. You can unplug the sensor or stick the cap of a sharpie into it and it will be "happy" again. I'll try to dig up a photo.

You have to pull the radio and look straight back. The large rectangular opening is where the stub on the back of the radio would protrude into. The wires going out the side can be unclipped.

Last edited by Monolith; 07-01-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:40 PM

Monolith that did fix the door locks. Thanks for all the help
Old 07-01-2013, 07:01 PM

I'm glad it worked out.

Most of the tranny codes need special BMW software running on a laptop. The software is available on the Internet and best with a laptop with a serial connection. I use the INPA interface to do most tranny diagnostic work.

Sometimes cleaning the range switch under the selector can help if the computer and the transmission think they are in different gears. It's in a yellow rectangular L-shaped plastic box under the gear selection panel (it lifts straight up).

As I mentioned before, Randy is better at symptom diagnostics (might try posting on bimmerforums.com under the Z3 forum).

Your transmission is the GM 4L30E 4 speed automatic, two pans. If you look for a replacement, be careful of the electrical connector size. BMW uses two letter codes on the tranny plate. Best to match that code with a replacement.

In case you're not aware, putting the transmission into "3" causes it to be in "sport mode" and will hold the shifts longer.

LS1 Powered Z3:
http://hasanmotorsports.com/

Last edited by Monolith; 07-01-2013 at 07:06 PM.