Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: ls
ipod 11 x5 no usb

Upgraded from 06 x3 to used 11 x5. Love the car. Had a dice unit in x3 that worked through the cd changer to play ipod and use steering wheel controls. The x5 has input jack in console and no usb port. Nothing in the glove box. What is my best option for full time hooked in ipod with charge and display and steering wheel controls? thanks
Ads by Google
Old 11-15-2012, 01:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 X5d
Retrofit option 6FL
Old 11-17-2012, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5, xDrive35d
I went through the same process with my 2010 X5d about a year ago. As it turned out, the 6FL retrofit wasn't available anymore (at least for my particular vehicle) via BMW parts. I looked at quite a few options and ended up going the following route: http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...&ProductId=796.

It works fairly well and I'm fairly happy with it. It integrates via the glovebox and is the "old style" route that has been done for years where the iPod/iPhone ends up looking like the CD Changer to the iDrive interface.

If I remember correctly, before my parts guy discovered the 6FL retrofit wasn't available anymore, I think it was getting to be upwards of $1K in just parts, so it was going to get rather expensive.

I also spent quite a bit of time looking at the aftermarket, but no one seems to have "broke" the newer iDrive system to where you can get the Dice type products to work with it.

The other option I did consider before going this route was to just get a Bluetooth adapter that could be plugged into the Aux port in the center console. The bummer with this route is no control via the iDrive, but you could take any sound into the system (i.e. You could do Pandora or any app.). With the iPod adapter, it only works with the "iPod" interface on your iPhone/iPod Touch.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35d
I have a 2011 X5 5.0i, which was built summer 2010 - and because of that even though it does have the iPod integration, it's still clunky a bit - there are no BMW Apps, you can control the iPod part of an iPhone if you use a BMW Y-Cable (it has both Aux and USB in the center box), but that's about it. No BT audio, no apps, no album art.

The dealer tells me it's impossible to retrofit, although on the BMW global site they say BMW Apps could be retrofitted . In any case, the most workable solution seems to go through www.Bimmer-Tech.net and there are reports of successful retrofits of Comboxes and 6NR modules...

However, if you go down this route, you're most likely losing BMW Assist, which was a deal breaker for me.