Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to MonkeyCMonkeyDo
Mein Auto: 2013 335i
X5M Explodes spontaneously!

Was wondering if anybody on this board has seen this article on TMZ today. Crazy. Read the story!

http://www.tmz.com/2012/11/16/ufc-ra...xplosion-fire/

"Sam says, "I can best describe the event as a very loud bang while going about 10 miles an hour -- there was a speed bump that I slowed down for -- followed by an immediate giant engine malfunction light and flames coming out from the front and under the car."

And if that wasn't scary enough, Sam says his young daughter was in the passenger seat -- and the passenger door wouldn't open. So Sam had to grab his daughter and pull her out the driver's side, burning himself in the process.

Seconds later, Sam says the car exploded and was immediately engulfed in flames. Spira adds, "Had we been traveling on the freeway, we would probably all be dead."

Firefighters arrived to the scene moments later to extinguish the blaze."

HOLY Crap!
Old 11-16-2012, 05:02 PM
Gib mir Feurschutz!

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
Edit X6M not a X5M :P

But yikes!

He probably modded it...

2013 BMW 750i - Coded, Executive, Lighting, Cold Weather, M Sport, M 303 Wheels, 5% Tint, Conti DWS Tires, 3M Bra, Vinyl Black Gloss Roof Wrap, Exhaust Flap Mod.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:14 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Hyperbole much?

"Giant" engine malfuction light?

Iim real curious as to what could cause this....if I were BMW I'd most definitely want to look at the memory in the DME.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
In the comment section following the story in the link was a brief article mentioning that BMW had recalled 32K high horsepower models for fire hazard. Apparently a turbo cooling pump could fail and cause a fire in the engine compartment. The recall was about 13 months ago on 31 Oct 2011. Both the X5M and X6M were listed for recall.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:18 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
In the comment section following the story in the link was a brief article mentioning that BMW had recalled 32K high horsepower models for fire hazard. Apparently a turbo cooling pump could fail and cause a fire in the engine compartment. The recall was about 13 months ago on 31 Oct 2011. Both the X5M and X6M were listed for recall.
Interesting. Wonder if this guy blew off the recall notices?

Although I do read that he just had it into the dealer and they did some work on it...they cannot release the car if there is an active recall notice. This is one of those cases where the owner is stuck between the people that did the wrenching and the car mfg..both saying 'it isnt our fault'....

Last edited by ard; 11-27-2012 at 05:05 PM.