Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-18-2012, 07:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Xwen View Post
The only car that will come close is the S6.

To the OP, great summary. Nice to hear from happy owners past the initial ownership stage.
My last car was a C7 A6, although I do like the S6, its too similar to the A6 for me to consider it. Another thing to consider is price, a typical S6 is over $80K with very little room for negociation. At that price, its more of a car one would cross shop with the 550 than the 535.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagu View Post
Do you guys finds the turbo 6 cylinder engine very adequate to pull the 4000lb body or does it seem to labor a lot?
Like someone have already said, its fast enough and propel the car effortlessly, but when it want a little extra, its there, but not a lot of it. My last car, the A6 was a bit quicker both in the city and on the highway. If power was my top priority, I would not have bought the 535, but it is not and the 535 does many other things better than the A6. I am very happy with 5 series so far and this forum is like a added bonus, much better than the Audi forums
Old 11-18-2012, 07:39 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagu View Post
LOL, it was actually one of your comments that made me ask that question. A used 2012 550i will also be on my short list.

I guess after almost 2 years in the 335i, I am craving for a larger car with some presence to it.
Funny you say that. The wife is looking for an SUV and I said well maybe we ll trade my 535i and I will take the 335d since I drive 30k miles a year. She said you won't like it. You are much happier now that you drive 5's instead of 3's. I now realize that she is correct. After 3 years of driving 5's I have become spoiled by the bigger and more comfortable car. So I understand why you want back into a 5 series. A 550i will hit the sweet spot for you and give you the same or better power than your 335i.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 535d M-Sport
Ahhh Sigh...love your pix. Am sitting here still waiting to hear a build date for my Carbon Black 535d M-Sport (which I ordered 2.5 months ago). Still, your pix have solved a dilemma I was having about colour; with too much 'think time' on my hands I've been tossing around changing the colour to one of the Frozen colours (which I quite like) but seeing your baby sitting there & knowing mine will look identical to it (from the outside anyway) has confirmed in my mind that I REALLY DO LOVE Carbon Black.

BTW - I notice you say in one of the posts here that "have the standard exhaust. I just added the 550's rear diffuser and quad tips." - how easy was it to change that around & is the diffuser carbon black too or just black (I can't quite make out its colour); where did you buy the parts too?

Last edited by bmwombat; 11-18-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: 11 535xi M
Nice writeup. I'm currently right around the halfway point of my 36 month lease. It's been a great car, and was especially great when I had a longer (30-45 min) commute. Zero maintenance problems, aside from one bubbled tire that ultimately got me a free set of Michelins in my basement. The seats are truly spectacular, and it is by far the most comfortable car I've ever owned. Looks beautiful. Amazing for long trips as well. However, now that my commute is much shorter (~10 min), I'm kind of wishing I had something more exciting like an M3 or 997. The F10 just isn't very exciting to drive, to me. That's not a knock on the F10 though, more an observation about big luxury sedans in general. They're great for comfort, but generally don't get the blood pumping much. I suppose the 550 might have been closer, but not much.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
Funny you say that. The wife is looking for an SUV and I said well maybe we ll trade my 535i and I will take the 335d since I drive 30k miles a year. She said you won't like it. You are much happier now that you drive 5's instead of 3's. I now realize that she is correct. After 3 years of driving 5's I have become spoiled by the bigger and more comfortable car. So I understand why you want back into a 5 series. A 550i will hit the sweet spot for you and give you the same or better power than your 335i.
I'm in the opposite situation. I thought I had left the 3 series behind me after owning three of them in the prior millenium. The E39 and E60 provided a significant upgrade in quality feel without giving up much if anything as drivers cars. Now when I'm back in a 3 I doubt I will go back to a car of the F10's size again. If the F80 M3 and Pajun proves to be disappointing ( which I highly doubt ) I will likely aim for a 911 rather than settle for a larger car. I want quality while plush comfort and gadgets as HUD, Comfort access, Lane departure warning, massage seats, acc etc matters little to none.

Last edited by solstice; 11-19-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528 MT
where did you get that wide license plate? Is it standard in Texas?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: F10 535xi MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwombat View Post
BTW - I notice you say in one of the posts here that "have the standard exhaust. I just added the 550's rear diffuser and quad tips." - how easy was it to change that around & is the diffuser carbon black too or just black (I can't quite make out its colour); where did you buy the parts too?
It is very easy...look at this thread http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthre...d#post11882432

Bill

OP: Nice write up. I feel the exact same as you.
2011 535i xDrive, Dark Graphite Metallic, Veneto Beige Dakota Leather, M Sport Package, 316, 322, 3AG, 5AD, 5AG, 5DL, 609, 620, 655, 677, 6FL delivered Christmas Eve '10, Mods - quad tips, 20% tint, JB4.

Last edited by Sharbotcom; 11-19-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 535d M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharbotcom View Post
It is very easy...look at this thread http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthre...d#post11882432

Bill

OP: Nice write up. I feel the exact same as you.
Thanks for that info - I'll put it to good use. Incidentally, just received an email from from my salesman saying "Your 535d has been built. It is awaiting scheduled transport to take it to the wharf.".

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So - 2 1/2 months after I ordered it, it's built...now 6-8 weeks to get to Australia & be offloaded. Fantastic news. I can't wait to get it obviously & really am looking forward to seeing how the MFID (option 6WB) looks.