Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 12-06-2012, 03:16 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Breakdown of Premium Package/Technology

Hi all,

I'm really bummed you can't option out the dimming mirrors on the X3!! I can live with leatherette but it's not available as a downgrade on the premium package according to bmwconfig.com.

So, given that
  • What EXACTLY am I losing by not electing the premium package just to get leatherette?
  • How useful is your little display on the instrument cluster if you have the premium + technology package. Does it just show you some gas-mileage related stuff or is it more interesting? If I purchase the navigation+cameras, I am pretty sure I will be missing out on this little panel display (although I will still have the larger screen in the middle, which I think looks much better).

Right now I am thinking 28i + M-Sport + Dynamic Handling + Convenience but am really bummed that I can't get the dimming mirrors without getting premium. Also, I think that little display on the instrument cluster (black panel display??) is cool but maybe not a deal-breaker unless it is extremely useful.
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
You are missing out on quite a few things by not getting the premium package. I would need to go back and look at the pricing sheet again where it shows those dependencies. Have a look at one of the sticky topics for pricing and I believe there is still a PDF document that breaks it down. I used this a lot when I was configuring mine for ordering.

Regarding the instrument cluster changes with the NAV, you lose some enhanced display. Without the NAV you get 3-4 lines of information in the center between the large dials. It's all graphical regardless, so it provides a variety of information there.

If you have the NAV system, it extends this graphical display to right and overlaps with the bottom portion of the tachometer. In this extended display a graphical view of the fule efficiency and power regeneration is presented along with extended messages below the tachometer mostly for check messages. If you do not have HUD, I believe it displays some NAV information there, but not sure (I have HUD).

The owners manual may also give you a better picture of the differences as well with the display elements.

Are you trying to avoid leather and stick with leatherette? I did like the leatherette on my older 325 xi and it held up really well and great to clean. This is my first car with real leather and I like it too.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
I realize now you are trying to find the options that only come with premium package, right? I don't have a full list of options available down to that detail, but someone on the forum here probably does. If not, head in and talk to a CA to find out.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboardjoe View Post
You are missing out on quite a few things by not getting the premium package. I would need to go back and look at the pricing sheet again where it shows those dependencies. Have a look at one of the sticky topics for pricing and I believe there is still a PDF document that breaks it down. I used this a lot when I was configuring mine for ordering.

Regarding the instrument cluster changes with the NAV, you lose some enhanced display. Without the NAV you get 3-4 lines of information in the center between the large dials. It's all graphical regardless, so it provides a variety of information there.

If you have the NAV system, it extends this graphical display to right and overlaps with the bottom portion of the tachometer. In this extended display a graphical view of the fule efficiency and power regeneration is presented along with extended messages below the tachometer mostly for check messages. If you do not have HUD, I believe it displays some NAV information there, but not sure (I have HUD).

The owners manual may also give you a better picture of the differences as well with the display elements.

Are you trying to avoid leather and stick with leatherette? I did like the leatherette on my older 325 xi and it held up really well and great to clean. This is my first car with real leather and I like it too.
I'll take a look at the sticky, thanks.

I can go with either one. I have a baby on the way so I was leaning towards leatherette but can live with leather. I just was pricing it out and liked the cost savings, although I can technically afford either one. I just was bummed that you don't get a dimming mirror option if you elect not to get the premium package.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
I just looked on my sticker from my X3 and the premium package includes:

Leather
Universal garage door opener
Auto dimming mirrors
Auto dimming rear view mirror
Lumbar support
Storage package
Interior light package

and back when I bought mine it also included the Panoramic moonroof but that has now become standard I believe on the 35i.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
I have been driving for more than 60 years, believe that I am skilled at parking, and have declined parking sensors in previous purchases. Nonetheless, I was unable to avoid completely some curb rash and bumper dings over the duration of ownership. After only a few days at the start of the now first year of use, the parking sensors, rear view camera, and top view cameras justified their cost in rim damage prevention. Nevada leather is quite durable and childproof. If you do decide in favor of the technology package with its prerequisite premium package then compare once again the cost of the 28i to the 35i with its included panoramic roof and xenon headlights, as well as its premium package enhanced with keyless entry and rear window shades. The shades are useful for infant and child eye protection.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:31 AM

Could anyone elaborate on exactly what is in the storage and ambient light package?
Old 12-07-2012, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerovector View Post
Could anyone elaborate on exactly what is in the storage and ambient light package?
Storage package gives you and extra cubby hole on the drivers side dash to the left of the steering wheel as well as pockets on the back of the front seats and a mesh storage comparment in the rear cargo area. Ambient lighting gives you lighting in all the footwells, interior door handle pulls and consol area of the vehicle. I think it is a must have otherwise the car would be extremely dark without it.