Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 11-16-2012, 09:00 PM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Going to update my sticky - need suggestions

Hello all. While the moderators are not able to allow me to edit my mechanical issues sticky, they have graciously offered to have me submit the update to them and they will update the sticky.

So ..... I would like to do this in one fell swoop. I ask that you review the original post as it is now and provide suggestions to me (that are not duplicative of what is already there) as to what you would like to have added.

Keep in mind that this thread is primarily targeted at the new E34 owner or someone who is new to DIY or is just simply having a particular problem. It is intended to be informational and instructive.

Here's the criteria that I am looking for (since it is my thread - and I don't mean that in a cocky way).

The addition must be succinct and to the point. Short and sweet. Such as Paperplane's recent response to a battery drain problem. BTW PP94, I would like to add that to the post. It's great for electrical morons like me

Another good example would be Roberto's link to the searchable Bentley manual.

The recommendations must be conventional or common knowledge. I will not update with things that are uber controversial. Sorry Roberto, but, with all due respect, I will not put on many of the things like diesel flushes, filter washes etc. If someone is looking for things like that, they can search or read the many posts about it.

There is a great no-start troubleshooting link that someone has posted that would be GREAT (even if it is from another forum).

These are some of the examples. I ask that you do the legwork on phrasing the addition and formatting it with any applicable links. This will help add as much information as possible in a short amount of time. This also allows me to just copy/paste the information into a document to edit prior to my submission to the mods.

I would like to get this done by Sunday night if possible. I have a very busy week next week and will not have time to address it after Sunday.

Please include any relevant links and/or videos. I'll be glad to give credit to the submitter of the information.

We have a lot of really knowledgeable people on this forum. Letís put our collective experience and knowledge together to assist all who seek help and information about our beloved E34s.

Thank you in advance. I will do my best to have this submitted to the mods by Sunday night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Ads by Google
Old 11-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
Steve sir, I think a little more time would be better, and for everyone to respond. Its ok if you update your thread 1 week later. Lets make it comprehensive.

I'm going to suggest an ammendment to your thread. Common no start/no crank issues, uncommon no start no crank issues. Common overheat issues, uncommon overheat issues.

And there is another good angle that we can use. Obscure mechanical issues. Three of these which come to mind right now are the tps, ect, trans program errors and problems that appear right after a tranny fluid change.

These are uncommon issues, but over the years, the old timers have seen them more than once. We can create a glossary of these issues with a short blurb about the solution and a request to the reader to search the forums for detailed threads, or we can include the workaround as well.

It would take some time to work this out and contributions from the forum would be helpful in condensing them into a useful post. More time is needed for that than otherwise.

No problem on the diesel flush It is your thread. However, may I suggest that you include a note that says that conventional off-the-shelf engine and fuel system flushes have been proven to have almost no benefit to an otherwise well maintained car, or perhaps a one-time use with cars with an invitation to the reader to search for more detailed threads discussing these if keen. Since the time I started recommending this idea, the IQ over it has been enhanced, and discussed and agreed info like this would be helpful to the new owner.

All of this would constitute more than just minor updates, but well since its a master thread, this is par for course.

What say you sir? Give everyone 1 week ?

rgds
Roberto
Old 11-16-2012, 09:46 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
There should be a reference and direct link to the EWS2 issue too, even though people don't seem to have a problem finding it on google...