Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 11-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Festaholic

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Sport
Most practicle wash, wax, polish and clay for the working enthusiast?

I first want to thank all those that contribute to this Detail Department forum. It is very informative and helpful. I think the best analaogy I have read with asking for suggestions for wax is: "Asking what wax to use is like asking what is the best wine. You will have answers all across the spectrum". I am a working dad that is passionate about cars and keeping them clean. I typically try to be practicle with the auto products I purchase and try to buy items that yield great results that last and are easy to maintain. I don't mind paying for quality and convenience; however, it has to save me time in the long run and yield a show finish as long as possible.

I know that many here have used all kind of waxes. I simply want YOUR suggestion on what clay, polish and wax to use on my 3 year old silver F10. I can only wax and maintian the car maybe once or twice a year. I use a detailer when I wipe the car down in hopes to preserve the wax as long as possible. I currently use the Mother's Gold wash and wax.

I have been reading for months trying to narrow down what to buy. It seems Collinite is pretty popular, along with Zaino and other sealants. P21s seems awesome, but I don't have the luxury and time to wax every few months. . Thanks for all the help.

2011 535i Sport (Prem 1, 2)
Ads by Google
Old 11-28-2013, 05:51 PM
C code: 405/3

Mein Auto: 99 Z3 M Coupe
Since you're using Mother's already, why not stick with one of their sealants? Sealants last way longer than carnauba waxes so a sealant would fit in with your twice yearly shine regimen.

The California Gold Synthetic Wax is a sealant - the word synthetic is the giveaway. It contains cleaners and fillers so it'd be good for older paint needing help to fill swirls.

The Mother's FX Synthetic Wax is more of a pure sealant without cleaners or fillers so it'd offer something the CG version wouldn't - layering. You could let the first layer set up (24 hrs. to be on the safe side) and add another layer for greater/longer protection/shine.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: f10 550i
I agree with the suggestion to use a sealant. Sealants last way longer than wax. I also prefer the "brightness" of sealants compared to the "glow" of wax but that is a matter of personal taste.

Some people like to but down a sealant for protection and cover with a layer of wax. I have tried that on a few occasions but prefer the look of just a sealant.

I have tried literally dozens of sealants and waxes over the years. I don't use a wax anymore just sealants. I use Blackfire Wet Diamond.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i

As a working Dad myself, I understand where you're coming from. Looking for Max results from minimum time investment (more important things take priority ).

For this reason I chose a sealant system also. Look for a sealant with a wipe-on-walk-away or a spray-on-wipe-off component, and by adding only 5 minutes per wash, you'll never have to spend hours dedicated to the paint again.

I'm using Zaino now, and use Z8 or CS after each wash. Haven't spent time on paint other than wash & spray/wipe in many years. Paint is still almost perfect.

Before Zaino I used Klasse, and made my own spray/wipe by diluting their sealant 1:6 with water and putting it in a spray bottle. Results were the same.

As for clay, it really depends on the condition of your car. The grade (stiffness) of the clay is more important than the brand. The nastier the car, the firmer the clay required to get all of the crud out. As with everything else - start mild and go up from there.

Your attitude is exactly correct - learning to use what you've got yields better results than changing products repeatedly due to recommendations of internet posters (at least 1/2 of which are either full of @#]*+ or have a interest in the miracle product that they're bragging about.

Good luck finding Max results from min efforts!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-29-2013, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: '13 640i Gran Coupe
Wash:
For your first wash, to strip off any and all previously applied products, waxes, sealants, oils, and remove all debris from your car, I recommend using dish soap or some type of citrus shampoo. Chemical Guys makes some popular citrus shampoo. This will present you with a clean canvas to start from. For your maintenance wash, find one that you like and use it often. I like Wolfgang's Auto Bathe.
Clay:
I have used Wolfgang Elastic Poly Clay with Wolfgang Clay Lubricant, Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit and Mother's California Gold Clay Bar System. I preferred the Wolfgang products. Wolfgang seemed less tacky and easier to use.
Riccardo Detailing Clay is supposed to be a superior product. It was introduced in the US a few years ago and subsequently restricted from selling here due to patent reasons. The patent has expired, and they are now available in the US. I just got some, but have not had a chance to use any of it yet.
Sealant:
I personally like to apply sealant and then wax. My goal is to get a showroom depth of shine and longevity is not a concern. I am a weekend detailer, and I like to spend a little time after work during the week, and more on weekends when I can. Many of the products recommended above are great. I personally chose to go with ceramic coating to provide a more wet and longer lasting look. These tend to run a little expensive. CQuartz, GTech are some popular brands. I use Migliore Strata Coating.
Wax:
I apply more than one layer of wax on my sealant - typically two to three coats. I have quite a few favorites. If you don't mind spending the money, Swissvax Concorso and Zymol Glasur are pretty darn good (but they run in the several hundred dollar range).
Collinite 915 has very good write up as well, although I have not tried it. The brands mentioned above are also very good.
Mothers and Meguiar's are very good brands and a staple in the industry. Those are considered on the low end, but also effective waxes.

As with any work, your foundation is what determines the outcome of your detail work. If you have a well-prepped foundation to start with, you will see great results.
Please take these tips with a grain of salt. This is what worked for me and I have the results to show for it: here is a hobby car I detailed recently: http://www.prowleronline.com/ubb/For...ML/003605.html
Old 11-29-2013, 10:03 PM

Great work - it can take hours. Prowler looks great. My neighbour down the street has one the same color but not as sweet.

Her is a quick photo of my space grey f10 with Chemical guys ez creme glaze and Brackfire sealant. Took hours but looks great. Will be the detail I use the day I want to sell the car!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20131004-00249.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	410014
Old 11-29-2013, 10:42 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeep1 View Post
I simply want YOUR suggestion on what clay, polish and wax to use on my 3 year old silver F10. I can only wax and maintian the car maybe once or twice a year.
"Your suggestion"... BUT... for YOUR predicament... okay. First of all, my recs would change between either once or twice a year. If once a year, go for a "nano-coating".

I might even just consider Opti-Coat if I were you. You can hire a pro, and then look for the Pro version, along with the warranty. Unfortunately, we'd probably miss you here, because you just won't need any more help. It is "permanent until mechanically abraded away". You know, like your car paint.

There are plenty of others that will instead last a year or two.

If you "wax" twice a year, depending on your car storage and usage, I see no problem at all having a sealant last the entire time, I think you said you don't drive the car much. I am confident sealant will do just fine for you. Just refine your wash technique, it might last the whole year anyway, depending.

I've never used it but Finish Kare 1000P gets rave reviews from pros and enthusiasts alike for its combination of looks and longevity if two coats are used. The only catch I can recall is that it's less forgiving on trim and such, so that's what painters/automotive tape is for.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:23 PM
Festaholic

Thank you men - for being understanding to my request and for the great suggestions!

Honestly, to my eye, the car's paint and wax looks great. It beads tightly when water is on it and it has a great glossy shine. I foolishly paid for some paint premium coating when I got the car from the dealership. I need to contact them to see what exactly that is. I do enjoy washing her as often as I can, so I know that is more reason to ensure the paint is properly sealed/waxed. GGP, I love that picture of your car in the clean white room. I feel that my car has a similar shine as that large picture; however, that close up on your rear panel is amazing! Could I get that gloss look with sealant alone (like Zaino)?

The sealant approach does sound perfect. I can invest time once a year and use a spray down when I finish washing. As many of you wisely said and observed, I am not trying to experiment and get various products. I may just take the plunge on the Zaino stuff as it seems to work. It may not be the best, but it seems reasonable in terms of maintenance and price. The beauty of this is that it is not a chore, but a hobby .

Old 11-30-2013, 08:09 PM

BigDeep1, thanks for the comment on my car the in the white room. In answer to your question, to be honest not sure you can get quite the same shine as on the rear quarter with just the sealant. In the rear quarter photo I used the ez creme glaze under the Blackfire - much to my surprise it noticeably increased the shine. Would also note that the really high gloss look did not last too long.

Nevertheless, you can get excellent results with just a sealant (although I have never tried Zaino). Indeed, I know that with a good sealant and regular washes your car can look much, much better than most cars out there.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:10 AM
Festaholic

Thanks.

May I also ask if anyone can recommend a tool (such as an orbital or maybe specific applicator) that would make this job successful.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:38 AM

Orbitals/tools are for polishing.

I've got a Porter Cable Random Elliptical, and this has made polishing a rewarding experience. You simply can't get the same results by hand.

That being said, if you are only applying a sealant (paint is already in good shape), then a PC is not needed.

Sealants are easily applied by hand with best-quality results.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: '13 640i Gran Coupe

Porter Cable 7424XP - good starter dual action polisher
Griot's Garage polisher - good power, slightly more $, but has excellent lifetime warranty.

Last edited by hamlyn; 12-01-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:28 PM
Festaholic

Thank you for the information!

For what it's worth, here are some quick pics I took this morning. I washed the car over a week ago in these pics.

Last edited by BigDeep1; 12-02-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:30 PM

[QUOTE][I've got a Porter Cable Random Elliptical, and this has made polishing a rewarding experience. You simply can't get the same results by hand.

That being said, if you are only applying a sealant (paint is already in good shape), then a PC is not needed.

Sealants are easily applied by hand with best-quality results./QUOTE]

Agree 100%.

Your car looks great. Regular maintenance and it will look fine. If you want to go to a different level you will need to polish and use a PC.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
No Klasse fans? I am shocked. Klasse AIO and Klasse Sealant are amazing. Use with or without the Porter Cable, removes light swirls, won't stain trim, and lasts for 6 months.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Valley View Post
No Klasse fans? I am shocked. Klasse AIO and Klasse Sealant are amazing. Use with or without the Porter Cable, removes light swirls, won't stain trim, and lasts for 6 months.
Please see post 4.

Just sayin'....