Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-11-2014, 12:29 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
Tensioner belt and idler pulley. My story with the stealership

Hi everyone,
In my previous post I mentioned that I hear a loud noise in the morning when I start my car which sounds like the cooling fan is going on high speed. I took the car to the stealership to get it checked for that problem and couple more things. I know I'll be going off topic here but I wanna share my story. They checked everything I told them about and they got back to me, the two rear windows regulator are bad not covered under extended warranty $850 for each, the ac fan blower is bad covered under extended warranty, the noise I heard from the back of the car which sounds like metal clicking together they said it's the rear brake $750, as for the noise that sound like the cooling fan going on high speed they said its the tensioner belt and idler pulley not covered under extended warranty $620. A total of $3070 at the stealership I called the guy who usually work on my car and he said he can do all this for less than the half price the stealership asking for. I know that I need to replace the rear break and I might hold on for the window regulators now, my question is do you guys think if the tensioner belt and the idler pulley is going bad will it sound like the cooling fan is going on high speed? I really will appreciate any help, I wish I'm a handy man to change things on my own and save money, Thank you all by the way the car has 98k
Ads by Google
Old 03-11-2014, 03:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeries325 View Post
Hi everyone,
In my previous post I mentioned that I hear a loud noise in the morning when I start my car which sounds like the cooling fan is going on high speed. I took the car to the stealership to get it checked for that problem and couple more things. I know I'll be going off topic here but I wanna share my story. They checked everything I told them about and they got back to me, the two rear windows regulator are bad not covered under extended warranty $850 for each, the ac fan blower is bad covered under extended warranty, the noise I heard from the back of the car which sounds like metal clicking together they said it's the rear brake $750, as for the noise that sound like the cooling fan going on high speed they said its the tensioner belt and idler pulley not covered under extended warranty $620. A total of $3070 at the stealership I called the guy who usually work on my car and he said he can do all this for less than the half price the stealership asking for. I know that I need to replace the rear break and I might hold on for the window regulators now, my question is do you guys think if the tensioner belt and the idler pulley is going bad will it sound like the cooling fan is going on high speed? I really will appreciate any help, I wish I'm a handy man to change things on my own and save money, Thank you all by the way the car has 98k

Brakes're easy enough - plenty of DIY posts & videos if you want to see.

High fan = belt tensioner + pulley? No....ask exactly what is bad there. Post!

Gotta wonder what goes bad in actuators. Dealer does no actual repair - they simply R&R parts. Seems a common issue, but what exactly is the issue I've not seen anywhere. Whaaaaaa????
Old 03-11-2014, 03:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
the belt tensioner and Idlers are pretty simple to do too
Old 03-11-2014, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
If is making the fan type noise but the fan isn't running (confirm this visually) the the belt tensioner/idler pulley could be bad. Dried out bearing would make a hellacious noise. Only one of them is probably bad but they should be replaced together.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
I am almost positive the high speed fan sound is your radiator fan on high.....which means the water pump is on its way out.

Scan the DME and look for a "deviation in pump speed" fault.

This fault will be stored as a shadow fault. There will be no CEL or SES light. A generic scanner cannot pull this code. You need a BMW specific scanner. The dealer should have seen this code granted it's there. they may have cleared it to see if it comes back but ask them if there was a water pump fault in the DME.

If you hear this noise on shut down as well, it's probably the water pump.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 03-11-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto: ED 330i
Quote:
Hi everyone,
You don't provide your location but $750 for a brake job (note correct spelling) is high even here in high-cost SF area.

I asked the same question about tensioner belt, and the consensus is this is not an item that you should defer for long as you risk the belt snapping. My stealership est. was $400 - the indy quotes $300. They seemed surprised when I suggested replacing the belt at the same time (why not do it at the same time if you are already doing the tensioner, belts are cheap and with 98k miles will eventually fail).

Interesting how many items are not covered under the extended warranty, we ought to post a master list for people to consider before they buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
I am almost positive the high speed fan sound is your radiator fan on high.....which means the water pump is on its way out.

*** If you hear this noise on shut down as well, it's probably the water pump.
That's exactly what happened to me a few months ago. Very loud high pitch sound, did not realize it was the radiator fan, and then the pump failed a few miles later (or at least that is when the overheat light appeared).
Old 03-12-2014, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post

Gotta wonder what goes bad in actuators. Dealer does no actual repair - they simply R&R parts. Seems a common issue, but what exactly is the issue I've not seen anywhere. Whaaaaaa????
i should be getting the car back tomorrow, so i'll see what's written and i'll keep you posted.
i'm not sure if the fan is causing that loud noise but whenever that happen which is mostly in the morning time when i first start up the car i opened up the hood and i heard that loud noise and i felt a lot of air so i was guessing on my own its the fan and once i turn the car off then on again it will go back to normal
Old 03-12-2014, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburke4689 View Post
If is making the fan type noise but the fan isn't running (confirm this visually) the the belt tensioner/idler pulley could be bad. Dried out bearing would make a hellacious noise. Only one of them is probably bad but they should be replaced together.
when that happened and i opened up the hood the fan was running
Old 03-12-2014, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post

Scan the DME and look for a "deviation in pump speed" fault.

This fault will be stored as a shadow fault. There will be no CEL or SES light. A generic scanner cannot pull this code. You need a BMW specific scanner. The dealer should have seen this code granted it's there. they may have cleared it to see if it comes back but ask them if there was a water pump fault in the DME.

If you hear this noise on shut down as well, it's probably the water pump.
i should be getting the car back tomorrow so i'll see whats written and i'll see what type of code and fault they have and i'll ask the service guy on that. it usually happen in the morning when i first start the car but when i shut it down right away and turn it back on the car go back to normal. if you mean shutting the car down after driving it then no i don't hear it
Old 03-12-2014, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
You don't provide your location but $750 for a brake job (note correct spelling) is high even here in high-cost SF area.

I asked the same question about tensioner belt, and the consensus is this is not an item that you should defer for long as you risk the belt snapping. My stealership est. was $400 - the indy quotes $300. They seemed surprised when I suggested replacing the belt at the same time (why not do it at the same time if you are already doing the tensioner, belts are cheap and with 98k miles will eventually fail).

Interesting how many items are not covered under the extended warranty, we ought to post a master list for people to consider before they buy it.

That's exactly what happened to me a few months ago. Very loud high pitch sound, did not realize it was the radiator fan, and then the pump failed a few miles later (or at least that is when the overheat light appeared).
i'm sorry i'm not too far from you i'm down in San Jose. i just called a guy that i know and i trust and he said he will do everything for me for $1200, about the warranty it was my first time buying this type of warranty by now i believe its a big waste of money so i hope people will think more than once before they buy it
Old 03-12-2014, 02:43 AM

so what type of warranty did you purchase? General maintenance items are never covered under extended warranties, so it sounds like you didnt do your research or read the contract before you purchased it.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
when that happened and i opened up the hood the fan was running
In that case you are probably looking at a water pump in the near future.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54

You water pump veterans - what went wrong? In other words, how did the pump fail, inside?

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 03-12-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:32 AM

Failure is almost alway preceeded by the engine cooling fan going full blast and making a lot of noise. What puzzles me is that this is ongoing for the OP. On the N54 at least, water pump failure sequence is usually pretty fast. Fan on full blast, yellow dash warning, red overheat warning all in one or two minutes. I'm not too familiar with other motors.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
Quote:

You water pump veterans - what went wrong? In other words, how did the pump fail, inside?

Cal, i haven't had the pump go out so the following are guesses if i may be permitted. The pump is electrically driven so it could be a simple motor failure. The impeller could be broken off the shaft. The shaft could be disconnected from the motor. Many possibilities.

It would seem to be real simple if a guy were to have the failed pump on a work bench and run 12V to it. I'm betting the motor is good and impeller no turn. Although long term heat is the enemy of electronics so the motor itself could be fried.

At my old job, the company did failure analyses on returned sensors that we manufactured. Part of our quality program was to diagnose the failures and document and feed info to product developers. Super glue caused 2 different unintended chemical reactions within 2 different sensor designs.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
so what type of warranty did you purchase? General maintenance items are never covered under extended warranties, so it sounds like you didnt do your research or read the contract before you purchased it.
yes i never done research you are right, its called mileage plus

Last edited by jeries325; 03-12-2014 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburke4689 View Post
In that case you are probably looking at a water pump in the near future.
at least the water pump is covered under warranty as i saw it on that warranty i bought
Old 03-12-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:

got the car back today and its really funny that the stearlship call me this morning going down with the price for the belt tensioner and the idler pulley from $620 to $350 and on the window regulator from $850 on each to $750 for both but no offer for rear brake and i still said no cuze a good friend is getting the job done for me for a total of $1300 i know i can do it myself for less but i'm not that handy man even with videos from youtube. I'll also have him take a look at the water pump. but anyways that's what they wrote
98447 noisy belt tensioner. checked for high pitch noise in the morning and found noisy alternator belt tensioner
Old 03-12-2014, 09:50 PM

Last edited by jeries325; 03-12-2014 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:59 PM

how do you guys delete a post not a full post but a reply?

Last edited by jeries325; 03-12-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:24 AM

@ CALWATERBOY
I got the car back and our friend changed everything I told him about and he also checked the water pump and he said it's totally fine and it's not lose or anything. The car was running good for couple days and this morning the noise came back I turned the car off then on again and it's gone. Now since he change the tensioner belt and the idler pulley and the water pump is fine what do you think is cusing that noise? Do you think it's the fan itself? I opened up the hood and it's running good. I don't really wanna go back to stealership and argue with them, it's mostly seems to me that they only guess over there
Old 03-17-2014, 10:34 AM

hard to say at this point what the noise is
Old 03-17-2014, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
This thread reminds me of this fact:

Replace 'stealership' with 'hospital'/doctor
Replace 'broken mechanical item' with 'needed medical procedure'
Replace 'warranty' with 'covered procedure'

With medical insurance, it costs MORE than if you walk in off the street without insurance and pay cash. Just like what happens in post 18.

And if a procedure is not covered by insurance, blame the insurance policy which you purchased, not the location where you went to get the work!

Last edited by wilt; 03-17-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilt View Post
This thread reminds me of this fact:

Replace 'stealership' with 'hospital'
Replace 'broken mechanical item' with 'needed medical procedure'
Replace 'warranty' with 'covered procedure'

With medical insurance, it costs MORE than if you walk in off the street without insurance and pay cash. Just like what happens in post 18.

And if a procedure is not covered by insurance, blame the insurance policy which you purchased, not the location where you went to get the work!
You are totally right let's forget the warranty and the stealership all I'm trying to do now is to figure out were that noise is coming from.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
hard to say at this point what the noise is
And that's what is driving me crazy, should I just drive it and not worry about it?