Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-29-2012, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: 323i
Fuel Level Sensor question

I have a 2000 323i. I noticed a few weeks ago when I filled up, it fuel gauge did not show FULL. It showed only 3/4 full. After driving for a while, it slowly went to where it needed to be. The next time I filled up, it was the same thing. However, the time before last, after filling up, it stayed at 3/4 and then the next day, dropped to half. The "miles to empty" corresponded with the fuel gauge. I decided to rely on my trip meter to let me know when I needed to fill up. When I had driven to what my calculations would equal about a 1/2 tank, it seemed that the fuel gauge appeared to be working again. Still relying on my trip meter, I drove about another 75 miles, and the fuel gauge seemed to be okay.

Well, the last time I filled up was yesterday. Same problem as the time before. From what I have read on this forum, it appears that fuel level sensor on the driver's side is going bad and/or my husband needs to check the wires (the fuel pump was replaced in August). My question is, until I can get this fixed/looked at, if the fuel level sensor goes completely out and the fuel gauge shows empty, but I know that I have fuel in the car, will I still be able to drive it? I don't want to get stranded somewhere because the fuel level sensor went out and since the fuel gauge shows empty, the car stops running.

Any advice/response would be greatly appreciated!
Ads by Google
Old 11-29-2012, 01:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Car should drive fine. Just fill it up and keep track of the miles driven since fill up. If the gauge stops working, fill up every 200 miles and you should never run out of gas.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
+1
You'll have no problem. Gauge only function is to let you know the fuel level.