Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-27-2012, 10:34 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Do you really get the value of what you pay for when purchasing E39 goods & services?

In this E39 thread today, someone said "you get what you pay for".
-> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Rear brake pad compliment to OEM front

Likewise, that exact sentiment was stated in this thread:
-> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Searching for these headlights

Same statement in this thread:
-> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Might buy this 540, thoughts?

And this one too:
-> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Ever heard of "Pro Spor" coilovers?

Here also:
-> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Why do you choose NOT to perform a home DIY alignment

And here:
-> E39 (1997 - 2003) > BBA Reman ABS Module Bosch 5.7 $115

Bearing in mind that price and value, while often related, are not the same thing, the oft-quoted "you get what you pay for" today spurred me to open this specific thread.

Q: How could we further explore the relevance of that specific statement to the value of those goods and services we all purchase for our beloved E39s?
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need

Last edited by bluebee; 11-27-2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Added references.
Ads by Google
Old 11-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
BB, you raise a very difficult question to answer. While the cost of goods and services can easily be quantified, the return on the cost (value) varies with every purchase and is often subjective, especially when service is involved. When services are involved, is the value based on the speed of the service, or just the outcome of the service or does the level of effort involved (e.g. troubleshooting a problem) play a role in value? When goods are involved, a variety of parameters (performance, durability, appearance, etc.) combine to determine the value of the product. Some are objective but much is also subjective. I fall into the "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" category. As long as you think you got good value, then someone else's opinion is not relevant. That said, sometimes I will pay the premium price to get what I think I need (e.g. Lemforder) and other times I will go for simply the low cost (e.g. lowest cost gas, but still premium).
Old 11-27-2012, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Sometimes "you get what you pay for" is very subjective.
Example: 2 people want a tablet.
One guy buys the Ipad, the other the Samsung counterpart.
The first one does not care about $, but he wants what most people (due to media) believe is best.
the 2nd guy buys a cheaper brand with more functionality.
Both can argue they did "get what they paid for", yet if you interchange the product, BOTH might feel cheated.
There are numerous people who buy a 2-3 year old car vs the same brand new, because they believe a new car price is not justified, and a 2-3 year old car brings almost the same value as a brand new one.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 11-27-2012, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: e39 530i e24 e23 e30
In an effort to state it simply:

Value is subjective, I.E. our cars are worth more to us then they are to other people. e39's.... in fact no bmw is the best value as far as true transportation goes, if all we valued is getting from point A to point B we would all be driving 1996 Hyundai elantras. The value in driving a nice car is in the intangibles.

As far as an e39 goes, I think one would be hard pressed to disagree with me when I say its a pretty damn good car for ~7k. Is a new 70k 5 series 10 times as good? certainly not. Just because the price of parts for these cars is relatively high in comparison to the initial purchase price doesn't mean that they are not worth it. If spending a grand on a suspension upgrade makes your 7 grand bmw handle as good or better than a 70k bmw Id say its certainly a great value
Old 11-27-2012, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Kid View Post
In an effort to state it simply:

Value is subjective, I.E. our cars are worth more to us then they are to other people. e39's.... in fact no bmw is the best value as far as true transportation goes, if all we valued is getting from point A to point B we would all be driving 1996 Hyundai elantras. The value in driving a nice car is in the intangibles.

As far as an e39 goes, I think one would be hard pressed to disagree with me when I say its a pretty damn good car for ~7k. Is a new 70k 5 series 10 times as good? certainly not. Just because the price of parts for these cars is relatively high in comparison to the initial purchase price doesn't mean that they are not worth it. If spending a grand on a suspension upgrade makes your 7 grand bmw handle as good or better than a 70k bmw Id say its certainly a great value
You're not so stupid!