Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: x3,x5
Exhaust

Has anyone done any exhaust modification? Maybe installing a remus or other aftermarket exhaust?

A family member has a 4.8is from 2005, and that exhaust system is about the best sounding/compromise at crushing speed I've encountered. Loud when you want loud, quiet when your cruising.

I feel like my 08 4.8 is very quiet all the time. Would love to get a little extra growl when accelerating.

Did a few forum searches, didn't run into much. Anyone running anything?
Ads by Google
Old 11-21-2012, 09:45 AM

No one has even installed the Remus exhaust on an e70?
Old 11-24-2012, 04:46 AM

As a follow up, for anyone interested and following this thread, this is a popular magnaflow modification:

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...clips-too.html

In addition, I spoke with remus and they directed me to their Austrian website which contain sound clips:

http://www.remus.eu/0893071549-duple...mm-schrag.html

about half way down the page on the right hand side you will see a box with a play, stop buttons, and sound. You will see several different car configs, the one you want to click on is REMUS EC/ECC X5 E70 4.8L.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:43 PM

Figured I'd come back and provide an update. I did go ahead and install the Remus system on my 2008 E70 4.8. The installation requires cutting and a bit of fitting, not a huge job but it's also not a "bolt on" change.

Cosmetics:

The Remus system looks nice, although it's a little different. The exhaust tips protrude from the cutouts a little further than the stock system. Instead of being flush with the rear bumper, the tips stick out an inch or 2, enough to read the Remus logo on the top of the tip and enough to make a noticeable difference when you look at the rear of the car.

While I like this look, I certainly realize it will be a matter of opinion and personal preference.

Performance / Sound:

Remus doesn't make an claim of improved horsepower or anything, just a slightly louder and different sound.

In my opinion, the E70 4.8 is about as "dead" an exhaust system as you can get (at least in my 2008MY). There's almost no exhaust sound from this big V8. I was very surprised by that since they had such great exhaust sounds in the prior 4.6is/4.8is's. Some may like the silence in the cabin and equate it with "luxury", but to me, on a performance oriented car (sport package, 20 inch wheels, etc) it didn't add anything to the driving experience.

The Remus sound is a bit louder than stock and definitely more sporty and performance oriented. When I say "a bit louder", I mean it. The Remus system could EASILY pass for a stock system on a performance car. It's not typical "aftermarket" loud. For some who want louder aftermarket exhausts, the sound will still be way too quiet and they will be disappointed. However, for me, I think the slight increase is just about right and changes the way the car feels when you drive it aggressively. You almost want to accelerate out of the turns now just the hear the engine sound. Now, while the new sound profile is great, it could still be a little louder. I wasn't looking for aftermarket "loud" but even I could even handle a couple more dB's.

The sound isn't that different at idle or low RPM, it's really when you step on the gas and rev. At cruising speed you probably don't even know it's on there. But when you accelerate, it's enough of a difference that you do hear it.

It enhances my driving experience with the E70. I feel like it's a performance car again, and I "feel" like it's faster (even though it's not, it's amazing what sound can do to perception). IMO, it sounds a lot like the older 4.8is and 4.6is stock systems.

Is it really worth the nutty $1200 or so it costs just for the system, I don't know. I guess that's up to you!

Last edited by clinkinfo; 01-15-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Just from my experience members in these forums don't do much modification to their cars.. You might find more helpful info on Xoutpost and other X5 forums.

Also, I feel that my current stock exhaust sounds pretty darn good without it being obnoxiously loud
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Just from my experience members in these forums don't do much modification to their cars.. You might find more helpful info on Xoutpost and other X5 forums.

Also, I feel that my current stock exhaust sounds pretty darn good without it being obnoxiously loud

I've noticed people on this forum don't seem to do much on their cars (modifications or repairs it seems).

however, when I start a thread I like to at least provide any more information I can for other's when they search for common problems or are contemplating similar changes. I know some members here are handy, I've spoken with them! Plus, thread search results populate in Google when someone's looking based upon keywords.

Thanks, I've belonged and contributed over at Xoutpost for years now.

If your happy with your exhaust, then certainly, don't do this modification

However, for those of us who have had the 4.6/4.8is's, we miss the sound when we come to the E70 and pretty much feel like it's silent.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5, xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post

I was just reading articles from the weekly Roundel email, read this one and thought of this thread, which I'd just looked at as well. It's a bit OT, but I thought those looking for exhaust tips would find it interesting: http://www.bmwcca.org/node/5108.

Personally, I'd never thought of this approach! Makes some sense, as in most cases, the driver is the one wanting to hear the roar, although in a few cases, they probably also want others around them to hear it!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:13 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: E70 X5/E60 528i
Any videos or sound clip of the exhaust ?
Old 01-16-2013, 08:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by clinkinfo View Post
I've noticed people on this forum don't seem to do much on their cars (modifications or repairs it seems).

however, when I start a thread I like to at least provide any more information I can for other's when they search for common problems or are contemplating similar changes. I know some members here are handy, I've spoken with them! Plus, thread search results populate in Google when someone's looking based upon keywords.

Thanks, I've belonged and contributed over at Xoutpost for years now.

If your happy with your exhaust, then certainly, don't do this modification

However, for those of us who have had the 4.6/4.8is's, we miss the sound when we come to the E70 and pretty much feel like it's silent.
I wasn't trying to deter you from posting about modifications on this forum.. I was just trying to let you know why there is not much feedback on your thread.

Its interesting but some V8 X5 owners have said that the 3.5i sounds better or more throaty than their V8 versions..
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.