Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E90 M sport
Question on sport active package

HI

Looking to get a X5d and I have a few questions about the Sport Active Package

1. is there any cosmetic change besides the wheels and shadow trim?

2. why does the BMW site says "Sport suspension deleted"? x5d comes with sport suspension in stock form?

Not sure it is worth it, but I read that most forum members like the adaptive drive.
can this adaptive drive be ordered separately?

Thanks
B
2014 F25 N55 M sport
Ads by Google
Old 11-16-2012, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyk View Post
HI

2. why does the BMW site says "Sport suspension deleted"? x5d comes with sport suspension in stock form?

Not sure it is worth it, but I read that most forum members like the adaptive drive.

Thanks
B
You get the anthracite headliner, a sports steering wheel and sports seats unless you order the multi-contour seats for an additional charge. I think it says sport suspension delete because when you order this package on other models (P330A is a common option) the sport suspension is part of it. Mine came with the self leveling suspension and I'm not sure if this is included as part of the sports package, Adaptive Drive or some other package since my car does not have the third row seat which is an automatic for the SLS to be included.

Adaptive Drive is a no brainer MUST have option and definitely worth it IMO, and yes it can be ordered at the time you order the car. Chances are that you will not find a car equipped with it on any dealer's lot. If you have not driven one then you don't know what you're missing so it may be OK to ignore it and save the money then
Old 11-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
AD can ONLY be added as a stand alone option, AFAIK.

(The website is incorrect, ignore it)

Sport used to include AD (up to 2009), but now it is option '2VA' and is separate (in case you are looking at used cars)
Old 11-16-2012, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35D
I disagree on AD being a "no-brainer", even if many people here swear by it. Do your research and drive a car with The option before just dropping $3500 for it. I'm happy with my ride (excepting the tires), and I did not get AD.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: X5 50i M-Sport PP, 135i
Same here. I also did not get AD. I was not able to drive an X5 with it and was happy with the ride in the M-Sport. I got the 19" wheels and think the ride is more comfortable than in my M5.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

i purposefully did not give the OP any comment on AD as he didnt ask...

this thread will now turn into the same old "AD is great/terrible pissing match'

Old 11-17-2012, 11:03 AM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyk View Post
HI

Thanks
B
In addition to the shadow trim, you also get the wider fender flares that come on the M-series trucks. The only difference is that the non-M's aren't color-matched paint but rather are the same plastic-looking trim that are on all the non-M X's. As others have pointed out, the headliner and seats are an upgrade. I think there is also a slightly difference steering wheel as well (thicker leather and a few differences). You can also add the 214 20" wheels with the Sport which really makes the truck's looks SO much more aggressive (big fat butt...LOL) and I probably would not buy the Sport option without the 20" wheels/tires myself.

Here is an identical thread on a sister forum...
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=705014

I read that BMW deleted the "sport suspension" use to come on because it was simply WAY TOO STIFF for 99% of the buyers. Here are two threads showing those different options...
http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...elete-35d.html
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=440198

...or post #18 here...
http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...ion-tho-2.html

I could not find the actual review where these details show up so here is a link to another X6 review with comments about how stiff the non-sport suspension already is...

That was NOT AD but rather was a stiffer suspension. As others pointed out, AD was a different option that has been a common feature on the 7-series cars for a long time now. It was offered temporarily on the X-series for free for a short time as others have pointed out. As others have pointed out, there is almost a "cult" on AD (and HUD) options. Like most, I did not feel either was worth the price but here is a video on AD for educational purposed...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=BEegeeAKiPc#!

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)

Last edited by ndabunka; 11-17-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:20 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
In addition to the shadow trim, you also get the wider fender flares that come on the M-series trucks. The only difference is that the non-M's aren't color-matched paint but rather are the same plastic-looking trim that are on all the non-M X's.
You sure on that? I have the sport, and the flares are the same.

I think the flares are driven by bigger wheels.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:55 PM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
You sure on that? I have the sport, and the flares are the same.

I think the flares are driven by bigger wheels.
I Do have the optional 20's but was under the understanding that the flares weren't tied to the optional tires but there was a $950 price associated with the 20's so I guess it would be possible.

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)

Last edited by ndabunka; 11-17-2012 at 06:59 PM.