Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 11-17-2012, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: 95 bmw 540i
power loss

hello every one. having trouble 95bmw 540i starts right up and loses idel and dies unless i ,pedal to the floor ,takes forever to reach 2000rpms car shifts in to gear but dosnt have the power to move car ran perfect and fast before this . i herd air pissing out intake i sprayed brake fluid by fire wall and it got better and worse .?? thanks for your time
Ads by Google
Old 11-17-2012, 06:15 PM
Lucky to drive a BMW

Mein Auto: 2006 M5///
those systems sound as though your fuel pump or fuel filter is fatigued.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:07 PM

power loss

is their a back fire diaphragm that can cause this problem
Old 11-17-2012, 08:25 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
Did you or someone else do anything to the car recently that might have somehow led to this situation?

Is there something stuck in your air filter box ? Please open it and check.

Do not throw brake fluid anywhere in the engine bay except directly into the brake fluid reservoir. Brake fluid is apparently very caustic and if so can damage plastic and rubber which is found everywhere in the engine bay.

You do sound like you have an air intake situation. You can check for air/vacuum leaks by starting the engine, and spraying a can of carburetor cleaner all throughout the air intake channels, fittings, throttle body, and the intake manifold gasket. When you come upon a leak, the idle will suddenly improve, as carb cleaner is sucked in through the leakage and improves combustion in your engine.

However, if that doesn't help, LD may be right about fuel delivery. There's a fast way to check if fuel delivery/starvation is the problem. Get a can of carburetor cleaner. Spray it onto your air filter on the inside plastic, avoiding the filter itself as best as you can. Hold the spray for like 10 seconds. Button up the air box. Start the car (oh btw make sure the engine is already warmed up). Then take her for a short drive and see if she behaves better.

I know some of us have reservations about using carb cleaner as starting fluid or to run a car for short distances. Carb cleaner's octane rating is higher than standard fuel so preignition is not an issue. I've used it on my car with no problems to the engine whatsoever, in fact the engine's idle seems smoother, and I do recall once nearly 2 years ago helping someone who's car had broken down due to a bad fuel pump make it the next 8 miles to his house by giving him my can of carb cleaner and asking him to stop and spray into his air filter box every 5 minutes. The car runs at low rpms for around 5 minutes after a good jet of carb cleaner at the air filter. The guy was freaking out slightly because it was late at night and he had his unhappy wife and child with him.

I will extract STP's MSDS and post it here later. OP (original poster), if you have reservations about using carb cleaner, no problem, just take some regular gasoline and pour a little into your air box and give it 5 minutes. It will vapourise and get drawn into the intake as air is inhaled by the engine, and provide fuel for your car. Then go for a short test drive and see if that helps.

Alternatively, you could swop out your fuel filter and get yourself a new fuel pump and fuel relay. The latter two will die on you unexpectedly at this age, leading to a very inconvenient no start situations (please see the archives) and the former probably needs to be done anyway. So, even if this doesn't fix the problem, I wouldn't personally consider it a waste of money and time.

rgds,
Roberto

Last edited by robertobaggio20; 11-17-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Banned

Another thing....do the stomp test on your car. Check the maintenance sticky at the top of these forums for details about that if you don't know what this is. You'll get error codes out, and some of those might tell you exactly what's wrong here.

You might also have to check if your spark plugs are ok and if you have an oil leaks into your spark plug wells, due to a busted valve cover gasket (vcg).

Please take some time to go through all of this methodically.

Please read the maintenance sticky carefully.

rgds,
Roberto
Old 11-25-2012, 05:14 AM

Mein Auto: 535i & 318is
Talking virgontour......

(1)how much fuel you got in the tank..... (2)service history (3)air leak (4)stomp test
Old 11-25-2012, 06:19 AM
e34 User

Mein Auto: bmw e34
Deffiantly would have to say fuel system its not getting enough gass to get it moving try doing the obc test 20 and turning that up telling the csr to pump more fuel

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

FLICKR-INSTAGRAM-GMAIL
Old 11-25-2012, 06:31 AM
Banned

The op has disappeared....
Old 11-25-2012, 04:54 PM

yo yo powerloss

hey im back so my limp mode aka trans program 95 bmw 540i at 128000mi turned out to be intake x4, throttle x2, diaphragm blow out gaskets x1 and oil change car runs like a champ
Old 11-25-2012, 06:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph6985 View Post
hey im back so my limp mode aka trans program 95 bmw 540i at 128000mi turned out to be intake x4, throttle x2, diaphragm blow out gaskets x1 and oil change car runs like a champ
intake x 4 ?
throttle x 2 ?

Just the gaskets ?

How did you identify these problems to begin with ?
Old 11-25-2012, 08:07 PM

power loss

just opened the hood and lisened to the motor, pulled back the throttle and lisened . noticed front and rear of plentum pissing air the only information i couldnt find was ftlb tourk for plentum < located in the center of both valve covers > so i hand tightend and one full turn .. fired it up and throttle aka rpms restored you might not believe this but i didnt buy new gaskets i rvt'd them all and you cant see it any where i drove it bout 40 miles and shifted my automatic lol in sport mode gaskets include 2 for throttle 4 for plentum to intake chambers = 4 ,2 pair gaskets and 1 rear plentum diaphragm all rvt'd i do have other questions about the car
Old 11-25-2012, 08:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph6985 View Post
just opened the hood and lisened to the motor, pulled back the throttle and lisened . noticed front and rear of plentum pissing air the only information i couldnt find was ftlb tourk for plentum < located in the center of both valve covers > so i hand tightend and one full turn .. fired it up and throttle aka rpms restored you might not believe this but i didnt buy new gaskets i rvt'd them all and you cant see it any where i drove it bout 40 miles and shifted my automatic lol in sport mode gaskets include 2 for throttle 4 for plentum to intake chambers = 4 ,2 pair gaskets and 1 rear plentum diaphragm all rvt'd i do have other questions about the car
It might help us understand you better if you wrote more intelligibly and conventionally.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:11 AM
Old School

Mein Auto: E23;E30;E38;E32;E34 +
At least he is brief Robbo, at least he is brief...................................
Previous:
E21 318i; E30 318i; E32 735iL; E34 535i; E38 730iL; E53 4.4i
Old 11-26-2012, 05:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFatherFigure View Post
At least he is brief Robbo, at least he is brief...................................
Yes.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 535i & 318is
blocked fuel rail ?