Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-17-2012, 10:41 PM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Miata NC2
E93 Lubed roof pivots, now closes with loud bang/ clunk

Searching found nothing.

A week ago I purchased a used E93 with 10K miles. It's roof did not open well (stuck right hand latch) + the two times I used the roof it creaked badly (test drive and once again before taking it in). The local dealer fixed with 'adjusted roof latch' on the work sheet but it still creaked a little and there was no evidence of being lubed at pivots.

Today I lubed every roof pivot with Wurth HHS-K and put a light coating of white lithium grease in the cups. It now opens and closes really smoothly but when closing has a loud bang /clunk when the final section meets the top of the windshield.

Will this settle down over time or is there an adjustment to reduce the closing force?

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars
Ads by Google
Old 11-17-2012, 10:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 335Xi, 2013 X1
LOL I was going to say pack the latch with grease but it might splat everywhere

I would try and remove the grease from some of the last section.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:09 AM
Tastes like chicken

Mein Auto: '09 328i E93 SGM/CR
SIB 54 06 07

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...05&postcount=5
Old 11-18-2012, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3_E46 View Post
Searching found nothing.

A week ago I purchased a used E93 with 10K miles. It's roof did not open well (stuck right hand latch) + the two times I used the roof it creaked badly (test drive and once again before taking it in). The local dealer fixed with 'adjusted roof latch' on the work sheet but it still creaked a little and there was no evidence of being lubed at pivots.

Today I lubed every roof pivot with Wurth HHS-K and put a light coating of white lithium grease in the cups. It now opens and closes really smoothly but when closing has a loud bang /clunk when the final section meets the top of the windshield.

Will this settle down over time or is there an adjustment to reduce the closing force?

Congrats! You have entered the world of DIY vehicle mods, and discovered the law of unintended consequence.

Yup, one thing leads to another. Please, post a photo DIY re: work done so far + resolution.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Code/wrench Monkey

Thanks greatly for the tips.

Today it's operating perfectly. Perhaps there is an auto-adjust mechanism?

Yesterday it did show the yellow car on lift symbol twice. Digging out my old OBD II USB interface showed these codes: B2a00 and B2aaa

Doubt it's related but yesterday I changed the air filter, cabin filter, oil filter and engine oil + recently ran it down to virtually zero miles (used Techron in last tank) and refilled with premium. It seemed a neglected company car so probably never saw anything other than regular gas in the 10.3K miles before I bought it.

Filterd were all as expected for 10k miles, but the engine oil was surprisingly dark considering BMW told me it was changed about thirty miles before I bought it. When time permits diff, transmission, brake and coolant fluids will be changed.

OBD output below:

<TESTABILITY_ISSUES>
<TESTABILITY_ISSUE>None</TESTABILITY_ISSUE></TESTABILITY_ISSUES>
<MIL_STATUS>
<MIL_STATE>Off</MIL_STATE></MIL_STATUS>
<DTC_RESULTS>
<DTC_NUMBER>B2a00</DTC_NUMBER>
<DTC_DESCRIPTION>Unknown Trouble Code Description</DTC_DESCRIPTION>
</DTC_RESULTS>
<DTC_RESULTS>
<DTC_NUMBER>B2aaa</DTC_NUMBER>
<DTC_DESCRIPTION>Unknown Trouble Code Description</DTC_DESCRIPTION>
</DTC_RESULTS>
<FF_INFO>
<FF_DTC>Freeze Frame (Frame 0) for DTC P0000 </FF_DTC>
</FF_INFO>
</doc>

Not much to show photo-wise. I put into transformer mode and lubed every pivot with Wurth HHS-K. Beyond this pic I retracted it further so the 'hood boot' is elevated that gives access to even more pivots/ cups. Gummi Pflege went on the seals. Now the clunking has stopped it seems a really smart/easy DIY. If anyone does the same be sure to put lots of old towels down to catch run-off + wipe the excess of otherwise it'll attract dirt. Given how smoother it is now I am very sure the dealership did not lube it when in for the sticking roof repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	56054_10151281680848489_1187574379_o.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	349933  

Last edited by MP3_E46; 11-24-2012 at 06:29 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
Those codes are from a generic OBDII reader - you will need to scan with a BMW Can bus tool to get useful BMW codes that will tell you what is going on, Bavarian Technic cable or something similar.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:27 AM
Code/wrench Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Those codes are from a generic OBDII reader - you will need to scan with a BMW Can bus tool to get useful BMW codes that will tell you what is going on, Bavarian Technic cable or something similar.
Thanks for tip. That's a pricey tool for DIY!

Thinking about it more than likely the codes are related the battery. I have an Elm 327 module arriving soon so can watch the voltage while driving; the car keeps showing the low battery light. Dealer replaced a battery module(?) two weeks ago but I think the battery is about kaput. The car is very low mileage (10.3K miles in three years) so likely sat unused for an extended period of time which kills lead acid batteries