Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 08-09-2012, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 535iA
Question Please Help...No Start Issue 1992 525i Touring

Hello again Steve,

As per your suggestion I moved posting here hoping that more would help resolve issue/s asap?

To Jon Shafer, Steve and all festers out there, thank you for all the invaluable information here. Please reply and send any info that might help solve yet another No Start Issue...

Steve the no spark analysis might not be so because when i tried spraying a little starter fluid it sounded like it almost wanted to start! I felt it was unnecessary to repeat that abrasive process instead I will try using a spark tester to finally confirm having spark or none at all.

Will keep you posted - Thanks again!
__________________________________________________ ______________

Re: Requesting for assistance please...DME SWAP Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes 535i
Hello Steve,

congrats...I just read your fantastic success story with your dme swap.

I have a no start issue with a 1992 e34 525i touring.
Replaced CPS, camshaft sensor, fuel pump and filter, air filter, swapped MAF with a known good one, replaced thermostat sensor, changed oil and filter, changed main and fp relay, replaced all spark plugs yet no fuel no spark.

I have a working 1991 e34 525i sedan with a DME ending in 405. The ending of wagon's DME is 402

My questions are:

Would a dme swap from the 91 sedan work for the 92 wagon? Or do i have to open each DMe to swap chips? Im afraid to do anything because i cant afford for the 1991 to break down or not start too after ?

Your input would be highly appreciated sir...thank you.

note:

- immediately after jumping the fuel pump relay i hear a clicking sound under my intake manifold but cant seem to pinpoint it's origin? Any significance to all this?

- (pump is new) but no clicking or buzzing sound

- stomp test result: one code 1261 and displays "check control"

mike
661 6456530

Welcome Mike!

HmmmÖ.. It sounds like you have covered most of the bases to rule out common problems. You say you have no spark. Have you confirmed this with a test or are you assuming? If you have not confirmed it with a test, I would do that. Another cheap, quick way to check is to try about a 2-3 second squirt of starting fluid in the airbox while someone is trying to crank the car. If it runs with starting fluid, then you have confirmed spark and narrowed it down to a fuel delivery problem. If you have confirmed by testing that you do not have spark, then I agree that your DME may be bad.

You say that you donít hear the fuel pump buzz. If you jumper 30 and 87 at the fuel pump relay socket, then the pump should come on and you should hear it buzzing since this sends 12V to the pump as long as the terminals are jumped.. If it does not, then you may have a wiring problem. Jump 30 and 87 and check for 12V at the fuel pump connector. If you donít have 12V, then you have a problem in the wiring. Oh yeah, you did confirm that the fuel pump fuse is okay, right?

If you confirm that everything is okay in the fuel delivery category, then you have to look at spark. Make sure that you have the CPS plugged in haha.

Back to your original question, I donít know if the DME swap would work or not. Are both engines M50ís? If so, then I think it would be okay to swap the DME to see if it will run with the one from the 91. I do understand your hesitancy though. Roberto was telling me that I could use the 402 DME out of my E34 in my E36, but I was afraid I would short something out in my E34 DME, so I never did try it.

I donít know if any of this has helped or not. I will continue to contemplate your dilemma and let you know if I come up with anything. Let me know if you get it fixed. Also, this would be a good question for the general forum. There are some guys on there much smarter than I am about these things.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1989 BMW 535i
So what happens when you turn key to on, and start.

Clicking would most likely be injectors. So that's good.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 535iA
Please Help...No Start Issue 1992 525i Touring

When i turn key to start engine it would turn over but will not start...

I also experienced fuel flooding from over cranking before i learned that i should remove the fuel pump fuse. Fuel saturated my oil so i had to do another oil and filter change.

After flushing out fuel from chambers, cleaning/ drying out plugs, oil and filter change i removed fuel pump fuse, sprayed starter fluid, tried starting it would crank but did not turn over but it would not

I was reading something about fuel flooding and the air temp sensor underneath the intake manifold as cause when it goes bad?
Old 08-09-2012, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 1989 BMW 535i
I'm not familiar with the cars so I dont know. I bought mine last week.

Well if your getting fuel, then you need to test air, compression and spark. And from I understand you got spark. So that leaves compression and air. There really isn't a way not to get air other than faulty timing. Which the car would throw a code for cps, or ckps. Unless there was something like a head gasket major repair just prior to this.

Compressions easy, get a compression test, and or leak down tester and test it. Tell me how that goes.

Just for clarification, you flooded after it wouldn't start. You can't hear the pump when jumping the pump circuit, but injectors actuate....

Mechanics is so fun, a puzzle within puzzles.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 535i
I have a 1992 bmw 535i I was driving to work today and at stop lights I had to put the car in nurtrul because it started acting like it wanted to stall,so I had to give more gas until the light changed. After work when I went to start it , it just kept turning over but would not fire . Then it went completly dead.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:33 PM
Old School

Mein Auto: E23;E30;E38;E32;E34 +
pstumper - new thread.

This sounds like a pure elecrtical (spark problem). Fuel pump running (relay and pump ok), injectors opening (cps sending a signal) so that only leaves spark (or it's creation).
Previous:
E21 318i; E30 318i; E32 735iL; E34 535i; E38 730iL; E53 4.4i
Old 11-20-2012, 10:12 PM

Mein Auto: 1989 525i M20B25
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1615162&highlight=m20