Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The future is now! The all new 6 series coupe (F12) and convertible (F13) details are out and dealers are taking orders. Still no word on when the 4 door Gran Coupe will go into production.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Interior panels

Anyone get any rattling in their interior when driving over bumps? It drives me absolutely crazy. My headliner just behind the passenger seat rattles enough to hear it over my music (I can replicate the sound by lightly tapping on it) and some minor rattling in the door panels and trim. Maybe the NYC metro area roads have taken their toll on the stiffness of my interior but I'm going to take it in to service to remedy this. Completely unacceptable for a car of this caliber. It sounds like an '88 Ford of some sort.
Ads by Google
Old 11-18-2012, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 650 x-drive m-sport
Hockeyman, some parts of the interior, depending upon how they are made, tend to "loosen up" after time. As long as you have a dealership that will work with you to solve the issue, they WILL get to the bottom of it. Dont forget, these dealerships are handed product from the factory that they didnt build and sometimes the factory is no help! I just got out of a 2010 Jaguar and the rattles that were there continued for three years at which point I bailed out. I wouldnt give a cardboard puck for a Jaguar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-18-2012, 10:26 AM

My dealership isn't the problem. I been with them for a while and they know us.

I just hope they can fix it. It definitely got worse over time but seriously, I was praising BMW for its interior stiffness in the beginning. Only thing I could hear is the suspension on the bumps. Bad interior rattle is one of my pet peeves which is synonymous with cheap.

I'll be happy of they can fix the headliner problem. That's one that drives me nuts more than anything else. I can deal with the others.

Does anyone know how the headliner is fixed to the ceiling? It kind of sounds like there is an adhesive there that lost its "sticky" properties and makes a clicking sound when I push it up. Like if you have a piece of tape and you keep sticking and removing it. That kind of sound.

You a hockey fan too?

Last edited by Itinj6; 11-18-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: 650xi Coupe
I have the same issue, i drive primarily in NYC & its freaking me out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinj6 View Post
Anyone get any rattling in their interior when driving over bumps? It drives me absolutely crazy. My headliner just behind the passenger seat rattles enough to hear it over my music (I can replicate the sound by lightly tapping on it) and some minor rattling in the door panels and trim. Maybe the NYC metro area roads have taken their toll on the stiffness of my interior but I'm going to take it in to service to remedy this. Completely unacceptable for a car of this caliber. It sounds like an '88 Ford of some sort.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
I have an annoying squeak coming from the steering wheel every time I turn... Sound like it need a little lubricant... No rattles that I notice...
Old 11-18-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm652 View Post
I have the same issue, i drive primarily in NYC & its freaking me out!
Ok, so it's not just me... I guess it's semi-normal then.

Last edited by Itinj6; 11-18-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmM HoLLa View Post
I have an annoying squeak coming from the steering wheel every time I turn... Sound like it need a little lubricant... No rattles that I notice...
If you have the "i" with the electric steering, I think I know what you're talking about and it's normal. Kinda sounds like a bone dry fluid reservoir, right? I have the same on both my F12 (prior) and F13 (current)
Old 11-18-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
If you have the "i" with the electric steering, I think I know what you're talking about and it's normal. Kinda sounds like a bone dry fluid reservoir, right? I have the same on both my F12 (prior) and F13 (current)
It's almost like I need to drop a little cooking oil or something between where the steering wheel is bolted on.. It's drive me crazy.. Especially when it's cold out... I haven't had a chance to go to the dealership.. I may go tomorrow to get it looked at..
Old 11-18-2012, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2012 650i xDrive
My seat feels like it shifts slightly under hard maneuvering. I've been meaning to do something about it but haven't made it to the dealership. This would be covered under the 4 year/50k mile coverage, correct? No panel looseness/creaks/rattles that I've noticed. Steering is silent on my 650xi.

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
http://www.youtube.com/user/Southern6er22
http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/
Old 11-18-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmM HoLLa View Post
It's almost like I need to drop a little cooking oil or something between where the steering wheel is bolted on.. It's drive me crazy.. Especially when it's cold out... I haven't had a chance to go to the dealership.. I may go tomorrow to get it looked at..
I would love to hear what your service dept has to say. I asked mine and they pretty much said its normal. I didn't believe until I heard it on both my cars.

Cooking oil bad lol. My dad owns a business that fixes deli slicing machines. One of his customers tried using Mazola to lubricate it. Cooking oil gets tacky after a while and hardens up lol. I'm sure you were kidding though
Old 11-18-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
My seat feels like it shifts slightly under hard maneuvering. I've been meaning to do something about it but haven't made it to the dealership. This would be covered under the 4 year/50k mile coverage, correct? No panel looseness/creaks/rattles that I've noticed. Steering is silent on my 650xi.
It should be covered under warranty. That's not something that was delivered to you like that and I'm sure your bony a$$ didn't cause it lol.

I bet the roads in Alerbammer are silky smooth too lol

The electric steering isn't loud by any means but you can hear it (barely) when there's no ambient noise which also gives the perception that it needs lubrication.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:52 PM

We do have pretty good roads, and I'm a careful plopper when it comes to my seat. lol I heard someone else encountered his, too.

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
Old 11-18-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
Absolutely covered under warranty. Ive seen this issue mentioned a few times Southern.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
My dealership isn't the problem. I been with them for a while and they know us.

I just hope they can fix it. It definitely got worse over time but seriously, I was praising BMW for its interior stiffness in the beginning. Only thing I could hear is the suspension on the bumps. Bad interior rattle is one of my pet peeves which is synonymous with cheap.

I'll be happy of they can fix the headliner problem. That's one that drives me nuts more than anything else. I can deal with the others.

Does anyone know how the headliner is fixed to the ceiling? It kind of sounds like there is an adhesive there that lost its "sticky" properties and makes a clicking sound when I push it up. Like if you have a piece of tape and you keep sticking and removing it. That kind of sound.

You a hockey fan too?
I was but something happened to the season! Is your headliner issue in the convertible or the cpe?
Old 11-18-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I would love to hear what your service dept has to say. I asked mine and they pretty much said its normal. I didn't believe until I heard it on both my cars.

Cooking oil bad lol. My dad owns a business that fixes deli slicing machines. One of his customers tried using Mazola to lubricate it. Cooking oil gets tacky after a while and hardens up lol. I'm sure you were kidding though
Of course... Haha... As Anal as I am about my car... The thought alone makes me cringe.. Lol
Old 11-18-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie99 View Post
I was but something happened to the season! Is your headliner issue in the convertible or the cpe?
Season? What is this season you speak of? Lol.

The issue is with my current coupe with the M-Sport alcantara headliner. I was debating stuffing some kind of padding in there. Although it would be out of sight, the thought of cheapo rigging it like that bothers me.

Last edited by Itinj6; 11-18-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Season? What is this season you speak of? Lol.

The issue is with my current coupe with the M-Sport alcantara headliner. I was debating stuffing some kind of padding in there. Although it would be out of sight, the thought of cheapo rigging it like that bothers me.
I get the feeling that the dealer has seen this before so they SHOULD be able to take care of it.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:01 PM

I hope you're right but I'm wondering if the headliner panels snap in or are glued in. If snapped, I would try taking them out and troubleshooting from there. I don't want to mess with adhesive or I might pull down my whole ceiling by accident.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
I don't want to mess with adhesive or I might pull down my whole ceiling by accident.
I'd say go for it. Best case scenario, BMW gives you a new 6er - GC this time? Might as well let BMW fix you up with the newest member of the family for the next 6er you eff up

I guess the worst case scenario is it looks like your headliner has an unsightly growth protruding beneath the alcantara. That would be less than ideal though...

Old 11-18-2012, 10:11 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
head to the dealer, theyll probably install some felt pieces wherever.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!