Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 12-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
$80 wiper blades?

Went to dealership to pick up some small items and mentioned that it was probably time to replace the wiper blades (I usually replace them just before winter and after winter). He quoted me a price of $80. What the...?!?

What has made wiper blades so expensive now? They will replace one set per year under the free maintenance program, but..., wow, that seems insane. Alternatives?
Ads by Google
Old 12-09-2012, 11:28 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Sounds like a great deal! I would run to get a pair, since theirs a rubber shortage affecting Washington. all things rubbery have become scarce and prices are skyrocketing. Its a great time to be a rubber manufacturer or a stealership.

All jokes aside. save yourself $50 bucks, purchase them from anywhere else, like autozone or anything B&M. if you wanna save yourself $80, i suggest heading to any reputable online autoparts store ie Rockauto, find some ANCO blades, order and ship them to your house. (dont forget a 5% coupon for shipping). Then get them home, take the packing slip, fill out a rebate form, send and get back your money for a truly free set of blades! Unless your getting them under the free maintenance dont buy wiper blades from the dealer

Enjoy

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 12-10-2012, 04:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
On our Acura I replace the rubber wipe inserts only at a cost of about $15 for a pair. The factory blade assembly is very expensive.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:07 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboardjoe View Post
Went to dealership to pick up some small items and mentioned that it was probably time to replace the wiper blades (I usually replace them just before winter and after winter). He quoted me a price of $80. What the...?!?

What has made wiper blades so expensive now? They will replace one set per year under the free maintenance program, but..., wow, that seems insane. Alternatives?
Ummm that is part of FREE maintenance warranty 4yr or 50k miles.........crappy dealership if they are trying to charge you for something that is supposed to be FREE!

Go to the BMWNA website and print out what the warranty covers...they are on there.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more

Last edited by Evlengr; 12-10-2012 at 05:08 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:07 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Firestone sells decent wiper blade inserts for a very decent price. Takes about three minutes to install them.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Oh, yeah, they said they will replace them for free under the free maintenance. They will only do that once per year. Wiper blades don't last 365 days in the Pacific Northwest.

My 2003 325xi wiper blades were cheap from the dealership (had to cut the rubber and fit the metal ribs and all). Just wondering what made them so expensive with the 2013 X3.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboardjoe View Post
Oh, yeah, they said they will replace them for free under the free maintenance. They will only do that once per year. Wiper blades don't last 365 days in the Pacific Northwest.

My 2003 325xi wiper blades were cheap from the dealership (had to cut the rubber and fit the metal ribs and all). Just wondering what made them so expensive with the 2013 X3.
They aren't anything special... Crappy dealership imo. I found this out the hard way. I dealt with Passport BMW of MD for years thinking it was a BMWNA thing. I argued with them for over 5 months on an issue. I took it to Russel BMW of MD and they had it resolved in less than 5 HOURS.

Moral of the story.... some dealerships just suck and act like they are losing their left arm to help you when in actuality the right dealer has no problem with these things. They replaced the wipers every time I brought it in without me asking.

You notice I make a point of slamming Passport every chance I get and giving Russel credit as they earned it and all over a couple of bucks.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more

Last edited by Evlengr; 12-10-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:07 AM

Mein Auto: X3
The blades on the new x3 are not the same as the cut to fit refill insert blades on the e46 and e83. They use the newer frameless blade design. You cannot just purchase an insert as you have to replace the cartridge.

You get a free set each year up to year 4. Outside of that pick up the equivalent at Napa ect. The Bosch Icon blades are close to oem but are still around $25 to $30 each.

In my experience it isn't rain that wears out the blades but extremely heat and cold cycles. Instead of replacing the blades outright now, try cleaning them extremely well with isopropyl alcohol (a pad from a first aid kit works awesome). You will be amazed at how black the towel will be and it will drastically fix streaking on your windshield.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
Valeo ,tirer@ck 17$ apiece.Im not a rep but excuse me if I'm not supposed to post this.Oh and mine came in one day.I do have a 545i but Valeo Ultimate is OEM,best on the market IMO.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
hmm, now I know why the x1 loaner the Dealership gave me didn't have new wipers....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiper.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	352809