Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-23-2010, 05:06 AM
Bimmerholic

Mein Auto: 2001 530 SP/PP/CWP/Slush
Added BMW Fuel Treatment: car feels better

Could be psychosomatic but after adding a bottle of BMW Fuel System Cleaner Plus (now with Techron!!) I felt a near-immediate improvement in acceleration in my butt dyno.

Am I imagining things? Is this even possible? I have never added a fuel system clear before so this was a first for me. Maybe the injectors were clogged . . .

2001 530 Steel Blue Metallic, purchased Dec 03
SP/PP/CWP/Slushbox (I know I know)

OEM M5 bumper, 40% Huper Optik ceramic tint, Dice Silverline Pro iPod adapter, 540SP radial spokes, Zimmerman Z-Coat rotors w/ Hawk HPS pads
"Mods": driveshaft, cooling system, Vanos, CCV, PSR, VCG, FSU, spark plugs, buncha belts-n-hoses, & other things I'd just as soon forget

BMW CCA member for 12 years
Advertisement
Old 12-23-2010, 06:19 AM
Hofmeister Kink

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/5
I've had similar results using the Chevron-branded version. I think it's supposed to be kerosene with a detergent additive.

It does seem to make the car feel like throttle input comes on more smoothly but like you said..

It could be all in my head.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:16 AM
Gearhead

Mein Auto: '98 528i, '82 323i
Ever since they've added corn into the fuel, my car goes sluggish every 4 months it seems.
Same deal w/ the gas I put inside my toy hauler for running my Onan generator and fueling my dirt bikes. They're coming out of my toyhauler's fuel hose in a darker color than when they're getting fueled into the tank. This is real garbage we're having to deal w/ now that the corn growers have won to have this fake fuel thrown into the supply.

I used to use Techron, but now I'm a believer in the Redline S1 additive. It's got twice the techron chemical as Techron to combat that corn turning to, what sugar? inside our tanks.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
Yes, the Redline fuel additive was recommended by the "Doctor Injector" shop that removed and overhauled my fuel injectors recently. Although, my injectors were in pretty damn good shape for having 152k on them. I have used (and continue to use, since I have a good supply on the shelf) Lubro Moly "Jectron" fuel injector cleaner every 5k to 7k miles.
Factory M-Sport package with factory installed M-tech bumpers, factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Hofmeister Kink

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/5
Good advice folks.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
I've used the Chevron fuel additive to try and cure my previous hesitation issue but it had no effect. I didn't notice any differences. Do I need to have my butt dyno recalibrated? I finally replaced my Vanos seals and this did the trick. I also felt an increase in torque so maybe my butt dyno is OK after all.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:41 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 2003 540i/6 //m-tech
Techron will not only keep the injectors clean, it also helps keep the fuel gauge working properly. I throw a bottle in each of my cars about every 2k miles. Top Tier gas also has the Techron additive in it.

Last edited by chiefwej; 12-23-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530 bmw
so before you fill up gas you pour the techron in the gas tank? I want to start using this stuff
Old 12-23-2010, 09:02 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
I admit I use Techron too but I think it is all placebo and only in my head!
Bottom line for me: waste of $.
Unless someone shows me a properly done study (not by Techron) proving the injector is better after Techron Tx.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:19 PM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
This:
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/api.aspx
Old 12-23-2010, 09:23 PM
Freude am Fahren

Do a search on the forum, several members have had problems with fuel sensors that were cured with a few treatments with Techron. If it dissolves deposits on the sensor elements then it should do the same for injectors.

I have never had a problem with clogged injectors or fuel sensors and I use Techron, but since you can't prove a negative, that doesn't really prove it. BMW recommends Top Tier gas, so they must believe.

Last edited by chiefwej; 12-23-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:45 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
it should have a positive effect unless your injectors,fuel system and tank is in perfect condition.As far as i know it decreases the level of water in your tank also.So this may also help to see your actual gas level.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:58 PM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugratu View Post
it should have a positive effect unless your injectors,fuel system and tank is in perfect condition.As far as i know it decreases the level of water in your tank also.So this may also help to see your actual gas level.
Deposits form on the sensors that are dissolved by the chemicals in the Techron.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1695882
Old 12-24-2010, 05:28 AM

Mein Auto: '99 528iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherGeezer View Post
Good advice folks.
Yes it is..............

255K miles on the 535.
215K miles on the 528.

I normally do this when changing oil and filter. I also add Lubro Molly valve cleaner at the same time.

Santa brings me a case of each every year!

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.
Benjamin Franklin

2001 530iA STEEL BLUE/Sand - Sport/Premium/Cold Package
1999 528iA JET BLACK/Black - Sport/Premium/Heated Seats
1999 528iT CASHMERE BEIGE/Sand - Sport/Premium Package - 5 speed
1982 Fiat 2000 Spider - BLUE METALLIC/Blue
Old 12-24-2010, 07:35 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
I'm not a believer in "miracles in a can", so I stayed out of this thread, but I can still point you to a good honest discussion of how the Techron "soap-for-gas" reputedly works, over here which contains more detail:
- Techron Concentrate Plus is fixing my fuel gauge

BTW, the polyether amines and polybutene succinimides in Techron are merely a 10x concentration of what is already in your gasoline.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	injector.jpg
Views:	3516
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	259596  
Old 12-24-2010, 08:43 AM
Bimmerholic

Mein Auto: 2001 530 SP/PP/CWP/Slush
Quote:
Originally Posted by e39 bimmer View Post
so before you fill up gas you pour the techron in the gas tank? I want to start using this stuff
Pour it in and then fill up or just add it to a full tank (that's what I did). The BMW Fuel System Cleaner Plus is about $12 per bottle with CCA discount at stealer.

Let me add that I did this based on MM's recommendation in the newest version of the Old School Maintenance Schedule. He rec's adding it every 5-7k miles. FWIW. . .

This is from the thread BB referenced, a BMW TIS:

"Regular use of BMW Group Fuel System Cleaner Plus can help address carbon deposits related symptoms listed above. By removing these deposits, an engine may experience restored power, performance and fuel efficiency, a smoother idle running, lower emissions, and reduced octane requirement.

BMW Group Fuel System Cleaner Plus uses polyether amine TECHRONŽ based technology developed and patented by Chevron. BMW Group Fuel System Cleaner Plus has proven to clean up deposits in fuel injectors, ports & intake valves and reduces the harmful effects of combustion chamber deposits. It helps restore performance lost due to deposit build-up.

Chevron and BMW have run an extensive "no harm" tests with polyether amine technology. When used as directed, it will not harm catalytic converters, oxygen sensors, or any other mechanical components of the engine, or fuel delivery system.

The effectiveness of the additive depends on its presence in the gasoline in large concentrations for short periods of time. One treatment is usually sufficient, but a second treatment (one 20 oz bottle per each, consecutive full tank of gas) may give additional benefits. To keep your fuel intake system clean, we recommend usage at every 3000 miles.

Additionally, vehicle's fuel sending units equipped with silver plated resistor card/contacts are especially vulnerable to attacks by elemental sulfur and/or hydrogen sulfide found in fuels. Adding BMW Group Fuel System Cleaner Plus immediately upon noticing erratic fuel gauge behavior may, in many cases, restore proper performance due to the additive's ability to remove the harmful sulfur compounds from the sending unit's contact surface. Additionally, BMW Group Fuel System Cleaner Plus can help protect the fuel gauge from future malfunctioning by coating all metal surfaces of the fuel system."

2001 530 Steel Blue Metallic, purchased Dec 03
SP/PP/CWP/Slushbox (I know I know)

OEM M5 bumper, 40% Huper Optik ceramic tint, Dice Silverline Pro iPod adapter, 540SP radial spokes, Zimmerman Z-Coat rotors w/ Hawk HPS pads
"Mods": driveshaft, cooling system, Vanos, CCV, PSR, VCG, FSU, spark plugs, buncha belts-n-hoses, & other things I'd just as soon forget

BMW CCA member for 12 years

Last edited by Josh P.; 12-24-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Lubro-Moly FTMFW!!!!
BMW approved as well.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 12-24-2010, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 525i
I used Lucas fuel injection treatment and noticed an almost immediate difference in acceleration. Figured it was all in my mind. Guess I'm not alone ...

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
Old 12-24-2010, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i Sport
I have only ran shell premium in my car. I started browsing the forum on this issue. I decided to run the lucas oil fuel system cleaner and noticed a considerable decrease in my idle. About a month later my wife decided it would be a good idea to run the tank down to a single digit range on the MID and figured I would just fill the car up later. I have heard rumors about letting the tank run that low as you were picking up the containaments at the bottom of the tank thru the system. I figured I would run the tecron treatment with the fill up and got the same results. I think I should probably change my fuel filter now. Anyhow, I have read that filling up with the higher end gas stations like Shell that you shoud not have to run any type of fuel treatment because the fuel already has the detergents that are in the fuel treatments.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
I was at Napa Auto Parts, and they sell Liqui Moly F.I. cleaner (made in Germany) for $4.95/each.
Has anyone used this stuff?

This is a youtube video:

Old 11-26-2012, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
That's the stuff I use. I purchased a whole kit from Bavauto. 6 Jectron, 6 Ventil Sauber and 1 Motor Protect. i think they do a good job. Have the car for 8 years now, haven't had any misfire, or poor perfomance issue. I used it less than the "recommended" alternate fill-up.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 11-26-2012, 02:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i 5spd Manual
Guys guys... let's face it. Most of the additives we buy are way over priced for what they really do. Nobody has brought up B-12 Chem tool. Stuff is Freakin awsome! And you can get it for $3.17/can @ walmart. Stuff is stupid strong, so don't over do it, it will melt plastic and rubber. I put a can in my wife's '08 C300 with 42.5k miles. I doubt the car has ever had a treatment. Always run 93 octane gas. 1 can to a full tank. Drove it for about 150 miles of HWY to the family's place for thanksgiving. Next morning went out to move the car and when I fired it up it smoked a massive cloud of white/oil whatever like a seafoam cloud. Car has never smoked before or after that one time. Uses no oil. Very convenient for it to to smoke the whole driveway out the day after running B-12 in it for 150 miles and letting it sit overnight. Car got 29.6 mpg door to door @ 80mph fully loaded with suite cases and kid stuff on the way back. I like the Chevron stuff but it's pricey and I know darn well the B-12 works well.

few weeks ago I was cleaning the intake resonator on my 530i out, 101k miles and it had a good amount of varnish and gum in the bottom of it. PB laster didn't touch it. WD40 didn't touch it... Pouredin about 2 oz of B-12, shook it around, waited 3-5 minutes poured it out.... gone. Stuff is like a moletof cocktail. I doubt you'll find a better product for so little money.

Garage queen: '07 335i Sedan, base pkg, 6spd Manual, Procede 3 V5 w/NLS, staggered 18" 313's w/Conti DWS's, OS Giken TCD LSD, VAC Street Diff Cover, Akebono Euro Pads, CDV Removed, Black BMW Grilles, Interior & Exterior white LED lighting, LUX Angel Eyes, Debadged, Llumar ATR Tint.

Last edited by FLE39; 11-26-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 540it M-Tech
One of my best friends is a 35-year Mercedes mechanic and he has always told me to use Redline. He and a BMW master tech I know say it's the only fuel additive that works the way it's claimed to. I put in a bottle every 3-months in both cars.