Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8Pilot View Post
I'd skip on the 20" and get the adaptive drive. I have both and the cost of replacing the tires on the 20's vs the 19's seals the deal for me on my net diesel order. The AD is worth the money in my book if you want a great handling X5. Good luck!
Absolutely !!!!!!!!!!!!! Very wise words, all future buyers need to read this. AD eliminates MOST of the X5 flaws. The ones that are left I forget about the next time I drive it. The diesel is a torque monster as well.

Disclaimer: All three engines are great (as not to start any fights).
Mods : Clear Bra-Radar Hard-wired
So far so good-made on Wednesday
Old 12-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgejm View Post
Absolutely !!!!!!!!!!!!! Very wise words, all future buyers need to read this. AD eliminates MOST of the X5 flaws. The ones that are left I forget about the next time I drive it. The diesel is a torque monster as well.

Disclaimer: All three engines are great (as not to start any fights).
1. AD is floaty. and pricey- plus you cant see it and polish it
2. Those 20"s sure look good filling out the fender wells
3. The better handling with the 20s offsets the lack of AD
4. AD is really only if you drive very aggressively
5. I agree with george's post, 100%

So. ONLY one of the above comments is true. Guess...
Old 12-10-2012, 10:13 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Wait, why does nearly every car feature post has to turn into a promotion for AD? Here is my take.

Get AD if you are the type of person that:

1. Loves curvy road more than straight line accelerations.
2. Loves more about technologies that makes a car drives better than the electronic gadgets that interface with you.

Don't get AD if you drive most of the time in straight line. The only difference you will feel is the suspension setup. You can get around that by getting 18" tires or 19". 18" gives you more air = more cushion over bumps.

It is that simple. I love the curves. I really don't care much for straight line accelerations as long as it gets me in freeway merging in reasonable speed. Some people like 0-60, that is why they get biggest engine out there to feel the accelerations.

On a side note, I tried sports seat and multi-contour seats. I like the standard seats. I can be comfortable for a very long time.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:02 AM

Mein Auto: X5d
It is all a preference thing...seats, wheels, AD, and color. There are plusses and minuses on everything. 35d = +economy(sometimes) +torque +ecodiscount -noise -maintenance -acceleration -6spd. AD = ...

I didn't drive AD but from the reviews I read, it seemed like an important thing to get (+ride quality, +handling) even though it drives up future maintenance costs and costs a lot up front.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:02 AM

Delivery update - arrived at the dealer on 12/18 or 12/19. Taking delivery later today - 12/21.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycyao View Post
Wait, why does nearly every car feature post has to turn into a promotion for AD? Here is my take.

Get AD if you are the type of person that:

1. Loves curvy road more than straight line accelerations.
2. Loves more about technologies that makes a car drives better than the electronic gadgets that interface with you.

Don't get AD if you drive most of the time in straight line. The only difference you will feel is the suspension setup. You can get around that by getting 18" tires or 19". 18" gives you more air = more cushion over bumps.

It is that simple. I love the curves. I really don't care much for straight line accelerations as long as it gets me in freeway merging in reasonable speed. Some people like 0-60, that is why they get biggest engine out there to feel the accelerations.

On a side note, I tried sports seat and multi-contour seats. I like the standard seats. I can be comfortable for a very long time.
I disagree about your more air = more cushion with RFTs. The difference in ride with 18s and 19s on RFTs with standard suspension is moot. Add AD into the mix and it smooths things out.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:40 PM

Great experience at the dealer today. All went as planned and the car is as expected if not better. Super happy!

Old 12-21-2012, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: X5
I have driven the 2010 with 18 RTF and switched to non-RTF as the ride was a little rough with RTFs. Specially, in the back seat.

My primary reason for trading that in for 2012 35d was to get the AD, diesel, and multi-contour seats.

To test what difference AD would make - straight line or not, I conducted a small test. Before, I handed keys to the 2010 to the dealer, I drove both SAVs (old and new) on the same road. The drive characteristics were very different. AD has a huge advantage over the non. It is very apparent and my body thanked me and will continue to do so.

I do have to mention that I have neck and back issues. So, any ride quality change for the better/worse will be very noticeable to me.

I think it is worth the extra money. I wish I had not gotten the tech package as it is not worth the money.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:18 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrivederci View Post
Great experience at the dealer today. All went as planned and the car is as expected if not better.]
Nice! Looks about the same as our '11. I tinted the windows, added a clear bra and swapped out the front amber reflectors. Also installed an oem hitch.

Where did you find the winter wheels?
Old 12-21-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanCO View Post
Nice! Looks about the same as our '11. I tinted the windows, added a clear bra and swapped out the front amber reflectors. Also installed an oem hitch.

Where did you find the winter wheels?
I have plans for window tint and clear bra. Hadn't thought about reflectors...but I do have a blacked out grill that is going in soon.

I bought my wheels from originalwheels.com. They are a business with a guarantee (ie not ebay or craigslist) and I will hold them to it. Other people wanted too much for used rims without any kind of warranty. I looked them over carefully when they arrived and they seem like they are in great shape. The wife wants blacked out rims - so I will try plasti-dipping them next week after the tires are installed. The tires (OEM sized 19" Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow) arrive at a local shop next week. I was quoted cheaper than tire rack too. I bought tpms from tpmsdirect.com.

I won't need a hitch for at least 6 months, so we'll hold off for now. If I figure out the coding, I'll likely install an execuhitch and code it up myself. My wife wasn't too happy about the OEM cutout for the hitch so I need to find a cleaner option for her car (which is also my tow rig).

So that should be it for bank account damage. But this does make for one special x-mas!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1330270568_323267694_1-19Inch-BMW-X5-Wheels-Magalieskruin.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	354143  
Old 12-21-2012, 09:11 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrivederci View Post
I have plans for window tint and clear bra. Hadn't thought about reflectors...but I do have a blacked out grill that is going in soon.

I bought my wheels from originalwheels.com. They are a business with a guarantee (ie not ebay or craigslist) and I will hold them to it. Other people wanted too much for used rims without any kind of warranty. I looked them over carefully when they arrived and they seem like they are in great shape. The wife wants blacked out rims - so I will try plasti-dipping them next week after the tires are installed. The tires (OEM sized 19" Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow) arrive at a local shop next week. I was quoted cheaper than tire rack too. I bought tpms from tpmsdirect.com.

I won't need a hitch for at least 6 months, so we'll hold off for now. If I figure out the coding, I'll likely install an execuhitch and code it up myself. My wife wasn't too happy about the OEM cutout for the hitch so I need to find a cleaner option for her car (which is also my tow rig).

So that should be it for bank account damage. But this does make for one special x-mas!
Thanks for the info.

Ya, we also debated the hitch type for a number of months...

Let us now how the wheels come out.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:34 PM
OOO

Mein Auto: E90 335i
I've heard a lot of good things about the execuhitch. I did some coding for a guy in DC and he was showing me how it is fitted, etc. Looks really clean and probably one of the better options. Also you are correct, do not get it coded by the dealer because you can do it yourself.