Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-18-2012, 08:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 325i, 11 X5 35d
2003 BMW 325i E46 issues !

Got a 2003 BMW 325i with 199,000km with automatic transmission. I had this car for about two weeks now, and experiencing some problems:

1. In the morning especially, notice a thump, felt from the rear end of the car. when almost coming to a complete stop. I noticed it more in the morning than after the car is warmed up, and but is still sometimes there. Its really annoying. The car is shifting fine, and I don' feelt the thump from the back while driving. In the last few weeks, i had drivers side control arm replaced, and a missing bolt from the drivers side control arm. Also, got a differential fluid change, and got new springs in the back but the problem remains.

2. At certain times the on board computer screen and trip computer screen would go dim, at a stop sign and yesterday, while on the high way.

3. When the car is cold, when i push on the pedal, the car almost sounds like a SUV, and it goes away soon after. I had the engine light on for code P0128, I took it to my mechanic, he erased the code and told me if it came back to him. It hasn't come on since. So I assuming all is well.

Any help, especially with the first issue would greatly be helpful.
Thanks

Last edited by BMW318i_E36; 11-18-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-18-2012, 09:26 PM

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
I'm trying to figure out that 1st one myself.
Ofcourse not sure if it's same reason for mine and yours but same symptom.
Some sound which not quite sure about.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:37 PM

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
congrats on the new ride.
regarding point 2. it's most likely the battery is old. check the voltage, it should be reading 14V while running and around 12.5 while been sitting overnight. if it's lower than those numbers, u need a new battery. u can also check the date (not a very accurate cause) if it's older then 4 years, it's more likely it's on its way out, however some batteries last more then that.
if the battery checks out OK, ur alternator might have a bad diode.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Old 11-19-2012, 05:29 AM

I hate the first issue, and could the battery do this? Because once you Start the car, the alternator takes over, I hope it's not that though !
Old 11-19-2012, 06:41 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
1: check the rear diff bushing. A worn bushing is a common cause for the clunk you feel and hear when coming to a stop.

2: Check your battery.

3: p0128 is telling you that your thermostat is failing. Usually, they fail open, so you shouldn't overheat, but you should still replace it. Now would be the time to consider refreshing the entire cooling system.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"
Old 11-19-2012, 09:00 AM

The first problem, I was fearing because it's seems to be an expensive job. Does this car have other bushings in the back?
I will have the battery looked at, and I just actually had the fan + fan clutch, expansion tank and lower hose replaced, when I was getting other work done, so it set me back $1300.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: 328i, 330ci, R1200C
I just did the rear dif bushing on my 330CI. It was time consuming but I did it without removing the differential. Let me know if you want to know all the details on how I did it, since the bushing was very cheap....at Pelican Parts- $32 I believe. I used OEM Lemfoerder bushing. If you have an afternoon and don't mind turning a wrench you can do this, but it is a bear. I looked like a coal miner when I was done since I did not have a rivet gun to beat it out, I cut it out with a hole saw, then I beat out the bushing housing only with a 3lb sledge and a punch. I had tiny rubber pieces all over my face, like I crawled out of a coal mine...LOL

There are many other bushings in the back but the rear dif bushing and Rear Trailing Arm Bushings (RTABs) are typically the only that need replacing...even though I have seen some photos from cars up north that need all carrier bushings.

Search for Carrier Bushings, RTABs or rear dif bushing for more info.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:45 PM
Properly chastised re: Xi

Mein Auto: 2005 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW318i_E36 View Post
3. When the car is cold, when i push on the pedal, the car almost sounds like a SUV, and it goes away soon after.
I was going to say -- if it's loud, air-rushing noise, like a school bus or big truck -- the fan clutch is probably not disengaging when it should. Perhaps it starts to work normally after getting some hot air blown on it. Someone could tell me I'm wrong though?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numindast View Post
I was going to say -- if it's loud, air-rushing noise, like a school bus or big truck -- the fan clutch is probably not disengaging when it should. Perhaps it starts to work normally after getting some hot air blown on it. Someone could tell me I'm wrong though?
Yea, not sure. Went to the mechanic, he said the "thug" sound is a transmission software issue.
So I guess I will leave it at that, he checked the rear, and all is well. One thing that came to my attention is sometimes when I accelerate, the rpm guage still sticks to 2500rpm, and then after a while comes down.
One more issue is I am getting about 450km when the reserve light comes on. Been told I should get more as my friends 320i gets about 530km before his reserve light comes on, mixed driving.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:26 PM

Mein Auto: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW318i_E36 View Post
Got a 2003 BMW 325i with 199,000km with automatic transmission. I had this car for about two weeks now, and experiencing some problems:

1. In the morning especially, notice a thump, felt from the rear end of the car. when almost coming to a complete stop. I noticed it more in the morning than after the car is warmed up, and but is still sometimes there. Its really annoying. The car is shifting fine, and I don' feelt the thump from the back while driving. In the last few weeks, i had drivers side control arm replaced, and a missing bolt from the drivers side control arm. Also, got a differential fluid change, and got new springs in the back but the problem remains.

2. At certain times the on board computer screen and trip computer screen would go dim, at a stop sign and yesterday, while on the high way.

3. When the car is cold, when i push on the pedal, the car almost sounds like a SUV, and it goes away soon after. I had the engine light on for code P0128, I took it to my mechanic, he erased the code and told me if it came back to him. It hasn't come on since. So I assuming all is well.

Any help, especially with the first issue would greatly be helpful.
Thanks

Number 1 is requires updating the auto transmission software. Before the update, try the sport mode and brake while approaching a stop sign....if no soft thump, update the transmission software.

Cost me $ 150 to do it and the soft thump went away.

Last edited by dl1018; 11-21-2012 at 10:27 PM.