Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 04-12-2011, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 E83
2008 BMW Engine Knocking

So I have read many Threads about this and understand it is common and there is a new head design in late 08 that resolves the issue.

My background: I just purchased a early 08 X3, 44k miles, and it has the knocking noise, not all the time but sometimes.

My Question: I have a bit more warranty left and Im thinking of pursuing BMW for the new head and lifter design replacement under warranty.

Please give me your input on this!!

Is it worth it? We do not plan to purchase the extended warranty so is this knocking causing long term damage?

Will the head replacement open me up for other issues Im not aware of????

Thanks,
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpile View Post
So I have read many Threads about this and understand it is common and there is a new head design in late 08 that resolves the issue.

My background: I just purchased a early 08 X3, 44k miles, and it has the knocking noise, not all the time but sometimes.

My Question: I have a bit more warranty left and Im thinking of pursuing BMW for the new head and lifter design replacement under warranty.

Is it worth it? We do not plan to purchase the extended warranty so is this knocking causing long term damage?

Thanks,
Absolutely! I let them do the joke fix and it did not work. Once they replaced the heads/lifter the X3 accelerated better and I got better gas mileage. It's not just an annoying sound. It does impact performance. I have to look for it, but there is a TSB specifically for this and better hurry as they were back ordered on the part for me.

As far as gas mileage I have every receipt of every gas fill up and a spread sheet to track the differences so I could tell between winter mix and summer gas. And also in case BMW tried to pull the, "Its your gas" that is the problem bs on me again.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 04-13-2011, 05:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpile View Post

Thanks,
My wife's 2008 has 39,000 miles and I'm in the same boat. Sometimes the lifters are really loud and sometimes it sounds perfect. It has already been gone through the bleeding process once. I'm trying to decide whether to push of the new head and lifters before we hit 50k.

BMW CCA #422951

Old 04-13-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_macaroni View Post
My wife's 2008 has 39,000 miles and I'm in the same boat. Sometimes the lifters are really loud and sometimes it sounds perfect. It has already been gone through the bleeding process once. I'm trying to decide whether to push of the new head and lifters before we hit 50k.
Don't hesitate on this one. My SA was the one that pushed it through after I played a video with audio I recorded and sent via droid.

He stated that the reason my part was back ordered is that BMWNA has realized this for the problem it really is and is attempting to make good.

I think they are starting to feel the kickback from all the problems they have blamed on a variety of excuses. The HPFP, the GM AT, this, etc....

There is a reason Audi is creaming them in sales. Customer service approaches could be one of them.

Don't pay for it on your own. Get it done under warranty.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7

Last edited by Evlengr; 04-13-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Don't hesitate on this one. My SA was the one that pushed it through after I played a video with audio I recorded and sent via droid.

He stated that the reason my part was back ordered is that BMWNA has realized this for the problem it really is and is attempting to make good.

I think they are starting to feel the kickback from all the problems they have blamed on a variety of excuses. The HPFP, the GM AT, this, etc....

There is a reason Audi is creaming them in sales. Customer service approaches could be one of them.

Don't pay for it on your own. Get it done under warranty.
Thank you for the reassurance on this one. After I have been able to take a video of it making the loud clacking, I will pay my SA visit with the video sound clip in hand.

I plan on keeping this X3 for 5 more years and I really donít want to run into issues after Iím out of the warranty period.

BMW CCA #422951

Old 04-13-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_macaroni View Post
Thank you for the reassurance on this one. After I have been able to take a video of it making the loud clacking, I will pay my SA visit with the video sound clip in hand.

I plan on keeping this X3 for 5 more years and I really donít want to run into issues after Iím out of the warranty period.

You paid for all inclusive warranty when you bought this vehicle. Seems silly (no disrespect) to not use it to the fullest. Especially if you plan to use it long term.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 04-13-2011, 11:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
I've got a similar question. The original 4 year warranty on my '07 runs out in a month. I think my engine is running smoothly without the knocking noise, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm planning to bring it into the dealer in a couple of weeks for some final warranty work, so I'd like to know by then. I recorded the engine sound in .mp3 format and thought I'd post it here for comments, but I don't see any way to attach an .mp3 file here. Can anyone help?
Old 04-15-2011, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 E83
So, I took it to the dealer and they could hear the noise. They told me that they could only replace the HVA's, which is the Lifters, I guess.... They said they had only done two head replacements for this issue and the HVA's would fix the issue. I have read that after the lifter replacment that the noise sometimes comes back. I told them this and wanted to be reassured that if the noise comes back that they would repair even if the car is out of warranty. They told me that since I have reported this that it would be in the records and I would have a better case if this happens. I think I will also write BMW a letter to have at least another avenue to pursue.

Any ideas???

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2011, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
I have a 2008 with the same problem exhibited when cold. BUT--I changed the oil, and haven't had the issue. So I'm not pursuing it; my bumper to bumper just ran out, and all I hvae left is CPO. If it comes back, I'll record it.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:02 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Just curious - those with the issue, do you drive a lot? I believe there was mention before about short drives causing some issues such as this?

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 04-18-2011, 01:23 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUEng View Post
I have a 2008 with the same problem exhibited when cold. BUT--I changed the oil, and haven't had the issue. So I'm not pursuing it; my bumper to bumper just ran out, and all I hvae left is CPO. If it comes back, I'll record it.
At least the CPO covers you for 2 more years.

I am almost at 90k miles. I have a few months of driving left (maybe year end) before I hit 100k miles and am on my own!

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 04-18-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post
Just curious - those with the issue, do you drive a lot? I believe there was mention before about short drives causing some issues such as this?
In my case, it only occurs after short drives. On a typical weekday, the X3 only makes a 2 mile round trip to the local Metro station. So, I'm confident the short distances driven is the root of the problem.

Within the past week, it has gone on two 250 mile round trips and currently there is no noise present.

For us, the X3 has one and half more years of the 2 mile daily commute before I start driving it 70 miles a day for my commute. I need to make sure I have this issue addressed before the warranty expires in 10k miles. I want to avoid any future issues this might cause, especially when I'm planning on driving it 25k miles per year.

BMW CCA #422951

Old 09-28-2013, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 z4 3.0i bmw
Does anyone know if changing the hydraulic lift can solve the problem and if so do they have an upgraded hydraulic lift better then the factory lifts my 2008 BMW has been tapping a little and I want to correct the problem it is out of warranty. Thanks