Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:33 PM
GLLOQ

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 2.5i
seat surface problem

When I bought my 2001 Z3 in early July 2012, all the seat surfaces were clean and in good shape. I noticed, however, that the center panel in the driver's seat (the horizontal surface, not the back) was unusually hard and stiff. The other panels are supple and soft, no rips, no tears. I had thought the seats were leather covered, but this may be a plastic surface. Over the past months the stiff panel has cracked and torn. The tears are not in the area where I carry my keys, so they're not to blame. Has anyone else experienced this kind of damage?

I cover the damaged area with a fitted sheepskin insert, but I find this very curious.

Advertisement
Old 11-18-2012, 06:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster
It sort of looks like someone has replaced those panels witn vinyl.

My seat leather certainly got stiff before I replaced it, but it was nothing like that.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: cars--many!
Looks just like mine.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 3.0 Z-3 ROADSTER
seats

Maybe it is due to all the years of sitting on the seat....perspiration from your body will often transfer from your body to the seat making it stiff. You might consider looking at products offered from Leather Z. I use them and they work for me. They do have products to fill in cracks, but I do not know if it will be applicable to vinyl...assuming that's what the seat panel is made from??

Last edited by morrieschoice; 11-20-2012 at 06:04 PM.