Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:24 AM
06 BMW 650i Sprt/Prem Pkg

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i e64
Battery Tender...

Ok, I have a Battery Tender coming in the mail tomorrow.
I'm having a problem with the car battery staying charged enough to start the car as I don't drive her much anymore since Ive moved back to Colorado and its winter. I have had to jump it a couple of times and although after leaving it running to charge the battery its not enough to keep it up.
So my question is do I have to disconnect the battery completely while its on the tender or can I leave it hooked up? Im worried about the cars electronics.
I bought a kind that charges the battery and then maintains it. Its a kind that hooks up directly to the battery. I viewed others that are connected thru the cigarette lighter (I did not purchase that kind) which led me to think that I can leave the battery hooked up to the car.
Any suggestions?

2006 BMW 650i Sport/Premium Package
+ Various Mods & Upgrades
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2017, 07:26 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: BMW 640i SE Convertible
If you purchased a Ctek charger then it will be fine to leave trickle charging. You can connect to it in one ore two ways. I personally connected the leads that come with the Ctek and hardwired them to the positive of the battery and the ground on the boot floor where the battery was grounded. Then you just plug in the Ctek very easy!
The other way is again hard wire to the terminal in the engine bay used for jump starting with the ground to the bodywork, again very easy then just connect the Ctek.
This method has no impact on the cars electronics, I have used both methods for years on different cars.
What you do not do is connect directly across the battery and do not disconnect the battery from the car!!!
Some will comment on air flow around the battery due to fumes when charging??
One of my very early threads has pictures of the installation.
I have done the same thing on my new 6 series but done it in the engine bay!!!

Always said I would go back to a 6 series

Last edited by 645/333; 01-06-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:55 AM

Thanks for the info

I purchased the MotoCentric MC750 12V Battery Smart Tender Charger Maintainer

Old 01-06-2017, 09:24 AM
Michael

this is a pic of my arrangement when I had my E63 645Ci!
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=522579

Last edited by 645/333; 01-06-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Jeep, 1 Vespa
I've kept many cars on battery tenders over the years, I actually have three cars put away for the winter in three different locations and hooked to tenders at the moment, and I've never disconnected the battery.

Good thing you did not buy the cigarette lighter kind. Older BMW's could utilize that method which is actually really practical, but once they went to iDrive models that party was over. I've always used the terminals under the hood, never hooked direct to battery, no issues.

I can't comment about the model you bought but I'm sure it's fine. I have two older BMW rebranded Deltran units (one cig lighter for the E46, the other clip kind for the 650 or X5), the newest tender is a CTEK which maintains the 4 series. The CTEK has a handful of modes, including one for actual charging and one for maintenance. I believe BMW has also switched to CTEK.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
I purchased a CTEK charger around a year ago. I have found when a battery is real weak, the CTEK will not always bring it back to a full charge. If I use my Harbor Freight charger, it will bring it back to a full charge. I then use the CTEK as a maintenance charger when the battery is good & strong. I have also found that my battery that I got from O'reilly's, does not hold a charge as long as the Exide battery.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 645ci
somewhere in this forum I read to only charge from the terminal in the engine compartment. I can't find the post right now but I remember that there was also a good explanation why to charge from the terminal in the engine compartment.

20" wheels 245/35 - 285/30, black grill and blacked out side markers, 10W white LED angel eyes, Eibach lowering springs on Bilstein shocks,
AC Schnitzer pedals, Sprint Booster (what a waste of money), electronic exhaust cut-outs, red brake calipers (painted)
AFE air intake, door laser BMW logo projector lights, CSR front lip with carbon accents, carbon side skirts
Old 01-07-2017, 08:56 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: 2012 Feb 11 X5 35d (E70)
So that the IBS can see the charge.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:17 AM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymetzger View Post
somewhere in this forum I read to only charge from the terminal in the engine compartment. I can't find the post right now but I remember that there was also a good explanation why to charge from the terminal in the engine compartment.
The cable that goes to the +ve charging point under the bonnet basically goes directly to the battery +ve, in the boot, Checked on the WDS, it might have a couple of feeds coming off it for the starter etc. It does not matter if you do it in the engine compartment or the boot it is the same process, Using the Ctek leads are quite slim so you can lock the bonnet or the boot whilst charging. At the end of the day I think you choose the place which best suits circumstances.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:04 AM

I'm tempted to go directly to the battery in the trunk only because of ease.
The car is garaged and the charger comes with detachable leads so all I have to do is disconnect and close the trunk when I take her out for a little workout.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: '07 650i, '98 M3
How long can a battery be disconnected before it starts to go bad? I've been working on my car for more than a week with the battery disconnected. This post made me wonder if I should get a tender.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: M6, 630i, 320iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by coug60 View Post
I'm tempted to go directly to the battery in the trunk only because of ease.
The car is garaged and the charger comes with detachable leads so all I have to do is disconnect and close the trunk when I take her out for a little workout.
Put the positive cable from the CTEK to the positive terminal and the negative one fits perfectly under the long bolt that holds the battery in place.
2007 e63 M6

Previous Cars: 2002 e39 525iA Sport, 1994 e36 318i, 1990 e34 520i, 1989 e30 325i, 1986 e30 316
Old 01-07-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Five-O View Post
How long can a battery be disconnected before it starts to go bad? I've been working on my car for more than a week with the battery disconnected. This post made me wonder if I should get a tender.
A week should be fine but who knows?

Having battery woes of my own. Went to start the Jeep after it sat outside in mostly mild northern CA weather for a little over three weeks and got nothing. Even radio display was dead. Battery just hit three year mark so it's just a couple of weeks past warranty period. GRRR... Jumped it with the X5 and it seems to be back in business. Would like to hook it up for a charge but the thing has bike racks on top so it's too tall to pull into the garage and thanks to condo living there is nowhere to park it adjacent to garage to hook it up with extension cord. I think I'm buying a new battery...

Old 01-07-2017, 03:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 650i Convertible
Battery unconnected can last a long time, it's when it's hooked up and not driven that will slowly drain it.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:22 PM

The battery charging should be done at the jump terminal so that the IBS can regulate the voltage per BMW. I have charged mine both ways without a problem, but charging the battery from under the hood is more convenient. You could install the CTEK wiring to the jump terminal without a problem. The bad thing about charging under the hood is, sometimes the wife will take off without noticing the battery charger is hooked up! The good thing is the plug will come undone to keep the charger from going down the road!
Old 01-08-2017, 11:02 PM

I hooked up my charger directly to the battery terminals in the trunk (battery not disconnected) and my tender would not charge it.
But when I hooked it up under the hood to the pos bat jumper terminal and a bolt on the shock strut mount it went right into the charge mode.........?

Old 01-09-2017, 01:19 AM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by coug60 View Post
I hooked up my charger directly to the battery terminals in the trunk (battery not disconnected) and my tender would not charge it.
But when I hooked it up under the hood to the pos bat jumper terminal and a bolt on the shock strut mount it went right into the charge mode.........?
That is because you never put a charger directly across a connected battery, if you had of connected to the pos+ of the battery terminal and the -'ve to the ground on the car body even where it attaches to the body of the car it would have worked. For future help if you ever jump start a car never put the leads directly across the battery , actually could explain more but you will need to research yourself as I think you need to improve your knowledge, not having a go just advice as you made a basic error.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:11 PM

In order to prevent malfunctions on the intelligent battery sensor (IBS), the charging terminals in the engine compartment must be used without fail on vehicles with IBS (from E60). On other vehicles, we recommend the charging terminals in the engine compartment are used.

Before charging the battery while it is installed, first carry out a closed-circuit current test. If here the voltage is 10 V or less, one or more of the cells may be faulty or the entire battery may already be damaged. In this case, always remove the battery as escaping gases during charging could damage the interior equipment and trim. Attempt to regenerate faulty cells with low charging current.

If necessary, open existing seal plugs on the individual cells.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:15 PM

Somebody on E70 side posted this info. I thought it was pertinent to this thread and confirms charging should be done via jump terminals and not direct on battery.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app

Old 01-15-2017, 06:42 PM

A lot of info...
I went to a permanent install at the battery itself, the charger comes with quick disconnects so I can make a permanent connection at the battery lugs. That way I can put the covers on and just trip the trunk and hook up.
The charger went into the charge mode, and then the storage mode after a couple of days.
All seems to be working fine. Battery is at ambient temp and seems to be no problems (hot/warm case, no bulging or obvious defects).
Going to give it a go

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search