Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 11-20-2012, 07:54 AM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
possible F31 diesel "sportwagon" for 2013

Methinks this is the "sportwagon" 'd that BMW will be bringing to N America next year (note that all mpg are going to be using the Imperial gallon, so divide by 1.2 for mpUSg):
Quote:
BMW 330d Touring – report, week 3: the Wrynose Pass challenge

19 November 2012 by Paul Clarke

Eco Facts
Model/Engine size: 330d Touring Luxury
Fuel: Diesel
Fuel economy combined: 55.4mpg

This week our BMW 330d Touring provided family transport for a trip to the Lake District – how did it cope in an environment where an SUV is often the preferred mode of conveyance?

The first test was to see if the new 3 Series Touring really is as practical as the BMW marketing department claims. They say that the luggage capacity of the new Touring is larger than that of the last model, and it's now best in class, beating both the Audi A4 Avant and the Mercedes C-Class – albeit by just 5 litres.

Thankfully, a family's worth of baggage for a weekend in the Lakes fitted in the car. However the boot was piled high from the floor to the roof. This amount of baggage would not have fitted in a 3 Series saloon, which proves one of the theories that we wanted to test – that the Touring is a far more sensible choice than the Saloon for the typical family.

Test number two was to see how economical the 330d could be when fully laden on a reasonably long journey to the Lake District. The result was that at motorway speeds it averaged 46.5mpg. This is somewhat short of its official average of 55.4mpg, but as we've seen, it is possible to extract 60mpg with careful driving. There aren't many other estates with a 0-62mph time of 5.6 seconds and a top speed of 155mph that can realistically achieve 50mpg on a long drive.

The BMW 330d driven in damp, cold and frost roads
Test number three was the main challenge. I've been motoring around the Lakes for over 25 years, and have driven up the Wrynose Pass probably around 100 times over that period, in more cars than it's possible to mention. There are two key characteristics that are always evident with cars that are driven up the Wrynose Pass – their torque curve and their gearing. Over the years many cars have almost spluttered to a halt from a complete lack of torque when changing from first to second gear on one of the steep sections. This is equally applicable to cars with a manual or automatic gearbox; whatever the car, most have a point when changing gear coincides with a lack of torque, and this can result in frustrating progress up the pass.

Not so with the 330d. This was the first car that I've ever driven up the Wrynose Pass that always seemed to be in the right gear, with sufficient torque available at all times. And it was left in auto for the entire climb. For many years I've had a hatred for automatic gearboxes, especially in areas such as the Lake District. They never seem to be in the right gear, either going up or down hills. In recent years I've invariably overridden the auto mode with manual shifts, which usually improves the situation, but it's no match for a manual 'box. However there was never any need to drive the 330d manually, despite steep ascents and descents, all of which were combined with bends. The car always seemed to be in the right gear at the right time, providing the required levels of response and control.

The road was also damp and cold, with frost in occasional places, and the 330d didn't have winter tyres fitted. A front-wheel drive car would have had its wheels spinning for most of the climb, resulting in the driver having a continual fight with the steering wheel and with traction. Logic would suggest that a four-wheel drive car would be the transport of choice. However the rear-wheel drive 330d made completely effortless and comfortable progress to the top of the pass. Select Sport+ mode and you can even get the rear end to help steer you round the tight corners.

Did the 330d feel compromised in any way because it was an estate? No. Did it feel out of its comfort zone in the mountains because one of its main design briefs is to be an effective company car? No. The 330d passes another test – the outdoor leisure challenge - with flying colours.

Last week we reported that the 330d's clock remained an hour ahead of the rest of the country and we couldn't change it. This week we tried again. Following advice from BMW we pressed the buttons for longer and we were eventually successful in managing to change the time, confirming that, as suspected, the problem was user error.

However our experience in the Lakes did highlight one other issue that we don't like – and we've been through all the menus and we can't see a way to change it. When you reverse, the passenger side door mirror automatically angles down to the floor. When you're reversing at reasonable speeds down single car-width country lanes in the Lakes to find a passing place, because the driver coming around the corner towards you is incapable of reversing, you want both mirrors to show you the verge, hedge or wall, and any vehicles that are behind. Showing the tarmac under the rear wheel is no use. Of course it's not just this 330d or even just BMWs that do this, but we'd prefer it if the mirror stayed in its normal position. The driver can always angle it down manually on the few occasions where this is safer.

Next week we move from the steep and narrow roads of the Lake District to the fast, winding roads of North Wales for a very special back-to-back test…. check back in a week's time….
link with pics
Ads by Google
Old 11-20-2012, 08:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335d M Sport/Premium Pkg
Very sweet machine, I'd take it with 6spd manual option as shown in the picture below, I was at the BMW Welt mid October and baby was available to rent for an hour for 45 Euros.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...92785076088194

Last edited by DZLMAN; 11-20-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:17 AM
diesel evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZLMAN View Post
Very sweet machine, I'd take it with 6spd manual option as shown in the picture below, I was at the BMW Welt mid October and baby was available to rent for an hour for 45 Euros.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...92785076088194
Your picture did not show up, but I believe the F31 330d is only available with the 8 spd auto.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
Your picture did not show up, but I believe the F31 330d is only available with the 8 spd auto.
Check again I just added the link instead..... I should've taken interior picture, this one was stick 6spd for sure, perhaps only for Europe ? There's few other exterior pictures as well.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:42 AM
diesel evangelist

Quote:
Check again I just added the link instead..... I should've taken interior picture, this one was stick 6spd for sure, perhaps only for Europe ? There's few other exterior pictures as well.
Nice pics! I was in Munich just a week before you. Did you go to the Oktoberfest?

Neither UK nor German BMW sites show the 330d available with a manual trans. The original press releases on the car only mention the 8spd auto for the 330d touring and sedan.

Did you see 3 pedals?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: German
It better have AWD.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:12 AM
diesel evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
It better have AWD.
Right now the bmw.com site doesn't show any 3er tourings with xDrive and only one 3er 'd sedan offering xDrive: 320d.

Seems like they will most likely stick with SAVs and AWD for their N America offerings.

Last edited by d geek; 11-20-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
nice trip amigo God bless you and yuor family I want to do the same in the next 8 yrs when i buy my next BMW I will do the trip to Europe with my sons n daughters
Old 11-20-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel61 View Post
nice trip amigo God bless you and yuor family I want to do the same in the next 8 yrs when i buy my next BMW I will do the trip to Europe with my sons n daughters
Thanks dude, yeah it was short but fun!!!
Old 11-20-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
Nice pics! I was in Munich just a week before you. Did you go to the Oktoberfest?

Neither UK nor German BMW sites show the 330d available with a manual trans. The original press releases on the car only mention the 8spd auto for the 330d touring and sedan.

Did you see 3 pedals?
I should've paid more attention, I guess the excitement of assuming/imagining a 330d manual forced me to believe it was manual, hahaha.

No, I had to skip Oktoberfest, had 9 days to drive through 7 countries so was mostly on the road. Had requested 5er d but ended up getting a 2013 X5 35d. It was good at Autobahn speeds, I was impressed handling wise from this SUV!
Old 11-20-2012, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: 09 135i
Quote:
However our experience in the Lakes did highlight one other issue that we don’t like – and we’ve been through all the menus and we can’t see a way to change it. When you reverse, the passenger side door mirror automatically angles down to the floor. When you’re reversing at reasonable speeds down single car-width country lanes in the Lakes to find a passing place, because the driver coming around the corner towards you is incapable of reversing, you want both mirrors to show you the verge, hedge or wall, and any vehicles that are behind. Showing the tarmac under the rear wheel is no use. Of course it’s not just this 330d or even just BMWs that do this, but we’d prefer it if the mirror stayed in its normal position. The driver can always angle it down manually on the few occasions where this is safer.
Did it not have the side mirror left/right switch that stops this from happening?
Old 11-20-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Did it not have the side mirror left/right switch that stops this from happening?
It should. Like ours has it..........but not sure.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: 09 135i
Quote:
It should. Like ours has it..........but not sure.
Yeah, just a little confusing, like this is something new with BMW...
Old 11-20-2012, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: 335D
See if those Jetta TDI Wagon haters put there money where their mouth is.

Sent from my MB525 using Bimmer App