Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Old 04-12-2013, 02:07 AM
BMW Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2004 745LI
Exclamation ****Replacing Spark Plugs DIY 10 STEPS****PICTURES FOR DUMMIES

Spark plug DIY

Tools needed:

Torx T30

Torx T25

Spark plug socket (preferable with Magnetic Center)

10mm extended socket

2 3/8 drive extensions

Optional:
Socket Flexible Socket Adapter

Parts Needed:
8 new NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs 6418

Dielectric Tune-Up Grease

Spark Plug Anti-Seize

Procedure:
1.- Remove the plastic guard on the right side, remove the 2 plastic clips.

2.- Using the T25 Torx screwdriver remove the four screws that hold the plastic radiator fan.

3.-Next, Using the T30 Torx remove the 4 screws of the engine cover .

4.-The next part that comes off is the “BMW” side covers. They will just pull straight out. They are held by 2 plastic clips. No tools are needed for removal.

5.-Some people don’t remove the Steering Fluid Tank, but I just did it to gain more access, simple removing 2 hex screw nuts….

6.-Remove the T clip or brace holding the coils, I used a Star Socket.
Now you will be looking at the coils on the spark plugs.

7.-Lift the harness clip to release the connector.
The coils should be removed one at a time. I started at the front and worked my way back to the firewall.
Some of these are difficult to remove and will require some serious pulling. Rotate them back and forth to loosen the coils. Do not use any tools to pry the coils out. You do not want to break the harness clip.

The rear plugs (closest to the firewall) are a serious problem because the small space, here is when you need the optional Socket Flexible Socket Adapter (I really recommend to get it) if you don’t have it uses 2 of the 3mm extension sockets because 3mm is too small or 7mm is to large.

8.-Be sure to apply anti-seize on the threads and some dielectric grease on the tip before installing the new spark plugs.

9.-Push on the coil and be sure it “pops” back on. It will kind of click when it is on all the way. Clip on the harness and connector.

10.-Be sure to start the car before putting the covers back on the engine just to make sure there’s no misfires or problem with any cylinders. If you have a warning in the dashboard something is wrong, loose coil or connector.
Here is a diagram of the firing order just in case the OBD II tells that you are having a misfire on an specific cylinder…

And pretty much is everything I hope this guide can help you guys to save a at least $300 lol

Thank you
Punisher745Li

Advertisement
Old 06-08-2013, 02:27 PM

Mein Auto: 07 Alpina
Hey everyone I'm new to the forum. I have an 07 Alpina. Punisher I just wanted to thank you for saving me about $300. I just changed my plugs last night. I had a few different tools. I don't have that bending extension but I've got a bunch of small extensions and swivel joints I used. I use electrical tape on the joints to make sure I don't drop anything in the engine bay. Out of all the plug changes I've done, this has to be the easiest ever. I didn't think the plugs by the fire wall were that bad. You just have to get them out at the right angle. Be patient. A little force applied but not much. I'm at 100K mileage. Thanks for the write up.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: hopefully 745i
Did you notice any difference with the spark plug change? My car has ~136k miles and feels and sounds rough lately.

I'm thinking it's the plugs or wires. Did you guys do the wires too?
Old 07-09-2013, 11:06 AM
BMW Enthusiast

Re: ****Replacing Spark Plugs DIY 10 STEPS****PICTURES FOR DUMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will123 View Post
Hey everyone I'm new to the forum. I have an 07 Alpina. Punisher I just wanted to thank you for saving me about $300. I just changed my plugs last night. I had a few different tools. I don't have that bending extension but I've got a bunch of small extensions and swivel joints I used. I use electrical tape on the joints to make sure I don't drop anything in the engine bay. Out of all the plug changes I've done, this has to be the easiest ever. I didn't think the plugs by the fire wall were that bad. You just have to get them out at the right angle. Be patient. A little force applied but not much. I'm at 100K mileage. Thanks for the write up.
I'm glad everything worked out great!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using BimmerApp mobile app

Old 07-09-2013, 11:10 AM
BMW Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaz007 View Post
Did you notice any difference with the spark plug change? My car has ~136k miles and feels and sounds rough lately.

Of course there's a big difference, you should do it, and our cars use coils not wires.
Another thing you should check every year is the CCV valves, those aren't expensive and when the valves are broken you have a vacuum leak, making your car acceleration rough..

Old 07-09-2013, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: 07 Alpina
Quote:

I noticed a difference but the plugs i pulled weren't in to bad a condition for the miles. There aren't plug wires to replace.
Just make sure the new ones are gaped properly
Old 07-09-2013, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: hopefully 745i
Thanks for the tip, bought 2 new PCV valves and will be doing plugs soon!
Old 07-12-2013, 01:36 AM
BMW Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, bought 2 new PCV valves and will be doing plugs soon!
Best investment. .. good luck!

Old 08-30-2013, 11:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 750i
Thank you Punisher745Li for the great instructions!

I also checked out Keif's videos (link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2810754...7622428087916/) and between the two of these posts, this project is a no-brainer for the rest of us.

A couple notes to add:

1. The procedure outlined by Punisher745Li and Keif is applicable to 745, 750 and 760 models in the E65 / E66 series. While they're different cars in several ways and the pictures may not look exactly like your model depending on which ones you're looking at, in the end its mostly the same.

2. This project is not as difficult as some other threads online would make you think. It's a straight-forward project for a regular DIYer when you follow the advice given.

3. Given that the space is tight, both Punisher745Li and Keif gave great advice about tool usage to navigate the tight spaces. I ultimately ended up with a plug socket duct-taped to a 3" wobble extension and then used another 3" extension. The wobble down low worked out great for clearance after the second extension was added and helped make room for the ratchet and even a size adapter when I torqued the new plugs.

4. The wobble has a loose grip, so the duct tape ensured it would not separate from the plug socket (see below). Make sure you tape it up in wobble mode and not full in - otherwise you may lose the wobble capability. I'd use the tape even without a wobble - getting a tool out of that plug shaft is a real pain in the ... I also tied some string around the second 3" after I dropped it once to the bottom pan. You do not want to deal with that - it's a colossal waste of time. You're going to be in or out sixteen times with this and a drop is within the odds. Get your mind out of the gutter and tie and tape a string to it.

5. I used NGK Laser Iridium Plugs ( IZFR6H11 - 4294 ) in my 2007 750i E65. I applied dielectric grease to the inner lining of the plug sleeve, and on the plug ceramic but not the conductive tip. I also used a thin layer of anti-seize on the plug threads. There's lots of opinions on both of these procedures and I'll leave it up to those more knowledgeable than me to debate.

- Fletch

P.S. Be sure to protect the environment by checking your fluorocarbon output at 95mph, prepare the Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and gauze pads, and always have chewing gum - it filters out the pollutants.

Last edited by Fletch12; 08-31-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:20 AM
BMW Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch12 View Post
Thank you Punisher745Li for the great instructions!

I also checked out Keif's videos (link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2810754...7622428087916/) and between the two of these posts, this project is a no-brainer for the rest of us.

A couple notes to add:

1. The procedure outlined by Punisher745Li and Keif is applicable to 745, 750 and 760 models in the E65 / E66 series. While they're different cars in several ways and the pictures may not look exactly like your model depending on which ones you're looking at, in the end its mostly the same.

2. This project is not as difficult as some other threads online would make you think. It's a straight-forward project for a regular DIYer when you follow the advice given.

3. Given that the space is tight, both Punisher745Li and Keif gave great advice about tool usage to navigate the tight spaces. I ultimately ended up with a plug socket duct-taped to a 3" wobble extension and then used another 3" extension. The wobble down low worked out great for clearance after the second extension was added and helped make room for the ratchet and even a size adapter when I torqued the new plugs.

4. The wobble has a loose grip, so the duct tape ensured it would not separate from the plug socket (see below). Make sure you tape it up in wobble mode and not full in - otherwise you may lose the wobble capability. I'd use the tape even without a wobble - getting a tool out of that plug shaft is a real pain in the ... I also tied some string around the second 3" after I dropped it once to the bottom pan. You do not want to deal with that - it's a colossal waste of time. You're going to be in or out sixteen times with this and a drop is within the odds. Get your mind out of the gutter and tie and tape a string to it.

5. I used NGK Laser Iridium Plugs ( IZFR6H11 - 4294 ) in my 2007 750i E65. I applied dielectric grease to the inner lining of the plug sleeve, and on the plug ceramic but not the conductive tip. I also used a thin layer of anti-seize on the plug threads. There's lots of opinions on both of these procedures and I'll leave it up to those more knowledgeable than me to debate.

- Fletch

P.S. Be sure to protect the environment by checking your fluorocarbon output at 95mph, prepare the Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and gauze pads, and always have chewing gum - it filters out the pollutants.

+1

Old 03-09-2014, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750LI Sterling
Just changed the plugs today. Thanks for the post. Very helpful. Because of this post my job went much smoother than it may have.

Last edited by jaysong; 03-09-2014 at 08:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-10-2014, 10:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 760Li
Great DIY! Sorry to be a sour puss but this DIY won't work 100% on the 760, the intake manifold needs to be removed and new gaskets need to be used to access the spark plugs. Happy motoring to you DIY guys

2013 TL Advance 3.5L

2006 BMW 760Li - Alpine White/Ebony-Ivory Two Tone

2010 Honda Accord EX - Basque Red/Ivory
lOE Fog Lightsl

2007 MDX Sport/Ent.- NGM/Taupe
lRB Slotted RotorslRoof RailslFront & Rear GarnishlAuto Mirrorl

2004 TL NAVI Auto - SSM/Quartz
lComptech SwaybarlHacked NavlTVNAV2GolUSA-SPEClDVD PlayerlSwitchblade KeylRB Slotted RotorslA-Spec Brakesl
Old 09-23-2014, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 745li, 2007 750li
Thanks for the DIY and everyone's input. I was able to change my plugs on my 2005 745Li and my 2007 750Li. I would like to give some input to help others out there in the future.

1. A flexible extension is worth it. You don't want to unscrew the plug while bending the extension too much because it can get ruined. Therefore try removing the plug while holding the flexible extension in the straightest way possible if not it bends and gets ruined that way.

2. The 2007 750Li was very easy to change plugs. Only removed the steering fluid tank to the side as mentioned in this post. I have pretty big hands and was able to remove all the ignition coils and spark plugs just fine without removing other components.

3. 2005 745li was a bit more work due to removing the radiator top covers. And also needed to have room and unscrewing the ac lines and the positive battery connector plate.

4. Do not get frustrated. If using the flexible extension and you cannot remove the spark plug. Just get 2 of the short extensions and either tape one to the spark plug magnetized socket and also a string taped to the socket is a good idea.

5. I would recommend buying a ODBII Bluetooth reader. When I changed my plugs on the 745 I started it and it was misfiring and had check engine come up. I ran it with my phone application and it gave me cylinder 8 misfire. All I did was turn off vehicle, remove coil and reinsert to make sure I heard the click and connected it. Turned on the engine and worked beautiful. Had to clear the code though just to not have the check engine.
This tool can save you time trying to figure out which one was the fault instead of driving your car to auto zone or other car parts place.

6. If you have the money to also replace the ignition coils then do it. It may not be necessary depending on how they look. I only changed them on my 745 since its my wife's car and need it running at 100% all the time. The Bosch ignition coils ran me $195 on eBay. Which is not bad compared to dealer price ($580).
I did not replace ignition coils on my 750li and they were good. Probably didn't need to replace on my wife's 745li either but is good to have them changed. I have the 8 in the garage just to have spares in case.

After all the job was pretty easy and def saves us a pretty good chunk of change. Thanks to everyone here.
I posted some pics of my 2005 745li old spark plugs. They were def bad. Had to change cause I didn't know if the previous owner changed them or not. We all can see the answer to that. I changed and vehicle starts faster ( also changed fuel filter). Whole job took me about 1 hour to 1 and a half. Thanks and cheers.

Change your spark plugs. Easy job people! Also your fuel filter while your at it! Done in 15-20 mins!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by popz915; 09-23-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 750i
Just wanted to thank everyone in this post for thier advice. I did this on Sunday afternoon and it took me about an hour and a half on my 2008 750i. Procudure is nearly the same as described above but perhaps has a little more wiggle roonm in the engine compartment. Best tip I can give is to go down to autozone and buy the OEM/3/8 in. drive 5/8 in. magnetic spark plug socket extension. Best 14.99$ I have ever spent! Hardest part was removing the coil on the drivers side closest to firewall and passenger side 2nd to last coil from the firewall. I used the NGK IX Iridium plugs from autozone at 6.99$ each. At 86k miles, the plugs that came out looked pretty bad but not horrible. Everything went back together perfectly and I made sure the coil boots and connectors had dielectric on them and I got an audible pop or click when they seated. Overall an easy DIY with the right tools and the guide above. I did move the PS resevoir on the drivers side for extra clearance. Everythign worked perfectly on first startup and the car is smoother and has a quicker response. True test will be on a roadtrip ina couple weeks to see how the gas mileage improved as it used to get 26+ on the highway and dropped to 23. Hopefully that improves back to its old numbers. Thanks again everyone. -scrh1
Old 12-08-2014, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750LI Sterling
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrh1 View Post
J it used to get 26+ on the highway and dropped to 23. Hopefully that improves back to its old numbers. Thanks again everyone. -scrh1

I only get between 21 -22mpg on my '06 750Li. I usually keep it under 100 even on the interstate.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 750i
anyway to re-upload the pics? Attempting to follow this now, but kind of hard without the pics

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY
Today's Posts Search