Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 11-19-2012, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: 89 325i
Looking for S52 short block!

Anyone know where i can get my hands on one? I wanna swap my E30 =)
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2012, 08:36 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
why just a shortblock?? have the head and such already?? otherwise i'd probably look for a donor car. but i'd check the want ads and see who's parting out near you. it always seems to be full of cali cars when i am looking.

df
Old 11-20-2012, 07:18 PM

I already have a head that i hand ported and flowbenched. The motors gonna be pretty decently built. Im going with a fully forged rotating assembly. Its gonna be a near future swap for my E30. My M20 is gettin tired... lol
Old 11-20-2012, 07:20 PM

pics or ban...

df
Old 11-20-2012, 07:31 PM

Head is at school, Im waiting on the new valve guides. And dont worry theres going to be a plethora of pictures when I get started =)
Old 11-20-2012, 07:40 PM

more interested in how you ported and flowbenched the head, really...as i understand this sort of thing, it's very easy to do more harm than good. the heads are pretty well free flowing as it is, so taking too much material is a gamble sometimes.

besides, it's not like the days of yore (when ken was a wee tike) and the castings were rather poor. todays castings are pretty well clean and usually the benefit of massaging to the ports is offset by the related expense to do so.

then there's a 'race spec' port for heads, which basically relegates the motor to track use as the benefitial flow happens at higher rpm.

regrdless, looking forward to it.

df
Old 12-03-2012, 11:12 AM

It didnt need much. Just some simple bowl blending and port matching my intake and exhaust runners to the gaskets. Just a little personal touch if you know what i mean...
Old 12-03-2012, 11:15 AM

even some of the best castings can have stress risers and places where heat can build up ya know. I wish I had unlimited rescources so I can experiment with the quench pads and valve shrouding and such but I dont wanna grind into a coolant passage, that would be bad news bears...