Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Ask-A-Dealer

Ask-A-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors. Get all of your buying/financing/leasing questions answered here!

Old 11-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i & x3
Moving to California New Car Questions

I have a few questions for our dealer friends in SoCal.

The background is that I currently live in Texas but will be starting a new job near LA next week and will commute there until after the holidays when the family will join me and we will begin to setup permanent residence there. We want to do the new lease in CA as that is where we will be for the future and the leases are better with the tax situation there. We will also be doing another ED for something in June next year so will ultimately be a 2 BMW customer every 2-3 years in CA too.

We have a 2010 X5 35d up in March and have thought about going with the pull ahead to get something under the current incentives. Right now we are thinking the 50i would be our only option as a new 35d would most likely not make it in time before the incentives expire. Still need to decide which one but if we choose the 35d, it would cause us to wait until the lease expires anyway.

So here are my questions:
  • Where do we have to turn-in our current lease when we do a pull ahead? Can we turn it in in TX even if our purchase is in CA and the car is registered and titled there?
  • Where do we have to take delivery of the car purchased through CA? Can that also be in TX or does it have to be CA? If it has to be CA, could we do a PCD before the first of the year and run the transaction through CA with pickup in SC?
  • What allows us to call this a CA transaction? Does it have anything to do with a permanent residence or just where the car is registered and titled?

We want to have the X5 in Dallas until the family comes out some time after the first of the year but do not want to have to drive back and forth to LA for turn-in or delivery of the new one so thus all of the questions. A drive back from SC would be OK as we could then just use it in TX until we have our final drive to CA.

Thanks for the help.
Retired
2007 335i Sedan Space Grey ED 05/07
2007 X3 3.0si Monaco Blue
2004 X3 3.0 Silver Gray
2004 330Ci Silver Gray
2002 325Ci TiAg
2002 325i TiAg
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2012, 09:18 PM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
[QUOTE=bmrfam;7204290]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrfam View Post
[*]Where do we have to turn-in our current lease when we do a pull ahead? Can we turn it in in TX even if our purchase is in CA and the car is registered and titled there?
. You can return a lease to any BMW dealership.

Quote:
[*]Where do we have to take delivery of the car purchased through CA? Can that also be in TX or does it have to be CA? If it has to be CA, could we do a PCD before the first of the year and run the transaction through CA with pickup in SC?
. I am in your same boat and leased through a CA dealer and picking up in PCD.

Quote:
[*]What allows us to call this a CA transaction? Does it have anything to do with a permanent residence or just where the car is registered and titled?
. You will need to provide an address in CA in order to register it.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:30 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: MY13 X5 50i
Quote:
I have a few questions for our dealer friends in SoCal.

The background is that I currently live in Texas but will be starting a new job near LA next week and will commute there until after the holidays when the family will join me and we will begin to setup permanent residence there. We want to do the new lease in CA as that is where we will be for the future and the leases are better with the tax situation there. We will also be doing another ED for something in June next year so will ultimately be a 2 BMW customer every 2-3 years in CA too.

We have a 2010 X5 35d up in March and have thought about going with the pull ahead to get something under the current incentives. Right now we are thinking the 50i would be our only option as a new 35d would most likely not make it in time before the incentives expire. Still need to decide which one but if we choose the 35d, it would cause us to wait until the lease expires anyway.

• Where do we have to turn-in our current lease when we do a pull ahead? Can we turn it in in TX even if our purchase is in CA and the car is registered and titled there?
  • Where do we have to take delivery of the car purchased through CA? Can that also be in TX or does it have to be CA? If it has to be CA, could we do a PCD before the first of the year and run the transaction through CA with pickup in SC?
  • What allows us to call this a CA transaction? Does it have anything to do with a permanent residence or just where the car is registered and titled?

We want to have the X5 in Dallas until the family comes out some time after the first of the year but do not want to have to drive back and forth to LA for turn-in or delivery of the new one so thus all of the questions. A drive back from SC would be OK as we could then just use it in TX until we have our final drive to CA.

Thanks for the help.
A pull ahead lease return must be turned into the dealer selling you the new car.

You will need an address in CA to register the car here in SoCal

1139 W Main St Alhambra, CA 91081

(800) 286-4269 Main Office
(626) 570-8444 ext. 4675

Click here to email me!

Last edited by Justin@NCBMW; 11-20-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:33 PM
'Fest Sponsor

[QUOTE=miamiboyca;7204357]
Quote:

. You can return a lease to any BMW dealership.

. I am in your same boat and leased through a CA dealer and picking up in PCD.

. You will need to provide an address in CA in order to register it.
No you can't turn in a pull ahead to any dealer... It has to be turned into the dealer pulling you out/selling you the new car

(626) 570-8444 ext. 4675

Click here to email me!
Old 11-20-2012, 06:37 AM

Thanks guys for the responses. Very helpful so far.

So it sounds like I would need to get the old car to CA to turn in to make this work. It may be possible as my company will move 2 cars for us in the move and we plan on shipping 1 car and driving out 1 car the final time anyway to make it easier with our dog and a few high value possessions. This would just consume our second free shipment.

Just a few follow on questions then:

Is it possible to take delivery in TX while still purchasing and titling in CA or is PCD my only option?

Does the address need to be a residence or will a business address work? My guess is residence only but thought I would ask. I will have temp housing whenever I tell them so could have an residential address soon if needed.

Thanks again for the help.
Retired
2004 X3 3.0 Silver Gray
2004 330Ci Silver Gray
2002 325Ci TiAg
2002 325i TiAg
Old 11-20-2012, 09:55 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks guys for the responses. Very helpful so far.

So it sounds like I would need to get the old car to CA to turn in to make this work. It may be possible as my company will move 2 cars for us in the move and we plan on shipping 1 car and driving out 1 car the final time anyway to make it easier with our dog and a few high value possessions. This would just consume our second free shipment.

Just a few follow on questions then:

Is it possible to take delivery in TX while still purchasing and titling in CA or is PCD my only option?

Does the address need to be a residence or will a business address work? My guess is residence only but thought I would ask. I will have temp housing whenever I tell them so could have an residential address soon if needed.

Thanks again for the help.
It's possible but complex if you buy from CA and take delivery in TX...less complex if you buy in CA take delivery in PCD drive back to TX ...the issue will be the pull ahead of your current lease

Address does not have to be residence...it can be your new work address...we just need a statement of fact or letter from your employer

(626) 570-8444 ext. 4675

Click here to email me!

Last edited by Justin@NCBMW; 11-20-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:51 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
I was able to register a car at my work address.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 11-20-2012, 11:10 AM

Thanks again for the info. Work address should be no problem.

Sounds like the only way to make it work is to ship my car out to CA using my relo package, turn it in when I purchase the new one there and do a PCD so we can drive it back to Texas when we are done.

Assuming I can get the car shipped out in time, I just need to see if I can find the right dealer in SoCal that will agree to a reasonable deal and also be willing to take our car as I understand that the pull ahead is not automatic and requires some buy in from the dealer itself.

Do you guys know if there is a published PCD delivery schedule for December? I assume they take days off but wasn't sure if it extended between the holidays or just on the holidays themselves.
Retired
2004 X3 3.0 Silver Gray
2004 330Ci Silver Gray
2002 325Ci TiAg
2002 325i TiAg
Old 11-20-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Thanks again for the info. Work address should be no problem.

Do you guys know if there is a published PCD delivery schedule for December? I assume they take days off but wasn't sure if it extended between the holidays or just on the holidays themselves.

Check out the pcd forum. This late in the game you are SOL for december.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:57 AM

That was my guess. Seems a bit late unless you get lucky. If I do not get lucky, may have to see if a dealer could do the complex delivery in TX or just scrap the idea and go with the 35d in the spring. With the incentives now, it would give us the chance to at least consider the 50i but wouldn't kill us if that does not work out.

Either way, we are buying 2 in the next 6 months so just will come down to what and when.
Retired
2004 X3 3.0 Silver Gray
2004 330Ci Silver Gray
2002 325Ci TiAg
2002 325i TiAg
Old 11-20-2012, 01:48 PM

Remember you can lock in now and take delivery later. Up to 90 days from the end of the program if you use a dealer in California.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:06 PM

Yes, I did see that but it does not apply to the pull ahead. That has to be executed by the end of the program in early Jan.
Retired
2004 X3 3.0 Silver Gray
2004 330Ci Silver Gray
2002 325Ci TiAg
2002 325i TiAg
Old 11-21-2012, 04:41 PM

miamiboyca, your post just clicked. It does not matter about the pull-ahead since I can lock the incentives around Jan 1. in CA and have them good through March which happens to be when our other x5 is due. That means, we can turn in our current X5 wherever we need to, CA or TX, and take delivery on the new one either in CA or even try to do a PCD if we like. If we place the order near Jan. 1, it will take some time to build and delivery anyway so the timing could work out perfect. Thanks again. I am usually not that slow to pick it up.

Now I just need to choose a good SoCal dealer to work with on the new car and agree to a deal and do the credit app prior to the incentives expiry. The old car will take care of itself and simplifies it for the new dealer. Anyone have recommendations on which one to use in the LA area? Orange County would be great but I have heard they may not be the best to work with so I am happy going elsewhere if needed. I will be working up in Ontario anyway. I think there are a few good sponsors on here if I remember right. Assume they are all good?
Retired
2004 X3 3.0 Silver Gray
2004 330Ci Silver Gray
2002 325Ci TiAg
2002 325i TiAg
Old 11-21-2012, 09:49 PM
Runon MD1

Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Moving to CA New Car Questions

Those on this site recommend Jon Shafer at Santa Barbara BMW, Greg Poland at Pacific BMW in Glendale, and Justunnm at New Century BMW. You need not look elsewhere. Each is highly recommended.

Richard

Last edited by Runon MD1; 11-21-2012 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Please delete...misspelling of Justin's name, and duplicate post
Old 11-21-2012, 09:50 PM
Runon MD1

Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Moving to CA New Car Questions

Those on this site recommend Jon Shafer at Santa Barbara BMW, Greg Poland at Pacific BMW in Glendale, and Justin at New Century BMW. You need not look elsewhere. Each is highly recommended.

Richard
Old 11-22-2012, 09:11 AM

My guy was Greg Poland. Understood everything I needed, communicates well, and goes without saying ... Great price. Reach out to him, my deal with a little complex with the living/registration/delivery being different. His dealership uses a service and they register it no matter where you reside. Good lick.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535Xi M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
My guy was Greg Poland. Understood everything I needed, communicates well, and goes without saying ... Great price. Reach out to him, my deal with a little complex with the living/registration/delivery being different. His dealership uses a service and they register it no matter where you reside. Good lick.
So even if I'm in NY, he could get me my BMW with a good deal?
Old 11-22-2012, 09:56 AM

Sure, as long as you're flexible about delivery. For example I took delivery at PCD in SC. They throwing a full day of track time and instruction, something I couldn't turn down. Since he's in California, your incentives locking for 90 days rather than the East Coast norm of 60.

Drop him an email, he has been great.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
Sure, as long as you're flexible about delivery. For example I took delivery at PCD in SC. They throwing a full day of track time and instruction, something I couldn't turn down. Since he's in California, your incentives locking for 90 days rather than the East Coast norm of 60.

Drop him an email, he has been great.
By flexible on delivery, do you mean I have to go to another state and pick it up?

And locking for 90 days does that mean whatever deal that I make it will be good for 3 months?

Thx for your help Miamiboy..
Old 11-22-2012, 10:34 AM

You should reach out to Greg but my understanding is you have 3 options for delivery.

Pick up at dealer- (obviously no)
Pick up at Performance Center Delivery in South Carolina (awesome. They feed you and pick up you hotel and let you spend a day on the track with their cars.
Courtesy Delivery - this when they send it to you or a local dealership. I don't know anything about his one and there may be additional osts associated.

90 days from the date your incentives expire. So if Dec incentives end on Jan 1... You would have until march to take delivery. Again talk to GP. He will help you out.

Happy Turkey day
Old 11-22-2012, 11:32 AM

Thx again, Happy Turkey Day to you too.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:10 AM

Mein Auto: I'm still dreaming....
Quote:
miamiboyca, your post just clicked. It does not matter about the pull-ahead since I can lock the incentives around Jan 1. in CA and have them good through March which happens to be when our other x5 is due. That means, we can turn in our current X5 wherever we need to, CA or TX, and take delivery on the new one either in CA or even try to do a PCD if we like. If we place the order near Jan. 1, it will take some time to build and delivery anyway so the timing could work out perfect. Thanks again. I am usually not that slow to pick it up.

Now I just need to choose a good SoCal dealer to work with on the new car and agree to a deal and do the credit app prior to the incentives expiry. The old car will take care of itself and simplifies it for the new dealer. Anyone have recommendations on which one to use in the LA area? Orange County would be great but I have heard they may not be the best to work with so I am happy going elsewhere if needed. I will be working up in Ontario anyway. I think there are a few good sponsors on here if I remember right. Assume they are all good?
There is a BMW dealership in Ontario, CA. They won the Circle of Excellence award in 2011. There is one also in Riverside, CA. Probably Pacific BMW would be closest to you if you wish to work with a forum sponsor.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:15 AM

Mein Auto: I'm still dreaming....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post
Those on this site recommend Jon Shafer at Santa Barbara BMW, Greg Poland at Pacific BMW in Glendale, and Justunnm at New Century BMW. You need not look elsewhere. Each is highly recommended.

Richard
Is Shelly BMW a Bimmerfest sponsor?

Last edited by Ace535i; 11-27-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:20 PM
Greg Poland Pacific BMW

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 3.5 M sport
No Shelly is not a sponsor/

Greg Poland
Pacific BMW
800 South Brand Blvd.
Glendale, CA 91204
818 254 1491
www.PacificBMW.com
gregpoland@pacificbmw.com
Euro delivery, PC delivery, Out of state-new and used car sales
Hours:T-F 1-8 PM,Sat 1 to 8pm, off Sun and Mon.

Current rides: 2013 X5 msport and 2013 535i
15% over wholesale/invoice for all accessories! and free shipping for Bimmerfest members!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEK7hG-3fyA
Old 12-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Greg Poland Pacific BMW

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 3.5 M sport
No Shelly is not a sponsor.

Greg Poland
Pacific BMW
800 South Brand Blvd.
Glendale, CA 91204
818 254 1491
www.PacificBMW.com
gregpoland@pacificbmw.com
Euro delivery, PC delivery, Out of state-new and used car sales
Hours:T-F 1-8 PM,Sat 1 to 8pm, off Sun and Mon.

Current rides: 2013 X5 msport and 2013 535i
15% over wholesale/invoice for all accessories! and free shipping for Bimmerfest members!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEK7hG-3fyA