Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-19-2012, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: 550i
The worst night of my F10's life

After celebrating my son's 5th birthday over dinner, I walked out to someone writing a note after she hit my car as it sat parked in the parking structure. I am beside myself and my stomach is in knots.

Thankfully, there doesn't appear to be any structural damage. Does anyone have any experience with replacing the entire back bumper and lower "skirt" (the separate section between the bumper and the exhaust)?

She has AllState instead of some fly-by-night operation so I am more hopeful that my demands of getting the bumper replaced and not repaired will not be met with a lot of negotiation and red tape.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	401
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	350137  

Ads by Google
Old 11-19-2012, 09:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Wow, how great that she stuck around. I didn't think there were people like that anymore.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:31 PM

Mein Auto: 550i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmoody View Post
After celebrating my son's 5th birthday over dinner, I walked out to someone writing a note after she hit my car as it sat parked in the parking structure. I am beside myself and my stomach is in knots.

Thankfully, there doesn't appear to be any structural damage. Does anyone have any experience with replacing the entire back bumper and lower "skirt" (the separate section between the bumper and the exhaust)?

She has AllState instead of some fly-by-night operation so I am more hopeful that my demands of getting the bumper replaced and not repaired will not be met with a lot of negotiation and red tape.

Agree- pretty awesome she has the class. Sad when we want to congratulate someone for doing the right thing

You are lucky- that will be a piece of cake to replace. Heck you could even get fancy and do an M5 style rear bumper. Definitely looks like its just a new shell and paint- no matter what its simple to fix and you won't notice a thing. Sub $1k easily

Congrats on getting hit and living to tell about it. Let us know how it goes.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:40 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
I'm also surprised the other party stuck around. Glad there are still some honest people in this world.

As for your car take it to one of the BMW collision centers if one is close by. I've had my bumper replaced even though it was not as bad as yours. I hinted to them that I would like it replaced and not repaired because I've had a repaired bumper that was not done properly before. It was showing the creases a week after I received the car. It really is up to your repair facility to show that the bumper or other components need to be replaced with the insurance co.

Check the gaps between the trunk and the body to see that they are still even on both sides. If one is noticeably larger than the other there may be more damage than you can see.

Good luck.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:54 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Man, you should be applauding the fact that class, morals, and manners still matter with some people. What occurred to your bumper looks like relatively minor damage based on the photo. Sorry that it happened, but once it's sorted I'm certain that you won't notice any difference. Frankly, though, I am in awe that the person who caused this was so determined to make things right. Bad stuff happens...we hate that it does...particularly when it's to us...but deeds like what this women performed make these unfortunate happenings almost irrelevant.

Thanks for sharing. Believe it or not, you've made my day!

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus

Last edited by Leslierc; 11-20-2012 at 02:56 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
It is nice to see someone owe up to their mistakes. It will be a hassle but it can get fixed. I wish someone owed up to their mistake when they backed into my car a couple of years back.

BMW CCA Member
Old 11-20-2012, 04:04 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich77 View Post
It is nice to see someone owe up to their mistakes. I wish someone owed up to their mistake when they backed into my car a couple of years back.
So true! Been there!

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 11-20-2012, 04:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Quote:
Last time somebody smacked into me I made a claim with my own insurance company. I had to pay the deductible at the collision shop and several weeks later my insurance company paid it back to me after they recovered it from the other driver's insurance company.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:00 AM

Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffyboy View Post
Agree- pretty awesome she has the class. Sad when we want to congratulate someone for doing the right thing

You are lucky- that will be a piece of cake to replace. Heck you could even get fancy and do an M5 style rear bumper. Definitely looks like its just a new shell and paint- no matter what its simple to fix and you won't notice a thing. Sub $1k easily

Congrats on getting hit and living to tell about it. Let us know how it goes.
Not too sure about the sub 1k cost. The adjustor that comes to see the vehicle may say that. That may be more of a bumper repair and refinish along with some brackets that need to be replaced. My 535 came out to a little over 2.1k and I don't have the m sport bumper like you. I don't want to sound negative but just want you to know what to expect.

Also if possible in your state file a claim with the other parties insurance company and not yours. If they give you the run around then you can always file a claim through your own insurance if you are in California. I've done this all the times I've been rear ended. Plus you won't have to pay a cent out of pocket except time to take it to the shop and getting a rental.

Also read the estimate carefully if they agree to give a new bumper. make sure it shows a line item for a new bumper cover and diffuser and not a line item for a repair and refinish. Been told once I would get a new bumper cover on my 335 but ended up being a crappy repair job but didn't catch that in the original estimate. Good and bad thing is it got replaced a year later after being rear ended again.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i
Was sitting at a red light and got rear ended a couple of weeks ago. Rear bumper replaced (no structural damage, only cosmetic) and can't tell the difference - my indie body shop did a great job. Cost between $1,400 and $1,500 but YMMV.

Good luck,

John S.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Bmoody, I was in a restaurant a few months ago, came out and my front bumper looks like your, no note, no nothing, so consider yourself lucky that the perpetrator own up to it. When it was all said and done, it cost my insurance $1400 to fix the damage.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: '14 328i
I remember reading about someone finding a note on his car that had been hit in a parking lot. The note said something like this:

"The people watching me think I'm leaving my name and phone number on your car that I hit, but I'm not."

2014 328i, Mineral Gray, Msport, Premium, Technology, Lighting, Driver Assistance.
Retired:
'11 F10 535i
'08 E60 535i
Old 11-20-2012, 03:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
@BMoody - I damaged my rear bumper a year ago - looks nearly identical the level of damage. New unpainted bumper was $1,500 - plus I had some very minor paint damage on rear 1/4 panel. Total bill was $3,500 Canadian.

*NOTE: I had no damage to the tail lights

Last edited by Calgary Agent; 11-20-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Quote:

How did that sensor hold up? Still functioning?
Old 11-20-2012, 04:02 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
This is expensive but the good thing is the bumper is not a VIN body panel so it shouldn't affect resale - though you should disclose it.

You have 2 options - buy a new bumper pre painted from the factory, or get a new bumper and have a bodyshop paint it. You may need some new sensors too. I would do the latter since ordering bumper from Germany takes 6 weeks.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 11-20-2012, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: See Sig
I am going to repeat what so many have said because it's worth saying, how awesome that she was honest about hitting your car.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffyboy View Post
Sub $1k easily
Really? Is there any repair on an F10 sub $1K?
Clear Bra
Convenience Pckg
Premium Pckg 2
Michelin Pilot SS
Sirius Sat
Sport Automatic

Old 11-20-2012, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 535xi
It's annoying but common and easy to fix. Mine was worse than that. Replaced bumper cover, sensors, brackets. Other person's insurance covered all including rental car. The BMW body shop handled everything with the insurance company. I think it was about $1,700. Cost to me was the inconvenience and time. For these small repairs, they don't even send an adjuster- photos were enough. And that body part was available almost immediately.

2011 535xi - Black Sapphire, Venetian Beige

2008 535xi - Monaco Blue, Natural Brown Leather
Old 11-20-2012, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: 535xi,328xiC
Quote:

I had this done. The diffuser, or skirt as you call it, comes painted and is easy to replace on the MSport. The bumper is a different matter. I have carbon black metallic. It was very hard to match. After the first time they had to remove the bumper and repaint it. The had someone from the factory come and the adjusted the paint mix to get it as close as possible. You also have to make sure all of the clips fit into place with the replacement bumper otherwise it will be slightly out of alignment. Can you avoid repainting the bumper? Don't assume replacing the bumper and then painting it will make for a better match. Take it to a real pro - I have asked about getting a pre-painted bumper but was told that was not possible.

Last edited by PeterC4; 11-20-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: 535xi,328xiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
This is expensive but the good thing is the bumper is not a VIN body panel so it shouldn't affect resale - though you should disclose it.

You have 2 options - buy a new bumper pre painted from the factory, or get a new bumper and have a bodyshop paint it. You may need some new sensors too. I would do the latter since ordering bumper from Germany takes 6 weeks.
How do you get one from Germany? Where do you order it from?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i xdrive
It's only a car. That's why we have insurance. If your not happy with the fix just buy a new one.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App