Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 11-20-2012, 02:14 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 323is
warning lights showing on the computer

I have warning lights showing on my computer that my brake lights are burned out and they are working fine. Also show coolant is low but it is OK.
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2012, 03:38 AM
OBDI Junkie

Mein Auto: E36 M3
It's your brake switch. You have either a four wire switch or a three wire. The only way to tell is to look. Here's the DIY http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...ake_Switch.htm. Break the old one off with a big set of pliers-- its a PITA to remove. The warning message states "Brake circuit failure" right?
Coolant message could be harness fallen off connector, or bad sensor. Take a look along the passenger side, at the bottom of the reservoir to ensure the connector / harness is plugged in. Sometimes they will work loose, and other times the clip part is broken and will let the thing work loose from vibration. Here's a picture of the location I copied from a site that was a banned link for some reason
image sharing

Last edited by mgoods50; 11-20-2012 at 03:46 AM.