Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions

General BMW Questions
Use this forum to ask general question about the BMW ownership and keep up on the latest BMW news. Direct all model specific questions to model specific forums below.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 330ci
After Market Warranties

Hello all.
I just bought a beautiful 2001 330ci with 62,000 miles on it in great condition. I'm shopping for after market warranties and wanted some feedback from the community.
The two I'm considering are both quoting their top level Platinum Plus plans that cover "everything" including wear and tear, but the prices are so drastically different. Is this a case of you-get-what-you-pay-for, or are they comparable and one is cheaper just because it is a newer company?
Delta Auto Protect is offering 3 year, 36,000 miles at $1,800 and 5 years, 60,000 miles at $2,400 with a $0 deductible. They've been in business around a year.
CarChecx is offering 3 years, 36,000 miles for $3,500 and 5 years, 60,000 miles for $5,950. They have a $100 deductible per incident. They've been around for over a decade.
Both companies have comparable limits on liability and both companies provide OEM parts.
Reviews on both companies go both ways.
Does anyone have any insight into these companies?
Thanks so much!!!
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2015, 07:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 330ci
After a little more research I learned that Delta Auto Protect used to be Direct Buy Auto Warranty which has horrible ratings and an F rating with the BBB.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 16 435 CV Msport PPK/335d
Do a lot of research before you buy. I mean a lot. N4S
Old 03-09-2017, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: X5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntelis View Post
After a little more research I learned that Delta Auto Protect used to be Direct Buy Auto Warranty which has horrible ratings and an F rating with the BBB.

Have you end up purchasing any warranty, how is your claim processing experience so far

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 03-09-2017, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi
My feedback: don't bother. Your first repair will cost you $3,500 under one of the options you listed. Did you have a mechanic check out the car before you bought it? Is there any deferred maintenance to be done?
Old 03-09-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southcoastguy View Post
My feedback: don't bother. Your first repair will cost you $3,500 under one of the options you listed. Did you have a mechanic check out the car before you bought it? Is there any deferred maintenance to be done?

Are you referring about not opting for an extended warranty. My car was checked my an Indy, visual inspection by putting it on a lift . He mentioned about the seepage from the vacuum pump. I would not know any deferred maintenance as the car is purchased from a local dealership

Old 03-10-2017, 06:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 550i M-Sport~2015 X1
Aftermarket warranties can be a costly mistake when you discover your claim has been denied due to some loophole which is stated in the fine print. With that said I don't think I would want to own a BMW without a warranty. BMWs have lots of sophisticated technology on board which is very desireable to have when they are new but as the miles accumulate these expensive technologies often fail. Even an oil leak can cost several thouand to fix and all BMWs will eventually begin leaking from somewhere, usually then followed by others in more than one place as the various o-ring seals harden and deteriorate with age.

I would recommend a CPO (certified pre-owned) and extend the warranty at every opportunity. For example, we bought a 2007 550i CPO in 2008 with 12K miles. We renewed several times and that warranty just expired unrenewable in Feb 2017 at 152K miles so we traded for a 2016 550i with 3000 miles to get a fresh start again. BMW paid for a lot of expensive repairs on our 2007 during the entire time we owned it and some of the big repair bills at over 100K miles came close to the value of the car.

Last edited by Rusty34; 03-10-2017 at 06:25 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty34 View Post
Aftermarket warranties can be a costly mistake when you discover your claim has been denied due to some loophole which is stated in the fine print. With that said I don't think I would want to own a BMW without a warranty. BMWs have lots of sophisticated technology on board which is very desireable to have when they are new but as the miles accumulate these expensive technologies often fail. Even an oil leak can cost several thouand to fix and all BMWs will eventually begin leaking from somewhere, usually then followed by others in more than one place as the various o-ring seals harden and deteriorate with age.

I would recommend a CPO (certified pre-owned) and extend the warranty at every opportunity. For example, we bought a 2007 550i CPO in 2008 with 12K miles. We renewed several times and that warranty just expired unrenewable in Feb 2017 at 152K miles so we traded for a 2016 550i with 3000 miles to get a fresh start again. BMW paid for a lot of expensive repairs on our 2007 during the entire time we owned it and some of the big repair bills at over 100K miles came close to the value of the car.

I totally agree with you about cpo, however in my case I have already purchased the car so I will have to look for whatever extended warranty coverage is available.

My vehicle is a 2010 X5M with 64 k miles on it, unfortunately there was no X5M available as CPO and if there were that would have been out of my budget.

The driving dynamics of this car is second to none. I will be happy if I can keep it running until 100k miles without much trouble.

How was your long term ownership experience with 550i, was it a v8 and 152 k miles sounds a lot

Old 03-10-2017, 07:53 AM

Our 2007 (E60/ N62) had the 4.8L V8 and the car was as smooth and quiet at 152K miles as when we first got it and always drove exceptionally well. My wife recently decided she wanted a new one about a week after I was driving the old one somewhere and thinking about how good it still was and that perhaps we should keep it on into our retirement. 152K is a lot of miles for most cars but miles don't seem to affect the integrity of a BMW if you keep it properly maintained. In our case the local dealer did all the routine maintenance and repairs and we changed the oil more frequently than recommended.

I didn't know much about BMWs so I joined this forum recently to learn what I could about known issues and repair history for the 2007 and compare the findings with what we had already addressed on ours in order to help decide what to do. I discovered there were still several outstanding and expensive issues the E60 is known to have and because we were out of warranty it seemed right in our case to go ahead and trade.

Last edited by Rusty34; 03-10-2017 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:12 AM
Retired Fed

Mein Auto: 2006 M5 E60
Waste of money, as long as you upkeep the car, should be ok

Old 03-10-2017, 09:02 AM

The operative word is "should" be OK. How lucky do you feel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by myurkoski View Post
Got my E60 at 72k, and I keep track of exactly how much I spend on my E60 (albeit lots of preventive maint) every year. From the first 6 months onward, it was well is in excess of $1106/yr. Get the warranty.

Last edited by Rusty34; 03-10-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: 128i Cabriolet '12
Depends on a lot of variables,

* age of car
* cost of car
* how competent you are

when I had a 2006 POS neon, I didnt need it, but a m8 of mine was an SA in Chrysler
my 2012 1 series, you'd better bet I also went for the ext. w'tee

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Fed View Post
Waste of money, as long as you upkeep the car, should be ok

Old 03-22-2017, 09:40 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X6
I would recommend a CPO (certified pre-owned) and extend the warranty at every opportunity.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntelis View Post

My service advisor in BMW told me they recently filled a claim with Delta Auto Protect for another customer and DAP paid for OEM parts and BMW posted labor. They approved the claim in two days which seems okay.

Old 03-26-2017, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: Fast
In '07 I bought my first bimmer, an '04 330ci. It had 45k-ish when I got it. By 94k miles I'd replaced ball joints, expansion tank, idler pulley/tensioner & belt, water pump + t-stat, ambient temp sensor, plugs, 2 batteries, & valve cover gasket. Had an indy shop take care of those items over the few years I had it. Few thousand total I think was all.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Bimmerfest mobile app

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions
Today's Posts Search