Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 11-15-2014, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: Not a BMW, yet...
Best time to buy loaner / CPO?

My fiancée and I will soon be shopping for our first BMW. We've both driven a few models, but nothing recent. She very recently paid off her '10 Civic that is in excellent shape with low miles, which we are considering using as a potential trade. We're both focusing on a 3-series, within a couple model years old. We both want all wheel drive; automatic is a must have for her, since it will be her vehicle and the comfort zone for manual isn't there yet. I'm pushing for a 335i X-drive, for the engine package, although I'm sure the turbo 4 feels quite healthy. Our other must-haves are navigation, dark interior, and black or white exterior.

We are planning on shopping the Cleveland market, and are wondering what is the best time of month/year...if any...to buy a loaner or certified pre-owned?

Most of the loaner cars I have seen on our local dealers' websites have been 320's and 328's. What is the likelihood of finding a 335 thru this program so we can take advantage of the lower interest rates and better warranty offering?

Thanks for any insight!
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2014, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i XDrive
I just bought my first BMW, a 328 (E90)upgrading from a SAAB 93, I learned that 2011 is a good year for a couple reasons,
- it was the last year the 328i came with a 6 cylinder,
- there are alot of 2011's on the market right now because of 3 year lease turn-ins.
I found an xdrive, premium package, CPO warranty , 9,500 miles for around $27K
I love it !!

Read around, quite a few people do not like the turbo 4's (F30's)as much as the I 6's.(E90's)
Old 11-16-2014, 06:03 AM

I don't mind some of the older models, but I can't see us getting anything older than a 2013. She likes the looks, we both like the financing rate and warranty options of the newer models.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
The best time of the year to shop for a car is January. Why? "Honey, how come you put so many purchases on the Visa/MC!!!! Now we can't go car shopping until March." Or, "Buy a new car now, in this weather. You must be nutz."

My sister bought her Toyota (ugh, f#######g boat) in January. She told the salesman what she'd pay, he laughed at her. She walked out and waited. 2 days later he called her and agreed to he price.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
FWIW, the 2.0 liter turbo and 8-speed ZF transmission is a very nice powertrain. Fantastic combination of power, performance and efficiency.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcozandrini View Post
The best time of the year to shop for a car is January. Why? "Honey, how come you put so many purchases on the Visa/MC!!!! Now we can't go car shopping until March." Or, "Buy a new car now, in this weather. You must be nutz."

My sister bought her Toyota (ugh, f#######g boat) in January. She told the salesman what she'd pay, he laughed at her. She walked out and waited. 2 days later he called her and agreed to he price.
Yup. I used to date a carsalesmanette when I lived up north. Car salesmen make minimum wage ("the draw"), with commissions deducted from the draw. During December and January, a lot of car salesmen's commissions don't even cover the minimum wage they get.

The salesman gets between 25% and 40% of the spread (Sale price - published invoice price). A salesman's commission rate is based on the number of cars they sell in a month, and it's retroactive to all their sales for the month. So, it one more sale will push them into a higher commission rate bracket, they not only make money on that car, but on all the other cars they've sold that month. This is why the end-of-the month thing also works.

You can get the best deal from a rookie, women, or minority salesman. They are disadvantaged compared to Billy Bob White Guy who's been a the dealership for twenty years. A sales manager will let them sell a car cheaper to get them going. But, the manage will make Billy Bob White Guy squeeze you for more, since he's likely getting a higher commission rate.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:16 AM

We've made contact with a dealer and are probably going to check things out in person. They have at least one 2011 CPO model that looks promising; but it's black, and we're really wanting a white car. Guess we have to weigh the options once we find out what's out there for us.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 528xi
I had great results online. I used email and actually only spoke with the salesman at the very end of the process on the phone. All negotiating on email and got a great deal. Of course after I negotiated, I went to the dealer to see the car and verify condition etc. I have always felt that once they get you in there they have the upper hand.

2010 528i xDrive / Platinum Metallic Gray
Old 11-19-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcutMetl View Post
We've made contact with a dealer and are probably going to check things out in person. They have at least one 2011 CPO model that looks promising; but it's black, and we're really wanting a white car. Guess we have to weigh the options once we find out what's out there for us.
Seems like there should be more to choose from, a couple dealers I went to had 7 or 8 2011's...did you check BMWUSA CPO?
http://cpo.bmwusa.com/index.htm
Old 11-19-2014, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
OP: I bought my wife a 13 320i. Its the perfect chick car without sport package. (Although hers does have it.. she's german). I have my eye set on a e39 m5. Since I bought her the f30, she has no say in MY car choice I boight her a 06 325i black/black with a manual. I traded it for my current e60 530i (GREAT CAR!). I hope you and your fiancé get your dream bmw. Enjoy.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-21-2014, 07:22 PM

We got it today; a 2011 335i X-Drive, M-sport, cold weather, with the 320hp option. 26,xxx miles, Certified Pre Owned, one-owner, aftermarket tinted, with full dealer service records. Arctic white, black carpet, and I believe oyster upholstery. Man oh man...what a beast; it drives great...very smooth. We found it at a dealer about 1.5hrs away; took the day off work, and went on a mission. It was already priced in-line with the research we had done, and they gave us a fair trade-in value for my fiancée's 2010 Civic, that was in excellent shape.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:44 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 228i
Nice car! Congrats and enjoy!
Old 11-22-2014, 01:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Congrats, beautiful car!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-22-2014, 01:44 AM

Thanks guys; we really like it a lot!
Old 11-22-2014, 05:37 AM

Wow, nice car....who's is it again, yours or hers ? :-)
Old 11-22-2014, 05:50 AM

It's definitely hers! I've always wanted a BMW; and felt that the 335xi was the one for me, but could never really justify it with me having a company vehicle to drive full time. It's always been a personal goal for her to have a nice car; and there was NOTHING wrong with her Civic, but she earned it and deserves it. Her level of organization and planning during the search process was pretty impressive; I helped during the negotiation and advised her about the 'functional' features of the car...like how we NEEDED the 335, why the x-drive made sense and how it worked, and how when we found one that had the m-sport & performance package, that it was a bit more desirable to us than a model with less features. Sometimes you have to sell in two directions...

The first time she drove it, she understood- and I made sure her test drive was before mine. She's pretty cool when it comes to stuff like that; I have a boat with twin outboards and a very fast snowmobile...she loves 'em both.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:15 AM

sounds like a keeper :-) ( car and girl)
Old 11-23-2014, 07:47 AM
Oh Really?

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi
Congrats on the purchase. Looks like a very clean car.

2015 BMW 535xi - M Sport
Carbon Black w/ Anthracite Wood Trim
Cold Weather
Drivers Assistance
Dynamic Handling
Sports Auto Transmission
Multi-Contour Seats
HK Audio
Garbage GoodYear RFTS
Makes Pancakes in the morning
Leaves Money on Dresser
Old 11-23-2014, 08:05 AM