Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 03-11-2014, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Auto Start-Stop Function????

Be honest, what do you think of the "Auto Stop-Start" function that's on all the BMWs now? I find it annoying to the point that I'm not sure I'd get a newer BMW because of it. What are your thoughts on it?
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2014, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325XI
You can turn it off
Old 03-11-2014, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Yes you can, turn it off.. but you have to turn it off every time you turn the car on... as opposed to Porsche that has a separate button that keeps it off all the time if you like. I just think the whole thing is annoying.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
I actually don't mind it. I recall reading that the system was upgraded for the 2014s (reprogramming, stronger battery) so that could be part of the reason.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:50 PM
Steve In Texas

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 x35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macladybug View Post
Yes you can, turn it off.. but you have to turn it off every time you turn the car on... as opposed to Porsche that has a separate button that keeps it off all the time if you like. I just think the whole thing is annoying.
My understanding is that you can request your dealer to change the setting to "Last user mode":
Quote:
SI B12 15 12...SITUATION
Some drivers have expressed the desire to deactivate [Automatic Start/Stop] in certain situations. This can be done manually via the Automatic Start/Stop function button with the LED switched on, indicating that the start/stop function is deactivated.

However, by default, the Automatic Start/Stop function is reactivated each time the engine is started.

At the request of an owner, it is possible to modify this default logic to "Last user mode."

With this logic, the current MSA's activated or deactivated setting is stored and used on the next trip.
Problem solved?
Old 03-11-2014, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: 328d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe 92 View Post
My understanding is that you can request your dealer to change the setting to "Last user mode":

Problem solved?
All MY2014 with it come default 'last user mode'

Honestly, I leave it on all the time - is does help in CO2 reduction, and along with electric vehicles will be more common in the next years.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
First world problems......

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-12-2014, 06:32 AM
Steve In Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30jojo View Post
First world problems...
True, but OP is far from the first to complain about this. When I was researching various cars before my recent purchase, both professional reviews and owner forums were chock-full of complaints about ASS and frustration that you had to change the setting every time you got in the car. This was prevalent enough that BMW began setting new cars (at least those bound for the States, not sure about the situation outside the States) to "Last user mode" and allowed dealers to change that setting for existing owners.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 28i
Not sure why my X3 appears to be different. It was build in November 2013. I don't have to turn ASS off every time I get into the car - only after ECO mode has turned it back on for me. I have a feeling that after a change to the ECO settings I won't have that issue either.-

2014 X3 xDrive28i
Old 03-12-2014, 12:53 PM
Steve In Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius99 View Post
Not sure why my X3 appears to be different. It was build in November 2013. I don't have to turn ASS off every time I get into the car - only after ECO mode has turned it back on for me. I have a feeling that after a change to the ECO settings I won't have that issue either.-
My understanding is that BMW issued the bulletin I quoted in August 2012 or thereabouts. I'm not sure when the change was applied to production, but presumably all 2014's would be set to "Last user mode" at the factory. I would think that would also apply to half or so of the 2013's, too? It seems like most of the X1 reviews I read which complained about this issue were right around the US launch, so those would have been 2013's built early in the MY.

Last edited by Moe 92; 03-12-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 Z4 28i
I think it depends on your build. I askrd the dealer how to turn it off during the delivery of my 2014 e89, and it's never come back on.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-24-2014, 05:27 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
It is a pain. As long as you can turn it off, or better yet have the last setting still on it is not that big a deal. N4S
Old 04-24-2014, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 28i
The other day I read on one of the boards that BMW apparently is addressing the issue by changing the behavior, making it much less aggressive in their most recent software versions.

2014 X3 xDrive28i
Old 04-24-2014, 08:09 AM
Mullini

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW sDrive 28i X1
I am a big fan of ASS. Oops. Auto Stop Start. OK not a big fan but I'm glad to have it. Here's my experience:

I've learned how to brake so that ASS doesn't come on if I don't want it to. It's just a matter of easing to a stop.

But if I am coming to a stop where I know it's going to be a little while before I get going, I like to see ASS come on. And when the light turns green, I feel no sharp shudder, just a slight vibration as the engine come to life. When I miss a light and know I am going to be sitting there awhile, it's kind of comforting to know I'm not burning expensive gas. I have a feeling ASS is one reason why this Los Angeles resident is able to maintain MPG at around 28, with 20K miles on my X1.