Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 11-21-2014, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: X3, soon
leasing and Canada visits

Hi,

Wondering what processes I need to follow if I plan to take my x3 to Canada for a weekend visit.
What info will they require?

Thanks,
Advertisement
Old 11-22-2014, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
To be certain I would call the appropriate agency. It wouldn't hurt to have your lease docs with you if you're worried, otherwise I am sure it happens thousands of times a day.

Tim
Old 11-22-2014, 11:05 AM

Mein Auto: '13 320i, occ. use of X3
I visit British Columbia all the time. The Canadians don't ask many questions. Often they only ask "do you have anything to declare?". They seem to be on the lookout for BC drivers trying to buy things and not pay duty. The Canadians sometimes ask if you are bringing in any guns. For the most part, don't try.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Basically, you really only need your auto license, registration and proof of insurance.

But you are restricted in the amount of liquor and cigarettes you can bring in to Canada. And don't forget to bring your passport for re-entry into the US.

Tom

Last edited by Tom K.; 11-22-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: '13 320i, occ. use of X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Basically, you really only need your auto license, registration and proof of insurance.

But you are restricted in the amount of liquor and cigarettes you can bring in to Canada. And don't forget to bring your passport for re-entry into the US.

Tom
The U.S. allows a passport card or enhanced driver's license, but technically not a regular driver's license. Only a few states have enhanced driver's licenses, such as WA, NY, MI, and they all require an extra fee to get it.

Don't be confused if the police ask for a yellow card. Simply explain that your insurance company no longer issues them and says that your state proof of insurance is adequate. As recently as two years ago, US insurance companies provided proof of insurance on a special yellow card with English and French on it.

Also be aware that if you have a drunk driving conviction, Canada may bar you from entering.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
As a Canadian I can tell you do not,repeat, not bring any firearms. We don't have the 2nd Amendment!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-23-2014, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
I will assume you don't have summer rubber on your X3?
Some provinces have strict rules on what tires you have on for certain times of the year, for certain snow heavy areas.