Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions

General BMW Questions
Use this forum to ask general question about the BMW ownership and keep up on the latest BMW news. Direct all model specific questions to model specific forums below.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: MK7 GTI / TonyKart EVRR
How does keyless entry work?

New here, not new to BMWs. I've been doing some research on BMW's keyless entry system and I can't for the life of me figure out how it works. How does the car sense the key is in required proximity? What kind of sensors are in the door handle to detect touch to lock and unlock the car?

Can any BMW techs or engineers enlighten me?
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2016, 08:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 550i MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbruno1108 View Post
New here, not new to BMWs. I've been doing some research on BMW's keyless entry system and I can't for the life of me figure out how it works. How does the car sense the key is in required proximity? What kind of sensors are in the door handle to detect touch to lock and unlock the car?

Can any BMW techs or engineers enlighten me?

The key sends a signal every couple of miliseconds. This signal fades in ~100 feet so one antenna in the car can detect the key if it's within that distance. However one antenna can't tell where the key is.

Therefore they put 5 antennas in the car at different locations and the control unit calculates the location of the key based on the signal strength received by the antennas and using triangle method similar to the GPS system.

Door handle has a capacitive sensor on it. (similar to touch screen) The value of a capacitor depends on the permittivity of the dielectric material. When no one is touching the handle, the dielectric material is air. The human body has a different permittivity than air so when someone puts their hand there, the capacitance of the sensor changes. And that's what the car is monitoring.

EDIT: have to make some correction: similarity to GPS on location is a bit vague. The GPS uses signal delay to calculate distance where the comfort access uses signal strength, the triangle principle is the same.

Last edited by acoste; 07-15-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: 08 650I Convertible
All I can add here is it works slick....
Old 07-29-2016, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto: 128i Cabriolet '12
to add; the key must be close enough to the sensors usually in your pocket; if a guy is trying to fuel up with key in pocket, you can jump in but not start the car
you can't also lock the cars from outside with the keys inside the car or in the boot (tried it!)
and the key needs to be in a specfic place to start" the car as well (usually with the driver, center console, front door areas wheel wells
you get a warning if it cant detect the key, especially if you've started the car and got out and dropped it,
so you can't "accidentally drive off" with no key, if you do; it wont start again
Old 07-29-2016, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: 128i Cabriolet '12
its called CA - Comfort Access
Old 07-29-2016, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
its called CA - Comfort Access
And was originally termed "Convenient Access"

From my '07 manual table of contents:
"Comfort access, refer to Convenient access"

Tom
Old 07-31-2016, 12:55 AM

Mein Auto: 335is 2011
Very interesting, also you can use your head as an antenna. Your brain is 80 percent water and will amplify the signal from your remote. Put your remote on your head and try it. Also works for a cell phone. I can't use all those scientific words, but it's pretty spiffy!!
Old 07-31-2016, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 550i MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iblack View Post
Very interesting, also you can use your head as an antenna. Your brain is 80 percent water and will amplify the signal from your remote. Put your remote on your head and try it. Also works for a cell phone. I can't use all those scientific words, but it's pretty spiffy!!
Amplification won't happen, but reflections. The total power emitted from the antenna spreads in all the direction, 360 degree. Now if your head is in the way, some of the radiation will get reflected on the border where permittivity changes (this case it's the first layer of the skin). Therefore the signal that goes toward the other direction will have the direct and the reflected waves combined increasing the signal strength by 10-20%.
This effect is definitely measurable with instruments. I'm surprised you can experience this in real life.

Last edited by acoste; 07-31-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: 335is 2011
How does keyless entry work?

I have a powerful head!!! Science is so cool!!
Old 07-31-2016, 02:51 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A-220K-traded
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iblack View Post
I have a powerful head!!! Science is so cool!!
True dat. Would that the world (the US world) agreed.

Last edited by ProRail; 07-31-2016 at 02:53 PM. Reason: clarification

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions
Today's Posts Search