Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-20-2012, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Improved Casting Numbers N52

A little background-

As I have mentioned in another post I am taking my'07 X3 to the dealer tomorrow for a reoccurring ticking noise. I have had the Hydraulic Valve Lifters (HVA) replaced and during another visit the Roller Drag Lifters were replaced. Noise just came back, I made an appt with dealer for tomorrow as my CPO expires tomorrow. Thank you to everyone that replied to that post.

Since people have mentioned that a Cylinder Head replacement can do the trick and end the ticking. I decided to look at ALLDATA online at my local library as I just noticed on a past invoice from my lifter replacement that my Cylinder Head Casting Number (755255004) is on my invoice. According to ALLDATA online and TSB SI B11 09 07 the improved Casting Number for the N52 (B30) is 7588273.

Does this mean I have a Casting Number on my Cylinder Head that may indicate that it should qualify for replacement? The improved number seems much shorter so maybe I am confused?

I would assume replacing the HVA's and Levers would be less costly services to the dealer so I am wondering if they chose that path 1st before replacing a pretty costly, I would think, Cylinder Head.

Any last additional advice is appreciated-
Ads by Google
Old 11-21-2012, 06:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal2 View Post
A little background-

As I have mentioned in another post I am taking my'07 X3 to the dealer tomorrow for a reoccurring ticking noise. I have had the Hydraulic Valve Lifters (HVA) replaced and during another visit the Roller Drag Lifters were replaced. Noise just came back, I made an appt with dealer for tomorrow as my CPO expires tomorrow. Thank you to everyone that replied to that post.

Since people have mentioned that a Cylinder Head replacement can do the trick and end the ticking. I decided to look at ALLDATA online at my local library as I just noticed on a past invoice from my lifter replacement that my Cylinder Head Casting Number (755255004) is on my invoice. According to ALLDATA online and TSB SI B11 09 07 the improved Casting Number for the N52 (B30) is 7588273.

Does this mean I have a Casting Number on my Cylinder Head that may indicate that it should qualify for replacement? The improved number seems much shorter so maybe I am confused?

I would assume replacing the HVA's and Levers would be less costly services to the dealer so I am wondering if they chose that path 1st before replacing a pretty costly, I would think, Cylinder Head.

Any last additional advice is appreciated-
I hope this helps:
Old 11-21-2012, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
I have two rides with the N52... 328xi and the X3... They both have this issue.. The ticking is easily "fixed" by some spirited driving... Both of my rides are high mileage and out of warranty....meaning, I ain't getting them fixed..

I just look at it this way... When they tick, they are reminding me that I haven't driven them like they deserve to be driven. I then take them out for a spin and show each who is the boss... until next time.

('11 E92 328i xDrive - Deep Sea Blue | '07 E92 328xi - Space Gray)
Old 11-21-2012, 10:36 AM

Update-

Thank you USARET. The BMW in the picture looks just like mine, for a quick second I thought it was mine. I did find all of that info you kindly included on ALLDATA online but yours looks like the official BMW TSB. I don't think I will really know what my Cylinder Head number is without getting into the engine which of course I will not and cannot do.

I Once again drove the X3 45 minutes to the dealer this morning and my SA was waiting for me with a women that appeared to be a BMW rep of some sort as she didn't seem like an employee of the dealership. My SA mentioned that he came in to work 30 minutes early so that he would be ready for my appt. The women and my SA were both overly attentive to me and were complimenting me on my shoes and jacket. Very strange I thought and I felt like they trying to be overly nice on purpose as it felt really fake and just strange. My SA also started talking to me about tire replacement, etc at this time. All was just too strange...just fix my ticking problem! I feel like they are looking for an issue or are going to make up one to get $$ out of me. Has anyone witnessed this strange behavior that I witnessed today?

SA said they would keep the car overnight and do a cold start when they returned from the holiday. The car doesn't always make the ticking noise after a cold start since the Lever replacement last month so I made the SA aware of that. I didn't ask who lady was when I was with my SA in his office but I am sort of angry that I didn't.

When I pulled my loaner out of the BMW service garage I noticed in my rear view mirror at least 4 people going to look at my X3 already.

I have written up a timeline of service on this issue and will continue to add to it. I will submit to the General Manager of my dealership and possibly BMW after this visit.

I hope all goes well this time and the issue is solved once and for all.

Last edited by Bengal2; 11-21-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
You probably should post a picture of your shoes and jacket here to help us with remote diagnosis.

Anyway, good luck, hope they give you proper service this time, but keep your defenses up and your offense ready!
Old 11-21-2012, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: X3 Msport, 95 M3 & E39
I made a short video of my wifes X3 ticking to help my cause. Didnt hurt that I know the service manager either.. Hopefully they make this right for you.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:46 PM

The video idea is a great one and I love the newpaper date idea! My video did not come out very well as I was in a parking garage so I did not show it today.