Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 335xi
Wrapping?

Would maintaining a wrap job be less expensive than a paint job?

Stuff happens...and sometimes it's unpreventable.

Cars get keyed.
Rock chips.
Salt gets flung at your car.

I know for a fact that repainting a car is expensive (I worked in a body shop).
If one panel gets ruined, you usually have to paint 1-2 more panels just to blend the paint.
Whereas...
If your car gets keyed, they could just remove the wrap on that panel, sand the scratch down, primer it, and re-wrap it.

I don't know.
Would it be less expensive?
Advertisement
Old 11-21-2012, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: 99...540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemorrhage View Post

Cars get keyed.
Rock chips.

I know for a fact that repainting a car is expensive (I worked in a body shop).
If one panel gets ruined, you usually have to paint 1-2 more panels just to blend the paint.
Whereas...
If your car gets keyed, they could just remove the wrap on that panel, sand the scratch down, primer it, and re-wrap it.

I don't know.

The advantages of the wrap is just what you stated can be removed and replaced. I don't think that it would be any more or less than just a paint maintenance.
In the case of a collision repair the car is always going to be expensive regardless of paint or wrap. It the case of rock chips and scratches a wrap would have some advantages over paint. That's why putting a cleat bra on the car is a nice feature to keeping the front of the car in good shape

Its Going To Cost How Much???????
Old 11-21-2012, 04:14 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 07 335i 91 325i
YES, you don't need to wax, claybar, polish, use all the stuff you use to keep paint looking great! also no more paying detail shop to do all the work. ONLY thing you may want to buy is PLEXUS for glossy/glossy carbon fiber vinyl. matte vinyls you use nothing but rubbing alcohol to clean off some road tar/ bird crap.

Cars get keyed.
Rock chips.
YES, all this can damage the vinyl as well as your paint underneath. however the vinyl does give you extra protection. vinyl wrap material is A LOT thinner than clear bra vinyl.

YES, just peel off the vinyl fix whatever needs fixing if anything at all. rewrap it.

YES, keep in mind a solid color vinyl 5x5' is around $50.00. carbon fiber/brushed aluminum/leather looking/ chameleon vinyl 5x5' is around $80-120.00 so for example your need to re-wrap your hood, $50-120 for materials, i usually charge $150-200 for labor to do it. takes around 2-3hrs 2 guys. say your fender needs rewrapping, 3x5 material $25-$50, 30min of labor probably charge $50.00 and your done.

hope that helps!

Old 11-21-2012, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wu! Wraps View Post
YES, you don't need to wax, claybar, polish, use all the stuff you use to keep paint looking great! also no more paying detail shop to do all the work. ONLY thing you may want to buy is PLEXUS for glossy/glossy carbon fiber vinyl. matte vinyls you use nothing but rubbing alcohol to clean off some road tar/ bird crap.

Cars get keyed.
Rock chips.
YES, all this can damage the vinyl as well as your paint underneath. however the vinyl does give you extra protection. vinyl wrap material is A LOT thinner than clear bra vinyl.

YES, just peel off the vinyl fix whatever needs fixing if anything at all. rewrap it.

YES, keep in mind a solid color vinyl 5x5' is around $50.00. carbon fiber/brushed aluminum/leather looking/ chameleon vinyl 5x5' is around $80-120.00 so for example your need to re-wrap your hood, $50-120 for materials, i usually charge $150-200 for labor to do it. takes around 2-3hrs 2 guys. say your fender needs rewrapping, 3x5 material $25-$50, 30min of labor probably charge $50.00 and your done.

hope that helps!
Wrapping definitely seems to be the way to go.
I appreciate the info.