Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35i
2012 BMW X5 Moonroof will not close properly

Watch the video below...

I've been having this issue with my 2012 BMW X5 moonroof, primarily with the cold weather. It did this last winter, was fine all summer, then yesterday it acted up again.

Ive read some posts that a re-init fixes this issue? Can anybody confirm? Should I cancel my service appt with the dealer next week?

Keith

Last edited by Keith3679; 11-20-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2012, 09:36 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith3679 View Post
Should I cancel my service appt with the dealer next week?

Keith
Absolutely not. Get the failure ON RECORD. In fact, I'd make sure the SA confirms it doesnt close right and you get that in the work order. (Many times the work order says "C/S blah, blah" and the response doesnt confirm a failure....You want 'improper operation confirmed by M. Service Advisor" added to the work order.)

Just being thorough...

A
Old 11-23-2012, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: x3,x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Absolutely not. Get the failure ON RECORD. In fact, I'd make sure the SA confirms it doesnt close right and you get that in the work order. (Many times the work order says "C/S blah, blah" and the response doesnt confirm a failure....You want 'improper operation confirmed by M. Service Advisor" added to the work order.)

Just being thorough...

A

I agree, this is a huge known issue with the roof (search on bmw pano roof problems) and generally very expensive to fix out of warranty. Get it on record.

Last edited by clinkinfo; 11-23-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5
I had the same issue after getting my X5 back a couple of weeks ago. They adjusted the roof because of some noise and i got it back having the issue u are seeing. Caught on vid too.

My post "X5 woes" tells the issues with my roof that now is in BMW's hands, a week of my car sitting in the shop. It seems its a can of worms and now they need to replace the rails? Is that a big job and what can happen when they do that? Oh well, just document often is my lesson.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 E70 3.0d
Hello Keith3679. I am having exactly the same problem with my sunroof, it started acting up today. How did you manage to sort your sunroof out.

Regards

Sunny
Old 04-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35D
Wow, talk about coincidence. Mine started to do the same thing today. First nice day out (17C), and I decided to use the tilt, now it will not close properly, its doing the same thing as yours

| ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZSP | ZTP | 322 | 2VA | 456 | 4AD | 4UB | 610 | 655 | 6FF | 6FL | Combox + CIC + LCI Headlight/Tailight retro |
Old 04-08-2013, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35i SA
Subscribed. Not a car expert so or give me for not using technical terms. Last time this happened wouldn't close from the tilted position no matter what I did. Examined the exterior of the sunroof and noticed the rubber seal bordering the glass was raised at two spots (approximate location of the spots were in between the two glass panes. Gotta go in for my first oil change here shortly so hopefully I'll be able to get smart on the issue before I have a nice long talk with the SA.