Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 12-19-2012, 09:53 PM
Allergic to Sushi

Mein Auto: BMW
ED travel - snow tires

Hi, I want some suggestions on what I should do for my ED trip in February/March.

I know that it is highly recommended to put on snow tires in Germany (Austria is required). However, I plan to pick up the car in Munich but drop it off in Nice, France. Therefore, I cannot really rent snow tires at that place near the Welt. I would have to drive back there to return the tires, which defeats the purpose of the trip to Nice.

I was planning to stay in Europe for one week: Munich and nearby places (one full day), Switzerland/basel/berne/etc. (1-2 days), Lake Como (one day), Nice (1-2 days).
Ads by Google
Old 12-20-2012, 05:37 AM
Aviator

Mein Auto: BMWs
Which BMW, and what tires will you have on the car?
'11 Z4 - mojave over beige • 6 speed manual • Münich delivery

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles
Old 12-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Allergic to Sushi

It's a 2013 335i sedan. It will be stock tires.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:55 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikiller View Post
The question is whether you will have all seasons or summer tires (which come with the sport packages). With all season, you could probably get by. With summers, absolutely not.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 12-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Aviator

Mein Auto: BMWs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
The question is whether you will have all seasons or summer tires (which come with the sport packages). With all season, you could probably get by. With summers, absolutely not.
Exactly.
'11 Z4 - mojave over beige • 6 speed manual • Münich delivery

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles
Old 12-20-2012, 06:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Quote:
Assumming you are buying a "335i Sedan" then the only tires available are 18" RFT stock "All Season". You have to buy one of the other "lines" (Modern, Luxury, Sport, M Sport) to even be able to get the option or equipment to get "Summer" Tires". So you should be good to go.

HerrK - Keine Eifelfahrt ohne eine Runde über den Nürburgring

May 2010 ED l 2011 35i l Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/brushed Alum l 6sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's l Comfort Access l Alarm l Power Heated Seats l & Nav.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: MB CLK
Not wishing to sound biased - and I think others on here will verify that I often provide independent advice whenevr asked, even though I have a vested interest - but with regard to driving in snow & ice I would certainly not agree that a 335i with 18" tires is "good to go". Anything but, if conditions are bad - and if there's snow falling and settling, the difference in road-holding between M & S tires and Winter tires is significant.

...and do't forget, if dropping off in Nice, you will need to obtain a breathalyser kit prior to entering France, where one is required by law, and keep it inside the car.

Winter Tire Rentals Munich, Germany
Vacation Property Rentals

Last edited by john lance; 12-21-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:28 AM
Allergic to Sushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
It's not all season tires nor is it summer tires. It is the standard one that come with the car.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:34 AM
Allergic to Sushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by john lance View Post
Not wishing to sound biased - and I think others on here will verify that I often provide independent advice whenevr asked, even though I have a vested interest - but with regard to driving in snow & ice I would certainly not agree that a 335i with 18" tires is "good to go". Anything but, if conditions are bad - and if there's snow falling and settling, the difference in road-holding between M & S tires and Winter tires is significant.

...and do't forget, if dropping off in Nice, you will need to obtain a breathalyser kit prior to entering France, where one is required by law, and keep it inside the car.

Breathalyzer kit in France? Wow...that's ridiculous. Might as well get a blood sample test kit and urine test kit to detect for driving under drug influence.....
Old 12-23-2012, 02:42 AM
Allergic to Sushi

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think i'm going to change my itinerary by not dropping off the car in Nice.

So here's my route:

By Driving
1) Munich
2) Switzerland (Basel, Berne, Interlaken, Lauterbrunnen, Lucerne)
3) If there's time, then to Austria (Salzburg, possibly Vienna) >> requires snow tires.
4) Drop car back at Munich

By train
Afterward, i'm going to take a train to Italy (Venice, Florence, Rome) because I've heard that Italy traffic violations (not parking tickets) is ridiculous. Not going to get those tickets with my new car.

Either way, I'm planning to rent the snow tires just to be safe driving on those alps in Switzerland, and especially for Austria (a mandated law).
Old 12-23-2012, 06:39 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
It's not all season tires nor is it summer tires. It is the standard one that come with the car.
The standard tires on BMW without sport package are all-season tires.

The standard tires put a BMW with a sport package are summer (aka performance) tires.

As for the rules in Austria:
Quote:
Winter tyres are mandatory in Austria. The law states that passenger cars with a permissible maximum weight of up to 3.5 tonnes may be operated only between 1 November and 15 April in winter conditions such as snow, slush or ice if winter tyres have been installed on all wheels. All-season tyres are also considered winter tyres if they have the "M + S" mark.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 12-23-2012, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: MB CLK
Quote:
Breathalyzer kit in France? Wow...that's ridiculous. Might as well get a blood sample test kit and urine test kit to detect for driving under drug influence.....
To have a breathalyzer kit in the car has been French law since 1st July this year but only strictly enforced since 1st November. It's only a small item costing 3 or 4 Euros. The whole thing has been controversial - see http://articles.latimes.com/2012/aug...lyzer-20120826

Winter Tire Rentals Munich, Germany
Vacation Property Rentals
Old 12-23-2012, 12:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 128i Convertible
Yikes! I wonder if Hertz put one in the Renault Clio I'm driving here in Normandy? No mention was made at the Hertz rental counter.
2012 BMW 128i Convertible (red)
2013 MINI Cooper Coupe (red)
2011 Ford Fiesta (grey)
Old 12-30-2012, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: ED 330i
All season m&S are standard on BMW sedans and will serve just fine. We drove them thru snow in Germany, Austria,Italy and Switzerland without any problems in February. The real issue is not driving on brand new tires which have good traction, it is driving too fast on icy roads when temps drop below freezing.