Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 02-25-2016, 11:19 PM

Mein Auto: 1984 528e
1984 528e total restoration HELP!!!

So I am a newbie when it comes to e28s. My father has had one for a while and I recently decided to take it off his hands for a while and restore it for him. The car has a slew of problems but still runs and drives so I want to get it in good enough shape to last another 200,000 miles, but I don't know where to start and came here for advice. These are the more difficult problems I'm facing:
-The speedometer gauge rarely works and is inaccurate when it does
-The temperature gauge is totally broken and randomly jumps around
-The gas mileage gauge rarely coincidentally happens to work while the speedo also happens to work
-The heat and air conditioning do not work at all, but the vents still blow strong
-The interior lights, automatic door locks, radio, and cigarette lighter no longer work even though they recently did
-The cruise control doesn't work

I was thinking of flushing the radiator 5 or 6 times and replacing the thermostat and separately flushing the heating core while I'm at it. I've filled and recharged my ac lines and I still don't get any cold air at all so I have no idea whats going on there.

I don't have any idea on what to do with the gauges and the electric shorts, so this is my SOS. Any help would be greatly appreciated and would eventually make my old man a very happy one with a good e28!
Advertisement
Old 02-26-2016, 03:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i 1989
I am thinking you need a new instrument cluster. You can get a good used one for 65 to 85 dollars. I would look for it on mye28.com. With the heat the heater valve has probably gone bad, you can get a rebuild kit on bavauto for around 60. With the ac I have no idea. But the most important thing is to make sure that the TIMING BELT is changed, remember every 60,000 miles or 4 years. If this is not done you have a good chance of the belt breaking and turning the engine into a large paper weight. Sorry no idea about the interior lights.

Andy
Old 06-29-2016, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: 1983BMW528e
I had the same problem with my speedo and mpg gauge. I ended up replacing my gauge cluster and found that not to resolve my particular issue. So, the speedo runs off the differential sensor in the axel, since yours is acting up and not dead the sensor is proabably good, but you can check it with a multi meter, set to check resistance (ohms). You'll need the car in nutral and one back tire off the ground so you can spin it by hand. I found my problem to be that the return wire coming back from the sensor was bad and would connect, disconnect as I was going down the road resulting in the speedo/mpg gauge issue.

You can test it by using a jumper wire, at least I did. Just connect a wire to the plug, where the signal returns, then run it over to where the wire plugs back in to the speedo. I just ran the wire up the wheel well, through the window, a cross my lap and to the gauge cluster, which I was holding in the dash so it wouldn't fall out. Just an fyi, if you do remove the gauge cluster, you'll have to pull the steering wheel first.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
air conditioning, door locks, electrical, gauges, heat, lights, project, radio, restoration

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)
Today's Posts Search