Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 11-21-2012, 07:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Cleaning Idrive Screen

I'm pretty sure we discussed this before but I can't locate the thread.

How are you guys cleaning the screens without scratching them up?

I found a little finger smudge on mine (don't know how since I never touched it) and when I went to lightly remove some of the dust with my finger to wipe the smudge, it seems I out some light scratches on it that's only visible in direct light.

Does anyone think its possible to remove the scratches? They are in the lower left corner and not really visible but I know they're there. What a fragile screen they have us.
Advertisement
Old 11-22-2012, 04:45 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinj6 View Post
I'm pretty sure we discussed this before but I can't locate the thread.

How are you guys cleaning the screens without scratching them up?

I found a little finger smudge on mine (don't know how since I never touched it) and when I went to lightly remove some of the dust with my finger to wipe the smudge, it seems I out some light scratches on it that's only visible in direct light.

Does anyone think its possible to remove the scratches? They are in the lower left corner and not really visible but I know they're there. What a fragile screen they have us.
I use the same Costco microfiber cloths that I use for pretty much everything else detail related. If the screen is really bad I will use a cloth that is slightly wetted with a non-amonia window cleaner (like Invisible Glass). I once thought I had scratches and it turned out to be very thin streaks of some sort. Try the above and see if they come off.

OFF TOPIC: Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I feel like the people on this forum are my friends, in a remote kind of way. We should be thankful that we have the means to drive such amazing vehicles. Best to all.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2012 650i xDrive
+1 to both.

I use a damp microfiber to wipe down the interior to get rid of the dust. I've been doing this for a while and my screen looks perfect.

Y'all are pretty awesome and add so much to the 6er experience. Other forums just can't compete, and I think this has a lot to do with the personality of most 6 Series customers. We don't take ourselves or our cars too seriously and appreciate this forum for its endless supply of education, humor, and community.

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
http://www.youtube.com/user/Southern6er22
http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/
Old 11-22-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
I use the same Costco microfiber cloths that I use for pretty much everything else detail related. If the screen is really bad I will use a cloth that is slightly wetted with a non-amonia window cleaner (like Invisible Glass). I once thought I had scratches and it turned out to be very thin streaks of some sort. Try the above and see if they come off.

OFF TOPIC: Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I feel like the people on this forum are my friends, in a remote kind of way. We should be thankful that we have the means to drive such amazing vehicles. Best to all.
Thank you very much!!! Actually, now that I think about it, it could very well be streaks from the fingerprint oil. At least I was hoping this whole time that it is. So there's still hope . I seriously used virtually no finger pressure to remove the dust in the area.

I was afraid to put anything to that screen. Was thinking about using the compressed air can keyboard dust removers but was afraid that the air would move the dust particles in an abrasive manner. JONNYCHIRO posted that his dealership scratched the crap out of one of their floor model screens and a friend of mine has a really bad looking screen on her X6 as well. I thought I fell victim.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours and everyone!!! This is really a great group. It's too bad we're all too far apart to do a meet and greet.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
+1 to both.

I use a damp microfiber to wipe down the interior to get rid of the dust. I've been doing this for a while and my screen looks perfect.

Y'all are pretty awesome and add so much to the 6er experience. Other forums just can't compete, and I think this has a lot to do with the personality of most 6 Series customers. We don't take ourselves or our cars too seriously and appreciate this forum for its endless supply of education, humor, and community.
Thanks, Southey. Looks like microfiber rules here. Gotta get some.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 650 x-drive m-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinj6 View Post
Thank you very much!!! Actually, now that I think about it, it could very well be streaks from the fingerprint oil. At least I was hoping this whole time that it is. So there's still hope . I seriously used virtually no finger pressure to remove the dust in the area.

I was afraid to put anything to that screen. Was thinking about using the compressed air can keyboard dust removers but was afraid that the air would move the dust particles in an abrasive manner. JONNYCHIRO posted that his dealership scratched the crap out of one of their floor model screens and a friend of mine has a really bad looking screen on her X6 as well. I thought I fell victim.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours and everyone!!! This is really a great group. It's too bad we're all too far apart to do a meet and greet.
Hockeyman, Im just across the Delaware!! Happy T Day.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:09 PM

I already met two F12/13 Forum members (JONNYCHIRO and Thom.one.two).

The more the merrier

Same to you!
Old 11-23-2012, 04:57 AM

Mein Auto: X6, F150, 650i xDrive Cnv
Hope all had a great Thanksgiving. We hit 70 degrees here in Northern MI yesterday and my baby had to sit in the garage with the cover on her as I discontinued collision insurance till spring....bummer. Today we're supposed to get 4" of the white stuff, high of 30 degrees. Will spend the rest of the weekend in one of my deer blinds hoping to see a large buck.
Getting a new Boss Plow installed on the F150 Tues, not quite as exciting as Dinan Stage 2, but will have to do for now. Looking forward to plowing my driveway this winter with a hot cup of Java and my Griffon sitting next to me, listening to Steely Dan.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:27 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E63
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
+1 to both.

+2. You can either use this microfiber mitt, or sometimes I just keep one 16x16 microfiber towel in the car to clean the interior (including the screen), one in the trunk to clean the exterior occasionally when you don't need a complete carwash. MicroPak is an awesome seller; I've been using his products since my E46
11' F10 550i JetBlk
11' E82 135i MontegoB
10' E70 X5 SpaceG (retired)
09' F01 BlkS (retired)
07' E92 MontegoB (retired)
06' E85 MontegoB (retired)
05' E63 MinAg (retired)
04' E60 SilverG (retired)
04' E46 ImolaR (retired)
98' E39 JetBlk (retired)
Old 12-09-2012, 10:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i
I use the extra cleaning cloth that my optometrist provides for my glasses. I figure they are soft enough to not scratch my plastic lens, it should be gentle enough to clean the iDrive screen. Also, the cloth is small enough its easy to maneuver around the screen.

2013 BMW 550i
Titanium Silver | Black | M Sport