Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E21 (1975 - 1983)

E21 (1975 - 1983)

Old 11-21-2012, 06:57 PM
David Crevenston

Mein Auto: 1983 320i 1.8 Manual
83 320i help with thermostat ?

Hello To 1st off as you guys are great on here.
I am back on here have a question need some advice and help with. I changed my thermostat because I did not feel the bottom hose warm/hot when the car was warmed up. My car has a lot of new parts and everything is fine on the car and running okay but still 1 problem the bottom hose does/will not get hot/warm even after I drive the car hard. I am at a loss here the only 3things I can think of that might make this happen are.... 1 maybe I did not mix the coolant correctly (I put 50/50 pre mix in) 2 there might be a air pocket somewhere in 1 of the hoses or 3 perhaps my alternator belt is not tight enough it seems okay to me though perhaps it might be a little loose. I am at a loss here and need your help on what to do/check next. For clarification purposes let me narrow down what is not the problem.....
installed 2 new thermostats so that is not the problem (2 so I knew the 1st was not faulty) new radiator, hoses, coolant.
Some more info the car does not overheat, the heat is fine. The only thing to add is sometimes the temp gauge will go a little over 1/2 mark but then it comes back down.
So again no problems with car other then the bottom radiator hose will not get hot/warm to the touch after car has been driven for some time. Could this be because its not hot enough outside? The temp now is around 50-60f outdoors in the daytime. Please advise me if any of you have had this problem and what you think it could be caused by thanks again.
Ads by Google
Old 11-21-2012, 07:17 PM
Clever ***le Here

Send a message via Skype™ to Axuise
Mein Auto: 1982 320i 5 speed
do you mean the radiator hose or the hose to the heater core? theres two hoses leading to the firewall to the heater core for that blower. have u checked to see if the water valve is actually opening from the hot/cold dial? or maybe it needs to be flushed? couple things off the top of my head that hasnt been mentioned so far. maybe that will help?
Old 11-21-2012, 07:30 PM
David Crevenston

Sorry I thought I was clear let me clarify the bottom hose too the radiator. All other hoses get hot fine except the bottom hose that goes to the bottom of the radiator
Old 11-24-2012, 12:21 AM
Old School

Mein Auto: E23;E30;E38;E32;E34 +
It sound like you have an excelent radiator! No problems.
Previous:
E21 318i; E30 318i; E32 735iL; E34 535i; E38 730iL; E53 4.4i
Old 11-24-2012, 06:08 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
how old is the radiator?? do you have a temp gun to read the temps?? *usually* this is an indicator of a restricted radiator, but would also be accompanied by an overheating condition.

it sounds as if the rad is very efficient, but color me skeptical. i always recommend taking actual temp readings as opposed to the hand method.

df
Old 11-24-2012, 09:57 AM
David Crevenston

I can't stop laughing at your picture with the puppets cracking me up where did you get that so I can get one....?
Well I am going to harbor freight today to get a laser thermometer to check the temperatures however I just realized something here. It is not that hot outside now and the car is not overheating so its quite possible I am being over cautious here and the car is fine. I will have to measure the temp with the gun then wait till it gets a little hotter outside or drive the car really hard then check the bottom hose of the radiator. I am a good owner so I make sure that if its not like the book says I will fix/change it to make it right. Most people are not like me I took this car to a mechanic already to get a 2nd opinion and he told me the car is fine everything looks and smells okay so just DRIVE THE F............... CAR MAN. Wow maybe I should go out and do some donuts in his parking lot........
If I did that I would probably end up like your picture I like so much.....lol