Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 04-11-2013, 05:42 PM
csphysio csphysio is offline
Registered User
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sportline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
There are 3 single unused battery slots in that photo.
Thanks!
Guess you're getting another PM!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-18-2013, 02:46 AM
imagineandfeel imagineandfeel is offline
Imagineandfeel
Location: Beverly Hills California
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i
JL Audio XD600/6

Thanks for all the good in info Technic.
You are greatly appreciated.
I'll PM you about the JL Audio XD600/6 installation as well.
In you opinion should I go that route or wait it out for the BSW replacement speakers?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-18-2013, 03:08 AM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
Test... 1, 2 ,3
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,880
Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineandfeel View Post
Thanks for all the good in info Technic.
You are greatly appreciated.
I'll PM you about the JL Audio XD600/6 installation as well.
In you opinion should I go that route or wait it out for the BSW replacement speakers?
I suggest keeping the OEM speakers and adding just an aftermarket amp/DSP. That's where the biggest audio improvement for the money and effort is.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-10-2013, 11:50 AM
RobertaZ RobertaZ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 158
Mein Auto: 2013 F30, 704 SS option
I've also pretty much decided on the JL XD600/6 amp, but was wondering how much of a difference adding a Cleansweep &/or Morel 4" speakers will make to the overall sound. My installer wants $3k to do it all, but I'm wondering if that's overkill (for the record, I am very fussy when it comes to sound and use only tubed equipment in my home). Any advice and help is GREATLY appreciated.

Roberta

Last edited by RobertaZ; 05-15-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-31-2013, 11:35 AM
Mashuri Mashuri is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 139
Mein Auto: 2012 335i Sport
Thank God for this thread! I can't stand the F30 HiFi sound and really want to improve it. Technic, can you please PM me the XD600 instructions too? Also, I really cannot stand the tweeters in this system. Too much sibilance and quite harsh. Does the amp upgrade remedy this problem or should I replace them? I'm quite fond of Vifa's XT25 ring radiator tweeters but am wondering how hard it would be to integrate them into the system. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-04-2013, 11:35 AM
f30jojo f30jojo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: germany
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 928
Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Re: Upgrading the F30 stock (non-HK) sound system

Imho, I think the standard speakers in the f30 are more than adequate. If you want to destroy the image of the vehicle by "bumping" around town... Then Buy an Infiniti...

Sent from my LT18i using BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-04-2013, 01:47 PM
RobertaZ RobertaZ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 158
Mein Auto: 2013 F30, 704 SS option
Quote:
Originally Posted by f30jojo View Post
Imho, I think the standard speakers in the f30 are more than adequate. If you want to destroy the image of the vehicle by "bumping" around town... Then Buy an Infiniti...
I'm not sure what is the point of this post. Obviously the previous poster doesn't like the sound of the stock speakers.....and neither do I. What does changing hidden speakers have to do with "bumping around town"? Stick with the subject matter and be constructive.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-04-2013, 01:50 PM
EstorilF30 EstorilF30 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 486
Mein Auto: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by f30jojo View Post
Imho, I think the standard speakers in the f30 are more than adequate. If you want to destroy the image of the vehicle by "bumping" around town... Then Buy an Infiniti...

Sent from my LT18i using BimmerApp mobile app
Calling you out for this since I know both myself and many other forum members love playing music loud ... why not? It's fun.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-15-2013, 07:15 AM
F30 SA F30 SA is offline
Registered User
Location: South Africa
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: F30 320i
Hi. Has anybody found/fitted a plug n play sub as yet?

Reviews?

Tx
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-04-2013, 02:46 PM
Jasvindertalafa Jasvindertalafa is offline
Registered User
Location: London
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: F30 320d sports
Smile Underseat sub f30 320d 2012

Hi

The earthquake sws-8 2ohm is a good option.

Or the mb quart package subs are good.

you can get mtx or p3sd4 8 inch will fit with modifications

I have 2 Rockford amps p1000x5d and p300x2 and a sound processor

Focal 100krs on the front doors precision power tweeters in the back.

12 inch Rockford sub in the boot and p3sd4 8 inch underseat.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-16-2014, 09:10 AM
Damn Dirty Ape Damn Dirty Ape is offline
Registered User
Location: Carbondale, Il.
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 52
Mein Auto: 2013 328i XDrive M-Sport
Is there an amp upgrade path that allows retention of the center channel/speaker?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-16-2014, 02:07 PM
Craig_ Craig_ is offline
Registered User
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 14
Mein Auto: 2014 F31 xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape View Post
Is there an amp upgrade path that allows retention of the center channel/speaker?
I've been working on the answer to this question (with tons of help from Technic) for a while now. The only current aftermarket hardware I could find were full-blown digital surround sound processors which are expensive and may interfere with the quality of your Bluetooth hands-free conversations. My guess is that today, most aftermarket head units have built in surround processing. Therefore, there is little to no market for uni-task imaging devices anymore. This led me to research old-school equipment available on ebay or Craigslist.

The best solution I found is the combination of a JL Audio XD800/8v2 and an AudioControl ESP-3. The ESP3 does exactly what we need for the HiFi: Create a center channel. However, they rarely come up for auction. In addition, make sure you find one WITH the remote. The remotes are no longer available and the device's spatial restoration function is turned off without the remote.

One downside to this setup is that one channel of the AMP goes unused. I initially planned on using this last channel for a small sub. However, since it is a single channel I am having a hard time finding a way to create a mono signal to feed it. In addition, if I add a sub I would want to band-pass the under-seat woofers which will require yet another piece of equipment.

DO NOT attempt to create a center channel by summing L+R via a y-cable. After tons of research I found this to be a big no-no. (see this link for more info: http://www.rane.com/note109.html)

I would advise against looking at the Fosgate RFQ-5000. Just yesterday I hooked one up and fried it. From what I can tell, this device does not support balanced inputs. I found the design schematic online and discovered that the diode which almost caught fire was part of the isolated ground circuit. Even more interesting is that I hooked the device up without power. The only wires connected to the device were the preamp inputs, ground wire and the remote turn on wire (I forgot to reconnect the main fuse at the battery so the + wire was disconnected). Either I (1) got a defective device, (2) the remote turn on fried it for some reason or (3) the balanced inputs fried it. Either way, I see a 66.6% chance that it is incompatible with the HiFi system.

My current setup is an XD800/8v2 with the ESP3 sans remote. To me, getting the center channel up and running did improve the sound stage a bit. However, I am not sure it was worth the $150 I paid for the ESP3 that was missing the remote. I really want to know what it sounds like with a remote but that will cost me another ~$200!

I've also been looking into ditching the center channel and installing a sub that will use two bridged channels from the XD800. The advantage here is that the amp will internally create the mono signal for the sub. The problem here is that the XD800 requires a 4ohm load or higher on the bridged channels. The sub I want operates at 2 ohms.

All of this leads me back to what Technic has said over and over: Get an XD600 and call it a day. If I had it to do all over again I would have waited for an F31 with the HK system. Our E92 has the HK system and in my opinion it still blows the XD800 setup out of the water. While both systems get equally loud, the HK system has a better soundstage. Maybe if I spent another $800-$1000 upgrading the speakers I could get closer to the HK...but I know I am never going to be able to achieve quite what BMW+Harman Kardon engineers have done.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-09-2014, 02:34 PM
adamsb6 adamsb6 is offline
Registered User
Location: Bellevue, WA
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: 2014 328d
I just leased a 2014 328d yesterday, and I'm kicking myself for not giving the sound system more than a cursory listen. I don't consider myself an audiophile and assumed standard would be sufficient, but this system sounds terrible. I've listened to stock systems in non-luxury cars that easily sound better than this one.

I called my dealer to see what my options were, and we can't go Harmon Kardon with a car that wasn't built with it. He recommended I hit up a store like Car Toys and see what they can do.

I checked under my front seats and was surprised to see that I've got an 8" sub under each, so it looks like I've got the high-fi, not the "stock" audio sold in Europe.

Has anyone tried just replacing the speakers and gotten good results? I don't want to wire for an aftermarket amp since this is a lease. I think I might do well to replace just the subs, but I don't know if what I dropped in would get enough power to sound good.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-11-2014, 11:19 AM
Sirfatty Sirfatty is offline
Registered User
Location: Tampa FL
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2013 328I
so forgive me i must not being thinking correctly here, but the JL Audio XD600/6 being 6 channels how is that enough to power all the hi fi speakers?

channel 1/2 - Front Tweeters
channel 3/4 - Front Mids
channel 5/6 - Underseat Woofers
then you would need channels 7/8 for the rears

I am planning on keeping the stock speakers and are tryingto figure out if i want to go amp or dsp and amp. i know my dps setup but im trying to reasearch what i can just do amp wise?

Are people with the amp keeping the stock amp to power the rear fills or does the base hifi use channel 1/2 for both the mids and tweeters with some type of hidden crossover?
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-11-2014, 01:12 PM
Michael Schott Michael Schott is online now
Moderator
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,162
Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirfatty View Post
so forgive me i must not being thinking correctly here, but the JL Audio XD600/6 being 6 channels how is that enough to power all the hi fi speakers?

channel 1/2 - Front Tweeters
channel 3/4 - Front Mids
channel 5/6 - Underseat Woofers
then you would need channels 7/8 for the rears

I am planning on keeping the stock speakers and are tryingto figure out if i want to go amp or dsp and amp. i know my dps setup but im trying to reasearch what i can just do amp wise?

Are people with the amp keeping the stock amp to power the rear fills or does the base hifi use channel 1/2 for both the mids and tweeters with some type of hidden crossover?
I'm no expert but if there are aftermarket speakers that are better than the OEM versions, that would seem to be the best way to quickly upgrade the sound. I've always been taught that improving the sound source is fastest way to better sound. Then again, great speakers with a poor amplifier are a waste.

Can someone illuminate me on whether the speakers or electronics are the weakest part of the std OEM sound system?

Edit: I read Technic's post above saying replacing the amp is more beneficial. I'd like to know why.

Last edited by Michael Schott; 02-11-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-11-2014, 02:26 PM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
Test... 1, 2 ,3
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,880
Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post

Edit: I read Technic's post above saying replacing the amp is more beneficial. I'd like to know why.
For the money, replacing the OEM amp is more sound-effective than replacing the speakers in BMWs.

A pair of good quality components just for the front is about $300; Morel Hybrid Ovation II are about $750 a pair for example. And that's only for the front doors. The BSW set (front, rear, center) is $999 for the HiFi and it does not replace the underseat woofers. A XD600/6 is about $350-$400, powering all the speakers minus the center channel. With the XD amp the OEM amp DSP is gone and with it any built-in curves, attenuations, fixed crossovers, time delays. Now the audio goes straight from the iDrive balanced outputs into the XD. User controls the amp gains and crossovers.

The OEM speakers then will have more headroom power, distortion most probably gets down to less that 1% from about 10% OEM. Music is clearer, deeper and louder. You can set your system so front speakers are by default louder that rears, woofers louder than all, or any combination of that. You may try a lower crossover HP for the fronts, or a higher LP for the woofers.

You can control your system further than OEM. The more that you control the better the sound you will get.

I have been using OEM speakers for the last 6 years with about 1000W RMS aftermarket power and not one have blown up yet. As long as the OEM speakers filters are set to the proper frequencies (front, rear, center HP of no less than 160Hz, underseat woofers not asked to be subwoofers) they will last for a long time with higher power than OEM.

For sure the OEM woofers sound the best with aftermarket power of about 100W RMS each.

Or you can change all the speakers if you like the OEM amp fundamental DSP settings/curve. That will also improve the sound up to a point -it will not be much louder than before the new speakers, but the sound will be clearer (especially from the new tweeters) but not any deeper. Increasing the volume will just show the limitations of 205W max (not RMS) of a small form-factor, limited current amp.

So this is a matter of money and effort.

Last edited by Technic; 02-11-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-11-2014, 03:57 PM
Michael Schott Michael Schott is online now
Moderator
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,162
Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
For the money, replacing the OEM amp is more sound-effective than replacing the speakers in BMWs.

A pair of good quality components just for the front is about $300; Morel Hybrid Ovation II are about $750 a pair for example. And that's only for the front doors. The BSW set (front, rear, center) is $999 for the HiFi and it does not replace the underseat woofers. A XD600/6 is about $350-$400, powering all the speakers minus the center channel. With the XD amp the OEM amp DSP is gone and with it any built-in curves, attenuations, fixed crossovers, time delays. Now the audio goes straight from the iDrive balanced outputs into the XD. User controls the amp gains and crossovers.

The OEM speakers then will have more headroom power, distortion most probably gets down to less that 1% from about 10% OEM. Music is clearer, deeper and louder. You can set your system so front speakers are by default louder that rears, woofers louder than all, or any combination of that. You may try a lower crossover HP for the fronts, or a higher LP for the woofers.

You can control your system further than OEM. The more that you control the better the sound you will get.

I have been using OEM speakers for the last 6 years with about 1000W RMS aftermarket power and not one have blown up yet. As long as the OEM speakers filters are set to the proper frequencies (front, rear, center HP of no less than 160Hz, underseat woofers not asked to be subwoofers) they will last for a long time with higher power than OEM.

For sure the OEM woofers sound the best with aftermarket power of about 100W RMS each.

Or you can change all the speakers if you like the OEM amp fundamental DSP settings/curve. That will also improve the sound up to a point -it will not be much louder than before the new speakers, but the sound will be clearer (especially from the new tweeters) but not any deeper. Increasing the volume will just show the limitations of 205W max (not RMS) of a small form-factor, limited current amp.

So this is a matter of money and effort.
Thank you so much for the quality info! I had no idea new drivers would be so pricey!
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-11-2014, 09:17 PM
AndrewEngineer AndrewEngineer is offline
Registered User
Location: Phoenix, AZ
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 44
Mein Auto: BMW 320i + Jeep
Technic,

I see a lot of posts from you in these audio threads and lots of references to PMing you. What is being shared?

I am very interested in the amp recommendation (xd600), keeping oem speakers. Besides buying amp, what is the process to install it? Any oddities, special parts, etc? (i have a 2014 320i with HiFi system)

Although i am impressed at how good this system sounds stock, it is disappointing compared to systems i put in my other cars. what i feel is really lacking is depth (bass) and volume -- you cant get it too loud while still sounding good. (high quality MP3s off USB)

i dont need rap level bass, but a deep response to hear. in my wrangler i installed new speakers and a mini sub under seat (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-pvFWter...nce-B-8PT.html); overall great sound. would like the underseat woofers to get closer to that performance. (not sure of their specs, except being two 8in woofers)

id love your perspective on if the amp can help along above points.
__________________
2014 BMW 320i (w Sports package)

Last edited by AndrewEngineer; 02-11-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms