Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:01 AM
Software Engineer

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey0509 View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I am not convinced it is simply a problem with Sirius. My home satellite radio is a tiny XMp3i that sits in a docking station. It is connected to a Bose music system. But irregardless as to what it is connected to, I can use it as a portable device with headphones and it still sounds equally great - no underwater sounds, no tinny sounds. So you need to explain to me why the same signal source can have that much of a difference unless the car unit decoding the signal is at fault. Please lets' hear from others with a similar problem so I can go to BMW with factual ammunition to get this problem resolved, not only for me but apparently for others with the same problem.
again, its not your radio. Its the awful service you are using called Satellite radio. If the car didn't come with a year free I would not be using it. In fact I don't even use it, much rather listen to Spotify then XM/Sirus

2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 11-28-2012, 02:05 PM
SECDEF

Mein Auto: 2009 328xi Montego Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabadoo25 View Post
All the Asian cars have XM, not Sirius. While the content is 95% the same, the channel numbers differ in some cases.
OK I thought it was all the same now. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i
Angry 2013 328i Poor Satellite Radio Sound Quality

The sound quality in my 2013 328i is AWFUL! The music drags and produces a terrible, slow speed distorted, tinny effect. The FM radio and iTunes music via iPhone sound perfect, so I know it's not a problem with the radio or speakers.

I installed an after market XM satellite radio system in my 2002 325i that sounded perfect. I have also been in 2013 and 2014 models of non-BMW cars and SUVs and the sound is perfect. Why is BMW's system so inferior? I took it to my dealer and the tech agreed that there is a problem, but doesn't know what it is. He said he researched the issue and found complaints with many other late model cars which is not the case per my experience. He blames Sirius which sounds like a cop out. Why would other new cars have great Sirius sound as well as my old after market system? Any ideas from anyone on his/her experience and what to do about it?
Old 09-23-2013, 11:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Re: Poor sound quality on satellite radio in new BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenlady View Post
The sound quality in my 2013 328i is AWFUL! The music drags and produces a terrible, slow speed distorted, tinny effect. The FM radio and iTunes music via iPhone sound perfect, so I know it's not a problem with the radio or speakers.

I installed an after market XM satellite radio system in my 2002 325i that sounded perfect. I have also been in 2013 and 2014 models of non-BMW cars and SUVs and the sound is perfect. Why is BMW's system so inferior? I took it to my dealer and the tech agreed that there is a problem, but doesn't know what it is. He said he researched the issue and found complaints with many other late model cars which is not the case per my experience. He blames Sirius which sounds like a cop out. Why would other new cars have great Sirius sound as well as my old after market system? Any ideas from anyone on his/her experience and what to do about it?
Please see my post 3 or 4 above yours regarding Sirius vs. XM sound quality.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using BimmerApp mobile app
2012 Alpine White F30 328i Leather Dakota Everest Grey/Sport Line/Premium/Premium Sound/Technology/STEPTRONIC/Rear View Camera/Heated Front Seats/Park Distance Control/Xenons/BMW Assist w/Enhanced USB/BMW Apps
Old 09-23-2013, 03:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30, 704 SS option
The quality of satellite radio is beyond pitiful. Load up a 128GB flash drive with WAV files, plug it in under the armrest and hit the road!
Old 09-23-2013, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328ix GT
If you want a radio experience at higher quality use smartphone and try out MOG. I believe it integrates with iDrive and have a setting for 320kbps streaming and/or download quality. Like Spoitify but high quality audio. Anyone use MOG in their BMW? (waiting on my F34 delivery to test it in car)
Old 09-23-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyDigsBMW View Post
If you want a radio experience at higher quality use smartphone and try out MOG. I believe it integrates with iDrive and have a setting for 320kbps streaming and/or download quality. Like Spoitify but high quality audio. Anyone use MOG in their BMW? (waiting on my F34 delivery to test it in car)
MOG sounds amazing. Not surprisingly, navigating the menus in my 2012 is a little irritating.

Regardless, the complaining posters weren't asking for satrad alternatives. They already said their iPods sound fine.

2012 Alpine White F30 328i Leather Dakota Everest Grey/Sport Line/Premium/Premium Sound/Technology/STEPTRONIC/Rear View Camera/Heated Front Seats/Park Distance Control/Xenons/BMW Assist w/Enhanced USB/BMW Apps
Old 09-24-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Please see my post 3 or 4 above yours regarding Sirius vs. XM sound quality.

The Sirius sound quality in other new car brands with factory installed in-dash systems sounds really good.....as good as the after-market XM system in my old 2002 325i. My issue isn't XM vs Sirius or after-market vs factory installed. My question is why does BMW have such an inferior satellite system in new models compared, for example, to the built in Sirius system in the 2014 GMC Yukon?
Old 09-24-2013, 01:48 PM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Poor sound quality on satellite radio in new BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyDigsBMW View Post
MOG does sound great. For the record though, Spotify also offers 320kbps audio if you choose the "extreme" quality setting.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
The Sirius sound quality in other new car brands with factory installed in-dash systems sounds really good.....as good as the after-market XM system in my old 2002 325i. My issue isn't XM vs Sirius or after-market vs factory installed. My question is why does BMW have such an inferior satellite system in new models compared, for example, to the built in Sirius system in the 2014 GMC Yukon?
All I can tell you is that BMW stereos, and I have the HK version, are not on par with what you will find in Acuras and Lexuses.
They are very good for handling music with good low end sound like classic rock, but bad at handling higher ranges like in pop.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:51 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
I had a recent Ford Fusion and Jeep rentals before and satellite radio sounded pretty good on those. Not sure if it was XM or Sirius but the quality was close to mp3 and this was in pretty much a mid loaded car. Not sure what the case is with BMWs. I was regretting my decision not getting Sirius in my F30 but after the above comments, I think it was a good thing I didnt. Although with the rentals I noted as soon as i pass under a small overpass, the signal will go blank which was quite annoying and since its a direct satellite reception, it's expected.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
All I can tell you is that BMW stereos, and I have the HK version, are not on par with what you will find in Acuras and Lexuses.
They are very good for handling music with good low end sound like classic rock, but bad at handling higher ranges like in pop.

The regular radio in our present 2013 328i is far better sounding that in our two past Lexus OEM radios. No comparison at all. Perhaps for 2013 Toyota decided to drop a better radio in their new models, for those that didn't want to pay the extra thousands for their excellent upgrade radio.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugH View Post
The regular radio in our present 2013 328i is far better sounding that in our two past Lexus OEM radios. No comparison at all. Perhaps for 2013 Toyota decided to drop a better radio in their new models, for those that didn't want to pay the extra thousands for their excellent upgrade radio.
I was referring more to the high end, Mark Lershner(?) Lexus stereos or the ELS Acura ones.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:54 AM

What is MOG? Is there a subscription fee for Spotify and how does it compare to Sirius XM as far a channel line up, etc?
Old 11-07-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
What is MOG? Is there a subscription fee for Spotify and how does it compare to Sirius XM as far a channel line up, etc?
MOG and Spotify are comparable. I run Spotify, which is free for ad-supported use on a PC, and $10 a month for the mobile app with downloading enabled.

Sirius is a radio service - there are tons of channels but you listen to whatever is playing on any given channel, like traditional radio. With Spotify, you pick the music you want to listen to. Think of it as iTunes where all the music is available to you, whenever you want it, at no charge other than the subscription fee if you pay that.

Spotify and MOG also have "radio" functions where you can pick a song, album, or artist you like and they will play similar music, like Pandora.

I'm a musician too, when I have time to be one, and I sort of bemoan the Spotify streaming model because it pays the artists an unbelievably low share of the revenue.* But as a consumer I have to admit it kicks serious ass. I haven't bought a CD in the three years I've been using it.

* about half a penny per stream, on average. Source.

Last edited by WillInDenver; 11-07-2013 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 F30 335i Sedan
give it a week, you'll adjust to it.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328ix GT
Poor sound quality on satellite radio in new BMW

MOG is great. Like spotify. 320kbps quality (selectable option in app). $10/mo. Advantage over spotify because it integrates with idrive via connected drive. Works well.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-08-2014, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 428i
The answer to the sound quality issue in all new BMW

here is the SiriusXM link to the devices used in BMW vehicles: http://www.siriusxm.com/help/findsirius#BMWGroup
The complicated "technical" information per advanced research and SiriusXM in-house experts is this: "CIC/HighCIC Mid" units are high fidelity and are effectively a circuit board within BMW's own navigation head unit (and share the XM technology). "Champ2+" is a standalone Sirius receiver with subpar sound quality. The numerical difference in decoded sound between the two devices is 128-320 kb per second (in CIC) vs 32-64 kb per second (in Champ2+), thus it can be four times worse in the standalone version. To get the "better sound" one must order not just the Premium Package and Premium Sound Package - 16 Harman Kardon speakers, bla bla bla (which I ordered both for my brand new 428i), but also the Navigation Option or Technology Package (which I didn't order as it was never explained on the website or by the dealer that those options would anyhow affect the sound quality of the satellite radio (http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...nBoardNav.aspx).

I work in the music industry, and as crazy as it may sound - SiriusXM and its sound quality in the car is equally important to me as the car's performance itself. I feel cheated and pranked - like installing a Chevy Cruz engine into a Lamborghini body and selling it at a full Lamborghini price. I can't believe they even install that crap into a brand new 428! The delivered car has another another physical issue, so right now I'm working with the dealership to figure out the solutions. Big issue: the navigation or technology package are factory-installed, SO there's not much that can be done after-market to fix the issue...

If you care about the sound quality of your BMW's satellite radio - read the above carefully and think twice before foregoing that $2-3K upgrade option which is logically unrelated to the sound. I would've definitely paid the extra money and the dealer would've made the extra commission. BMW should make this issue public, visible, and educate the salesmen to educate the buyers about something that matters a lot, if even to a small group of people. Buying a premium brand - I expect to have all information disclosed, and that "small" issue is not small to me (and to thousands of other current and potential owners and everyone on this page).
Old 01-16-2014, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: 435 vert & X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri-m View Post
here is the SiriusXM link to the devices used in BMW vehicles: http://www.siriusxm.com/help/findsirius#BMWGroup
The complicated "technical" information per advanced research and SiriusXM in-house experts is this: "CIC/HighCIC Mid" units are high fidelity and are effectively a circuit board within BMW's own navigation head unit (and share the XM technology). "Champ2+" is a standalone Sirius receiver with subpar sound quality. The numerical difference in decoded sound between the two devices is 128-320 kb per second (in CIC) vs 32-64 kb per second (in Champ2+), thus it can be four times worse in the standalone version. To get the "better sound" one must order not just the Premium Package and Premium Sound Package - 16 Harman Kardon speakers, bla bla bla (which I ordered both for my brand new 428i), but also the Navigation Option or Technology Package (which I didn't order as it was never explained on the website or by the dealer that those options would anyhow affect the sound quality of the satellite radio (http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...nBoardNav.aspx).

I work in the music industry, and as crazy as it may sound - SiriusXM and its sound quality in the car is equally important to me as the car's performance itself. I feel cheated and pranked - like installing a Chevy Cruz engine into a Lamborghini body and selling it at a full Lamborghini price. I can't believe they even install that crap into a brand new 428! The delivered car has another another physical issue, so right now I'm working with the dealership to figure out the solutions. Big issue: the navigation or technology package are factory-installed, SO there's not much that can be done after-market to fix the issue...

If you care about the sound quality of your BMW's satellite radio - read the above carefully and think twice before foregoing that $2-3K upgrade option which is logically unrelated to the sound. I would've definitely paid the extra money and the dealer would've made the extra commission. BMW should make this issue public, visible, and educate the salesmen to educate the buyers about something that matters a lot, if even to a small group of people. Buying a premium brand - I expect to have all information disclosed, and that "small" issue is not small to me (and to thousands of other current and potential owners and everyone on this page).
I believe this information to be correct and people should really take notice to avoid any nasty surprises.

Gary J
ED May 6, 2014 thread
435i Convertible Estoril Blue. Dakota Black/Blue M Sport
plus pretty much everything else but Parking Assistant
Old 01-16-2014, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
I believe this information to be correct and people should really take notice to avoid any nasty surprises.
Well if it is true about the inferior bit rates on the lesser system, I feel bad for you because even with my HK system (2-E46s, 2-F30s), anything but Classical music sounds like ****e. FM HD or even regular FM is better.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:02 AM

It did not happen to me but apparently it does to anyone that does not have NAV.

Gary J
ED May 6, 2014 thread
Old 01-16-2014, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: ~
Welcome, yuri-m, and thank you for your very interesting first post.

Unfortunately, as I am certain you know, the sound of satellite radio remains dreadful even if one possesses the best possible receiver and decoding equipment. The signal is highly compressed is no better than a low bit-rate eMPty3 - replete with all the compression artifacts, ghastly timbre, poor transients, etc.

Satellite radio sound is execrable at best. I have BMW's "best" setup and the sound remains unlistenable. I appreciate others may find it acceptable or value the programming sufficiently to put up with the sound.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB View Post
Well if it is true about the inferior bit rates on the lesser system, I feel bad for you because even with my HK system (2-E46s, 2-F30s), anything but Classical music sounds like ****e. FM HD or even regular FM is better.
Interestingly, the classical stations and the salsa station receives a higher bit rate than the other music channels. They sound appreciably better.

The reason is that classical listeners are typically more astute and demanding as to sound quality, and salsa's percussive transients are obviously compromised with a lower bit rate.

(Please note there are many with other musical tastes with great ears. My comment is based on generalities and is not intended to insult anyone.)
Old 01-16-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post

Unfortunately, as I am certain you know, the sound of satellite radio remains dreadful even if one possesses the best possible receiver and decoding equipment. The signal is highly compressed is no better than a low bit-rate eMPty3 - replete with all the compression artifacts, ghastly timbre, poor transients, etc.

Satellite radio sound is execrable at best. I have BMW's "best" setup and the sound remains unlistenable. I appreciate others may find it acceptable or value the programming sufficiently to put up with the sound.
Agreed. I've got the Premium Sound option and the navigation system (albeit in an F10) and the Sirius sound quality is notably inferior to FM radio. It's notably inferior to a well executed fart, truth be told. Unlistenable.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-16-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post

Apparently you missed his point entirely - that there is a huge difference between radio models in BMWs. Especially with regard to expectations because of what options you did or did not pay for.

This has nothing to do with your opinions of satellite radio in general, your opinion of the channels one chooses or your opinion of the satellite signal in general.

Gary J
ED May 6, 2014 thread