Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-22-2012, 07:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Just changed my intake boot, what a PITA

Finally tackled replacing my intake boot. It took 1 hour to get everything out and apart and 2 hours to fit it all back together. Two people come in really handy. The plastic guard beside the brake booster is the worst. It is very very hard to finesse back into place. The air intake housing requires special attentiion when replacing as well.

The smaller flex tube coming out of the side was cracked on the inside of the bend, not on the outside like you would think. Why BMW manufactured this part with the smaller flex tube having to bend 90 degrees is beyond me. It should have been molded at the proper angle to attach to the engine and eliminate the bending and cracking that occurs as a result.

Anyway, this is a DIY project if you either are (I am not) or you have someone who is that is very patient, meticulous and detail oriented.
Ads by Google
Old 11-22-2012, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
I can sympathize. I replaced mine a few months ago on the X3. My DISA valve had gotten noisy, and needed replacement. I decided to replace the intake boot at the same time. I ended up needing to disassemble a lot more than I had planned. All went well, but patience and precision were definitely required.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3, Mercedes CLK500
Im able to do it start to finish now in about a half hour, I did it like 2 times in one day because I forgot to clean the IACV when I was in there...oops, taking the cabin air filter housing off and replacing it takes me the longest. I "modified" the plastic thing to go on and off easier
Old 11-23-2012, 05:56 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3, 1997 Chevy truck,
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointnine View Post
Im able to do it start to finish now in about a half hour, I did it like 2 times in one day because I forgot to clean the IACV when I was in there...oops, taking the cabin air filter housing off and replacing it takes me the longest. I "modified" the plastic thing to go on and off easier
what is the "IACV"?
Old 11-23-2012, 05:58 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3, Mercedes CLK500
ICV? The little valve that the side hose on the intake boot attaches to.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3, 1997 Chevy truck,
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointnine View Post
ICV? The little valve that the side hose on the intake boot attaches to.
appreciate that...thank you.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 x3 3.0, 2002 325i
I did the same thing this past weekend with an 05 with 120,000 miles. Concur on the plastic guard!