Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 11-23-2012, 09:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E36/4/5
Bust exhaust manifold needs to be swapped but a few q's first

Busted my exhaust manifold banging on speed bumps, blown stock shocks and bigger than normal bumps, new (used) suspension going in soon. So I am looking into just swapping in all new (used) M3 piping and having them put an x-pipe in place of the resonator while they are at it...

Now the question I have is this...
RealOem lists the studs I would need to replace as p/n: 11121744057 #11 in this diagram
But I have found around the interwebs that p/n: 11127593376 would work

Does anyone have anymore info whether they can be interchanged? I would think not? But the price difference is worth finding out prior to order...

I am looking at these 3 options:
from Pelican
from Turner
from ECS

any other options? Maybe FCP? Have I missed anywhere That may have a better deal?

TIA
Ads by Google
Old 11-24-2012, 04:29 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
i want to know how you busted your exhaust manifold (which one, there are 2....) without trashing the midpipe....

real oem lists them as $0.35 each, so i would check with the dealer to see what they have them listed as. i have bought things from the dealer and have had them shipped in to the parts department overnight before, and the pricing was much better than anything on the web. it was for a rear shock tower plate, btw...and again for fog light mounting brackets. bmw of turnersville rocks, btw!!

as for what will fit, you could use any m7x42mm stud. or, if you wished, a bolt of the same size. i would not go longer (by much, 2mm max), or shorter (at all) than oe specs.

as for the cost listed by turner (the only one i checked), maybe they are selling a bag of them as '1' unit?? you could call and check, but i don't think that they would be selling very many studs @ almost $3 each...

df
Old 11-24-2012, 11:45 AM

Bank 2 is busted and leaking...mushy suspension is how, it clears but when the fronts come off the bump the suspension compresses enough that the pipe (and chassis) bangs on it and gives a shock up the pipe cracking where the pipe bends to attach to the block...plus I looked under hood and there is a bit of loose cloth tape near it that moves due to exhaust gases when I rev by hand, and I stuck my hand in there when it's cold and can feel the exhaust coming out

Ecs has them for .99/piece
Pelican 3.50/piece
Turner is a kit, studs and nuts 90

May have to check with the dealer if they have it at .35 a piece

M7x42 is the size, so the 8x40 mentioned in the other thread is a no-go?
Old 11-24-2012, 03:37 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
the m7x42 is what is listed by real oem, so the m8 is too big, unless you wish to drill and retap...

df
Old 11-24-2012, 04:01 PM

gotchya so that's a no-go for the ecs item... the pelican and turner should work but still will be getting a price check at the dealer come monday... thanks