Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 50i M Performance
Is first MY really that bad an idea?

I'm thinking about selling my S4 for a high performance SUV--either an X5 50i with all the M options or an ML 550. With two kids, space is becoming an issue, but i don't want to lose the tossability of the S4 on the twisties near my house. I'm leaning towards the BMW, because the Mercedes is a nice car, but the X5 is a great DRIVER'S car. Even loaded up, I have difficulty picturing myself in an ML.

Based on my research, two things seem to be true. First, the current X5 is at the end of its life. Second, people REALLY dislike the first MY of any BMW.

I've got an angle on a great deal for a 2013 ($75k fully loaded), but am in no rush. Of course, if I'd be waiting for a lemon, I'd rather buy now.

So, honestly...is the 2014 really going to be the disaster everyone anticipates? Do we have any sense of what will be changing tech-wise (LED lights? Blind spot assist?)?

Thanks in advance, and hope to join your ranks soon!
Ads by Google
Old 11-24-2012, 12:25 PM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by safelder View Post
I'm thinking about selling my S4 for a high performance SUV--either an X5 50i with all the M options or an ML 550. With two kids, space is becoming an issue, but i don't want to lose the tossability of the S4 on the twisties near my house. I'm leaning towards the BMW, because the Mercedes is a nice car, but the X5 is a great DRIVER'S car. Even loaded up, I have difficulty picturing myself in an ML.

Based on my research, two things seem to be true. First, the current X5 is at the end of its life. Second, people REALLY dislike the first MY of any BMW.

I've got an angle on a great deal for a 2013 ($75k fully loaded), but am in no rush. Of course, if I'd be waiting for a lemon, I'd rather buy now.

So, honestly...is the 2014 really going to be the disaster everyone anticipates? Do we have any sense of what will be changing tech-wise (LED lights? Blind spot assist?)?

$75K is pretty pricey even for a 2013. You know that there are a LOT of incentives on these right now, right? Even the 2013s

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)
Old 11-24-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
$75K is pretty pricey even for a 2013. You know that there are a LOT of incentives on these right now, right? Even the 2013s
For a 50i with every option in the book? It's looking like around $12k below sticker. What am I missing here?
Old 11-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
Yes, I'd get a loaded E70 and lease it until the LCI for the next gen X5 is out.

Why? because no 1st MY BMW has ever been solid. Always problems. E70 is pretty bulletproof at this point (except the 35i with the N55/ZF transmission issues)
Old 11-24-2012, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: Lexus LS400
Quote:
For a 50i with every option in the book? It's looking like around $12k below sticker. What am I missing here?
Have you done your homework on this vehicle? do you know the options available on this car? I doubt you are getting every available option. If your angel vehicle has active cruise, lane departure, adaptive drive, active steering, leather dash and console, rear seat entertainment with luxury seating package and tech package for 75k, you need to purchase that truck right now and I need to return mine and get the deal your getting. I dont think X5 50is equipped like this are selling for 75k. Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you decide.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBusa View Post
Have you done your homework on this vehicle? do you know the options available on this car? I doubt you are getting every available option. If your angel vehicle has active cruise, lane departure, adaptive drive, active steering, leather dash and console, rear seat entertainment with luxury seating package and tech package for 75k, you need to purchase that truck right now and I need to return mine and get the deal your getting. I dont think X5 50is equipped like this are selling for 75k. Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you decide.
No lane departure (I want shift paddles instead, and I suspect it would annoy me after the tenth or so time I changed lanes w/o signaling), no leather console, and no rear seat entertainment, but everything else you list. I may leave behind the luxury seats--need to sit and compare to the M Sport seats and see what I prefer. Unless there are hidden options (something that MB does that, frankly, drove me insane while I was comparison shopping), I think I know what I'm looking at.

The deal I'm getting is through the USAA buying service. That sets my "worst case," but dealers are welcome to beat it (we got my wife's GL 450 last December for $66k, which represented about a $11k discount below sticker).
Old 11-24-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Maybe I am missing something

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
Old 11-24-2012, 04:53 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Regardind new BMW models, I wouldn't call it a disaster; however, the first year or two of major BMW redesign typically have more problems, e.g., the first year of the Z4 had poorly designed drains that clogged and caused many soft-top motors to rust-out in a few years, etc.

I myself would never buy the first model year of a major redesign myself, as not only do you often end-up with more problems, but it's harder to get good deals the first year or so. But then I'm a bit frugal.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Maybe I am missing something
Probably not...I'm the BMW newbie here. I've owned a bunch of Audis, but neither the Q5 nor Q7 is a good fit for me right now. And the premium for an S6 or S7 is tough to swallow.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 Audi A6
I'll preface this by saying that I am torn between the Cayenne and the X5 and i dont own either, but am in a similar situation to you. i have to weigh the driving experience vs the functionality of the car. For a decently equipped V8 Cayenne, you're looking at 75k with discounts (Cayenne S, prem plus). It has less interior storage, but is more stylish and has been recently updated. It handles better. But it isn't a true "5 seater" like the X5.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucktown View Post
I'll preface this by saying that I am torn between the Cayenne and the X5 and i dont own either, but am in a similar situation to you. i have to weigh the driving experience vs the functionality of the car. For a decently equipped V8 Cayenne, you're looking at 75k with discounts (Cayenne S, prem plus). It has less interior storage, but is more stylish and has been recently updated. It handles better. But it isn't a true "5 seater" like the X5.
I looked at the Cayenne S as well. I preferred the BMW--having "babysat" my day's 911 Carrera S while he recovered from some surgery this past summer, I've concluded that Porsche should stick to building Porsches. Besides, once I loaded up the S with everything I deemed it "needed," I was in turbo territory.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Do a search in the E70 section about X5 vs E70. We've discussed this at great lengths.

I, for one, am probably getting a Cayenne TDI in a couple years
Old 11-24-2012, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 Audi A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Do a search in the E70 section about X5 vs E70. We've discussed this at great lengths.

I know y'all have. I may only have 1 post, but I've used this website extensively in my research of the two vehicles. In fact, I've narrowed it down to the X5D and the Cayenne Diesel.

Last edited by Chucktown; 11-24-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I know y'all have. I may only have 1 post, but I've used this website extensively in my research of the two vehicles.
Well then, I think it's time to say welcome to BFest and the E70 secton then

If you've lurked this section, I'm sure you've read the pages and pages of Cayenne vs X5 arguments.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:49 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:

X5 vs E70?
Old 11-25-2012, 12:32 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
Quote:
E70 is pretty bulletproof at this point (except the 35i with the N55/ZF transmission issues)
On the contrary, my 35i has been a prime example of perfection for almost 3 years now. What chu talkin about Willis?
I can't believe years later some 35d owners still find the need to bash others to justify their purchase. I find that rather amusing.

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Old 11-25-2012, 06:13 AM
Stuart in Houston

Send a message via AIM to astrohip
Mein Auto: 2013 550i
Quote:

It seems your thread has devolved into a how much should I pay and an X5 versus everything else. I'll address the first model year.

I would never buy a BMW in its first MY, given any choice. We've had one, it happened to be the first X5 in my sig, and it was a disaster. Ok, small disaster.

In general, no matter how much research, planning, testing BMW does, until thousands hit the road, they never know what doesn't click right. Maybe an engine/transmission mismatch, or roof drains that need to be tweaked, or a couple dash buttons misplaced, or whatever. Worst case, suspension or major component problems. Sometimes software updates can handle the issues, but most of the time it takes until the SECOND model year is released for BMW to put all the fixes in place.

Each year tends to get better, and the last year is considered the creme de la creme of THAT particular model. But of course the offset is you are getting a last year car, when all the new stuff is right around the horizon.

Good luck with your decision!

Prior BMWs
2009 X5 4.8 White (w/hitch)
2007 550i Monaco Blue, Sport
2004 X5 4.4i
2003 540i M-Sport w/Dinan mods (last of the great E39's)
2002 X5 3.0
2000 540i Sport
1995 525i Sport
1991 325is
1986 325es
Old 11-25-2012, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Safe, if you are in Washington and need a performance SUV then why not consider a black 'slade to blend in with all the black suburbans and get a primo valet spot at Ruth's? If not, then a Jeep GC SRT8 provides awesome performance for not all that much coin -- and handles the horrible streets there with aplomb. Aside from the Range Rover there are only four current high performance SUV offerings in my mind. The ML63, X5M, Cayenne Turbo, and the JGC SRT8 -- I discounted the RR because of the horrible reliability ratings since you were concerned about a "first year car's problems".
Old 11-25-2012, 09:36 AM

We looked at the Rover when we got my wife's GL last year. We didn't really like it, on top of the reliability issues. Can't really see myself in anything not German at this point--been too long.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:03 AM

Thanks, Astrohip. Sounds like I'd be better off with a 2013 than a 2014 at whatever I have to pay for it. I generally don't lease, but still flip my cars every 3-4 years, which should put me in the sweet spot for a new gen X5 next go around.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0428 View Post
On the contrary, my 35i has been a prime example of perfection for almost 3 years now. What chu talkin about Willis?
I can't believe years later some 35d owners still find the need to bash others to justify their purchase. I find that rather amusing.
I know exactly what he's talking about. I drove 3 X5 35i's and they all had the lazy throttle accelerating from a stop which is hugely annoying. D or D/S mode doesn't make a difference. If you can live with it, which clearly you can, then enjoy the truck! I on the other hand chose the diesel as well for its no lag acceleration.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:23 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Quote:

A vehicle doesn`t truly reach a finished product (more like closest to the finished product) status until the very, very end of the production life of the vehicle (sometimes its still has some buggering issues). With any vehicle the first MY are like the second draft, where your gonna have some lingering issues, and stuff that needs to be corrected. The LCI models are the final draft, where all of the issues plaguing the second draft or initial vehicle launch have been corrected, however you'll still have stuff to work out. The final year is usually when you reach the closest to getting 95% of problems worked out (5% are usually the problems which you`ll probably see pop up after the warranty is finished).

That being said, you can see that you never really have a point besides maybe the final MY, that your gonna have the best, trouble-free MY. All you can do is enjoy the model year you have, and be happy. If stuff starts hitting the fan, that's where the warranty kicks in. People have reported getting a lemon from launch day till the EOP.

Now in regards to the 2014 F15 X5, expect a similar setup to upcoming LCI 5. You can get a glimpse of what that looks like from reading some of the stuff currently available on the pre-lci 5, and also some of the new gizmos from the facelifted LCI 7 series. In addition, expect a idrive layout (physical screen looks to be lifted and modded from the current F30).

Hope thats somewhat insightful

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 11-25-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Probably not...I'm the BMW newbie here. I've owned a bunch of Audis, but neither the Q5 nor Q7 is a good fit for me right now. And the premium for an S6 or S7 is tough to swallow.
The figure looked high because you could "almost" get into a new/old stock X5M for $85 so $75 for the non-M seemed but but perhaps it is in range more than I thought. I am "with you" on the Q-series not lining up as I went through the same thing. Have you looked at the Porsche Cayenne's at all? They are a bit quieter and the v6 version can be "nicely equipped" for UNDER $70K so if you are looking for alternatives, I would consider that in your list. I ended up buying a 2012 X5 diesel as it gives me what I wanted for about $8K less than the same thing in the Cayenne Diesel but I DID find a v6 Diesel that would have been around $62K

Old 11-25-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
The figure looked high because you could "almost" get into a new/old stock X5M for $85 so $75 for the non-M seemed but but perhaps it is in range more than I thought. I am "with you" on the Q-series not lining up as I went through the same thing. Have you looked at the Porsche Cayenne's at all? They are a bit quieter and the v6 version can be "nicely equipped" for UNDER $70K so if you are looking for alternatives, I would consider that in your list. I ended up buying a 2012 X5 diesel as it gives me what I wanted for about $8K less than the same thing in the Cayenne Diesel but I DID find a v6 Diesel that would have been around $62K
I drove the Cayenne S. As I said a few posts above, after having "babysat" my dad's 911 Carrera S for the summer while he recovered from surgery, I'm of the opinion that Porsche should stick to building Porsches (with the caveat that they'd probably no longer exist as a company but for the Cayenne, so there is that).

You raise an interesting point, however, about the X5 M. I hadn't considered it at all...but might now.

I guess the moral of the story here is that we should all be glad about our first world problems.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Did you drive the new Cayenne S (MY'13)? They have lightened up the pepper and made it much more responsive than past years (I think it started in MY'11). If you drove an "S" before the redo it would have not felt as quick. They are great cars IMHO.