Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 11-23-2012, 09:32 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Wink Upgrading idrive to BMW apps

Hi,

I just bought a BMW X3 with idrive. It connects my iphone 3GS properly and I can get the phone contacts and listen to my music either via bluethooth or via a regular iphone cable connected to the USB slot. I cannot get the BMW connected app to work from my iphone. It says that the communication failed. I also would like to see my calander, videos and SMS messages in idrive. I did not buy the idrive BMW apps option nor did I buy BMW connect with my car. I researched the Internet and I guess I need BMW apps on my idrive.

My questions are:
1) Can I upgarde my idrive to have BMW apps and/or BMW connect?
2) Is this just a SW upgrade or do I need additional HW?
3) Where and how can I get the ugrade?
4) Do I need to buy the snap in adapter or will the USB cable work the same?
5) What is the difference between the Audio & Media snap in adapters?

Thanks in advance for your respones!!
Ads by Google
Old 11-24-2012, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 328xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoraif View Post
Hi,

I just bought a BMW X3 with idrive. It connects my iphone 3GS properly and I can get the phone contacts and listen to my music either via bluethooth or via a regular iphone cable connected to the USB slot. I cannot get the BMW connected app to work from my iphone. It says that the communication failed. I also would like to see my calander, videos and SMS messages in idrive. I did not buy the idrive BMW apps option nor did I buy BMW connect with my car. I researched the Internet and I guess I need BMW apps on my idrive.

My questions are:
1) Can I upgarde my idrive to have BMW apps and/or BMW connect?
2) Is this just a SW upgrade or do I need additional HW?
3) Where and how can I get the ugrade?
4) Do I need to buy the snap in adapter or will the USB cable work the same?
5) What is the difference between the Audio & Media snap in adapters?

Thanks in advance for your respones!!
I don't think you can use this feature if you didn't include this option when you purchased the vehicle. I don't think it can be added post delivery/assembly of the vehicle, although I am not an expert on this subject. I would call your local bmw service dept. They will most certainly know the answer.

Normally, if you have this option, you need to d/l the bmw connected app for iphone and when you launch the app, the bmw apps will load in the idrive. The text/email features are not currently working correctly, and hopefully this will be corrected w/ a future software update, either from apple and/or bmw.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 xDrive35i
According to the BMW parts catalog, retrofit of BMW apps is possible. Here is the info for a 2012 X3 35i:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...11&hg=84&fg=95