Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: 04 Duramax 09 BMW X5
How to choose a servicing dealer

My new to me 09 X5 was purchased with 15,000 miles & 7+ months of factory warranty on it. However, located in NW MT I will have to travel for service and warranty work. For those who have purchased used units from someone other than a BMW dealer, how did you determine which dealer to take it to. It's approx. 250 miles to Spokane but we travel to the wet coast of WA often as we have family there.

I'd appreciate any insight or pearls of wisdom on how you made the choice of dealerships.
Advertisement
Old 12-15-2012, 07:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
DB, is Spokane the closest BMW dealer, or is there a closer one in some other direction? You might want to check on the regional boards here and get some ideas from fellow 'festers in your area. Good luck -- I probably would not have gotten a BMW with no dealer support anywhere reasonably close -- I would have gone down to the corner Chevy/Ford/Dodge/Toyota store and got one of those. But I am lazy.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:26 AM

J, yes Spokane is the nearest dealer and I have no first hand knowledge of it - it is a Lithia dealer which in the few times I've connected with Lithia dealers I have not been impressed. That said I should mention that this was with the sales force on two other dealers. I do see the "I would not own a BMW without dealer support" comment quite often in this forum; however, being in Montana I would be riding a horse rather than driving a motorized vehicle in following that advice, if you get my drift. I've done my own work on my vehicles since owning my first at age 13, granted I do seek dealer support on my warrantied rigs when needed and will when it is something beyond my knowledge base. After 57 years of owning and repairing vehicles in normal and emergency situations I feel comfortable in this ownership, hopefully my BMW will be as reliable as I expect it to be.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
I think more than "dealer",, you want to ask "what service advisor" should I talk to.

I had a good friend/coworker that moved to Denver. I checked around, found a few members on board I frequent that lived in Denver, AND put up a post asking for referrals. I got a few responses, but one with a detailed referral on the dealer and specifically his SA- what he liked about him, how they communicated, etc. He told me "If your friend goes to him, tell him XYZ sent her". Her experience was fantastic.

For me life is about personal relationships- everything is differentiated by personal contact. If you just roll into a dealer and take whatever SA is up next, you are missing quite a bit of the process. IMO Look at it from an SAs point of view: they are jsut more likely to communicate with you, cut you a break, follow up, think about what is beoing done, if they have some kind of relationship. If they have a good relationship with Bob, and you introduce yoruself with "Bob said you were the best guy here to work with, so I'd like to have you handle my service- nice to meet you", they will treat you differently than someone who jsut views them as a clerk.

My two cents

A
Old 12-15-2012, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag View Post
My new to me 09 X5 was purchased with 15,000 miles & 7+ months of factory warranty on it. However, located in NW MT I will have to travel for service and warranty work. For those who have purchased used units from someone other than a BMW dealer, how did you determine which dealer to take it to. It's approx. 250 miles to Spokane but we travel to the wet coast of WA often as we have family there.

I'd appreciate any insight or pearls of wisdom on how you made the choice of dealerships.

Before you go to the dealer for service, call BMW NA, and update all the ownership info.

Makes things smoother.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:13 PM

Thanks Ard; I totally agree and utilize the same tactics when possible and a referral would do wonders. Sometimes you can catch a person providing service on a bad day and miss out on a knowledgeable contact, first impressions can make or break a relationship no matter what kind. And perhaps someone in the NW will provide a referral in the same manner.

RockChips, thank you for that - I will get on that right away.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I think more than "dealer",, you want to ask "what service advisor" should I talk to.

I had a good friend/coworker that moved to Denver. I checked around, found a few members on board I frequent that lived in Denver, AND put up a post asking for referrals. I got a few responses, but one with a detailed referral on the dealer and specifically his SA- what he liked about him, how they communicated, etc. He told me "If your friend goes to him, tell him XYZ sent her". Her experience was fantastic.

For me life is about personal relationships- everything is differentiated by personal contact. If you just roll into a dealer and take whatever SA is up next, you are missing quite a bit of the process. IMO Look at it from an SAs point of view: they are jsut more likely to communicate with you, cut you a break, follow up, think about what is beoing done, if they have some kind of relationship. If they have a good relationship with Bob, and you introduce yoruself with "Bob said you were the best guy here to work with, so I'd like to have you handle my service- nice to meet you", they will treat you differently than someone who jsut views them as a clerk.

My two cents

A
Excellent advice here.

If you can't get a referral for an SA check out YELP and some other boards for information about dealers. 250 miles, Yikes! I believe if you ask around and search the web you'll be able to find someone capable who services BMW's closer to you. The obvious issue is that they won't be able to honor the first 50K miles of free maintenance nor do any warranty work.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:04 AM

Yes it is a long way, but we are not tripping over people and I suspect we could put a few New Jerseys in our physical confines, but we are used to traveling long distances for most anything. As far as servicing; I'll have to bone up on the required intervals & products to maintain the remaining warranty - although we travel to our two Son's homes on the coast where there are a large number of dealers. I appreciate all of the comments as I have been able to glean useable info from each.

Thanks to all.